TEENS ON BIKES COMMITTING ROBBERIES IN RIVERSIDE PARK: POLICE

riverside park path
Photo by Howard Brier.

A string of robberies by teenagers on bicycles have police on alert, according to NYPD and a recent media report.

“This older guy had a knife,” the man said. “They approached me and started beating me; punching me in the face.”

There have been seven similar attacks since the end of July, police told CBS. Police say they have ramped up patrols in the park.

The 24th precinct raised an alert on twitter about the crimes.

We have reached out to Councilman Mark Levine and the commander of the 24th precinct to get more information about what and where the crimes have occurred, and any descriptions of the attackers.

NEWS, OUTDOORS | 35 comments | permalink
    1. dannyboy says:

More bike trouble?

2. bill smith says:

welcome to de blasio’s new york..

3. Maxx says:

And don’t forget to wear a helmet.
      And carry a big stick.

4. Jimbo says:

If arrested and convicted–HANG EM HIGH!!!

5. Mark says:

Que the Bill De Blasio comments, why don’t you call him Warren Wilhelm for originalty. That’ll get your point across to tell us how you really feel!

6. Independent says:

No identifying details? Just “teenagers on bicycles”? “Teenagers” can be anywhere from 13 to 19.

7. UWSHebrew says:

What do the teenagers look like? Are they Asian? Blonde with blue eyes?

8. Jason says:

And once again our safety, our children’s safety, and our property values continue to deteriorate in this “free for all” mayoral regime. Cue the “but crime is down” defenders. No, it’s not, they just aren’t arresting anybody anymore. The statistics they rely on to determine whether crime is up or down are arrests. No arrests = lower crime, so they argue. Makes perfect sense right?? Our neighborhood is in worse shape than i have ever seen it, vagrants are everywhere, you can’t walk down the street without some lunatic either swearing up a storm or looking for a place to urinate. Riverside park is too dangerous, even during the way. Welcome to Deblasio’s New York, just what he wanted.

• dannyboy says:

“and our property values continue to deteriorate” – Jason

there it is!

• EricaC says:

I find his comment overblown (and demonstrative of a very short tenure in NYC – I haven’t lived here all my life, and even during my tenure it has definitely been worse at times), but loss of property value is a legitimate concern.

• dannyboy says:

“loss of property value is a legitimate concern.” – EricaC

YOU MEAN LIKE:

“Four teenagers cornered and beat up a man in the park just South of 125th Street on August 15, according to CBS.
            The man said he was punched six or seven times suffering a black eye. But then strangers intervened.”

• Tom D says:

What part of UWS are you living in where property values have decreased in the last 5 years? Finally leveling out city wide, But deteriorating?? Nope

• Bruce Bernstein says:

Jason has lost all sense of reality.

he is wrong about how crime statistics are complied. it is REPORTED crimes, not arrests.

• dannyboy says:

…and proportionality.

More concern about his property value than the VIOLENT ATTACK on his neighbor.

• Ted says:

As they used to say on The Wire, “their juking the stats”. I may be wrong on this but I think a commander in the Bronx was relieved recently for that specifically.

9. dannyboy says:

“’Fortunately for me, two other cyclists showed up – like a man and a woman — and my understanding, these two people scared them away,’ the man said.”

HEROS!

Be Strong West Siders

10. Joe Rappaport says:

Just as I’m sure is true for many of your readers, we pine for the crime-free days under the previous mayor. I fondly recall the annual crime statistics, celebrated by all: 0 murders, 0 assaults, 0 rapes, 0 grand larcenies, etc. Not one crime in his 12 years in office. Thanks for the reminder of how things used to be, fellow commenters.

11. JR says:

I have seen this group of bikers in the park several times this summer riding through the southern end of the park. All African-American, ages ranging from what appeared to be 13-18, around 10-12 of them. Bored kids with nothing to do. Rode bikes recklessly and scared pedestrians, cursing as they went. Trouble waiting to happen.

12. Reader says:

Isn’t it fairly standard for stories like this to include a plea for the public to send any tips they may have to the NYPD, along with contact info for doing so? (Including for sending any photos that could help to identify suspects) Is there a reason such inclusions appear to be absent here?

• West Sider says:

We reached out to NYPD and the local councilman and haven’t heard anything back. Police did not issue bulletins about this as far as we know. WSR

• dannyboy says:

And the Recognition of the HEROES who: “Fortunately for me, two other cyclists showed up – like a man and a woman — and my understanding, these two people scared them away,” the man said.

• Reader says:

Thanks. I wonder why they wouldn’t issue the usual bulletins, etc.

13. Mike rosen says:

I am an upper west side liberal. And, I have to say criminals, seem to feel “protected” under this Mayor. He might be progressive, but sadly, he does not seem very smart.

• dannyboy says:

You think criminals are thinking about Mayoral protections when they punch a guy around and brandish a knife?

14. Scott says:

You say it was a robbery, yet nothing was taken, according to the story. How do we know it was a robbery and not, say, a bias attack?