The Lenwich sandwich shop on Columbus Avenue between 82nd and 83rd Street was closed after a fire late on Sunday that filled the building with smoke.
“There was an electrical fire in the basement of Lenwich that caused both 469 and 467 Columbus residential apartments to be evacuated,” wrote Michelle, a resident at 469 Columbus. “Fire department got there quickly and minimal to no damage occurred although Lenwich was shut down today due to immense amounts of smoke in building.” She sent the video below.
The next day, the store was cleaned out by employees.
“A bunch of guys in Lenwich tshirts and dust masks were carrying everything out of the store and up from the basement into a truck outside,” wrote Jason.
It’s not clear on when it will reopen. No one was answering the phone on Tuesday afternoon.
Correction: The fire was on Sunday, not Monday.