PARROT CAMPS OUT AT DOG RUN, DELIGHTING HUMANS AND EATING APPLES

parrot dog run

A parrot has apparently taken up residence at the 72nd Street dog run in Riverside Park and has taken to eating the apples on a tree there, Tania Isenstein tells us.

“There is always a crowd around the tree he hangs out in – he feasts on all the apples in the tree. It’s all everyone is talking about! Quite hilarious! He is definitely there in the mornings when I go. He sometimes flies away but comes back for apples!”

Which raises the question: did someone lose a charismatic parrot?

Photo by Tania Isenstein.

ABSURDITY, OUTDOORS | 22 comments | permalink
    1. dannyboy says:

I love this!

2. Eli says:

Not necessarily, or even likely, an escaped pet. Wild parrots are not uncommon in NYC.

3. Nelson says:

Big nest of these colorful critters in Riverside Park uptown under the Highway overpass. It’s the first year in several I haven’t seen them so I’m encouraged to hear this. Maybe the Hawks necessitated a migration southward.

4. Steven says:

Gee, I thought they ate crackers, not apples…

5. Ish Kabibble says:

AppleLivesMatter. Too soon?

6. Chris says:

How do you like THEM apples?

7. Ziggy Z. says:

An apple a day keeps the veterinarian away!

8. Elizabeth M. says:

Dear Lord, please protect the parrots from becoming food for the hawks. Amen!

9. ksf says:

Looks like one of the green parrots who have taken up residence under the W.S.H–a split off colony from the one directly across the river in N. Jersey…this one knows that apples keep the doctor away!

10. Lin says:

You might want to read The Parrots of Telegraph Hill,.
      I’s a true story about a community of parrots that lived in San Francisco. The account was written by a former homeless man who looked after their welfare. There is also DVD of same written and filmed by

• dannyboy says:

…Judy Irving

(she also co-stars along with a lot of parrots)

• Cryptica says:

Wondering how parrots survive in freezing New York winters? Where do they go?

• Chris E says:

Quaker parrots are a bit better at handling the cooler climates (not necessarily extremely cold, but colder than some other bird species). I own a pet Quaker, along with 2 other parrots that are much larger species… and he’s quite the comedian. Very intelligent, very observant and quite lovable. Quakers get a bad rep because they build nests in the city…and people fear the issues that come with it. Some valid, some not. Bottom line, they require help to thrive the harsh environments. Quakers don’t necessarily live long lives like other pet parrot species. (40 yrs is extremely rare). They are prone to fatty liver disease if they are not active (they are a lot like us). I luv my Quaker, and it took yrs to get accustomed to some of his quirks, but I’ve realized, he’s only trying to help me (he has an internal alarm clock, he wants to be put to bed around 9pm, and wake around 9am. And when he’s awake, he wants the covers off his cage ASAP. hehe. (I don’t own him, he owns me). But now that I “understand my duties”…there’s so much love and entertainment to be had. :).

• dannyboy says:

“Quakers get a bad rep…”
            “Quakers don’t necessarily live long lives…”
            “I luv my Quaker…”

I must be reading ‘out-of-context”!
            So much for the directions from the Speed Reading Course about just reading the start of sentences.

Oh well.

• B.B. says:

You can find parrots in areas of Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey, Long Island Conn… far north as RI… They have been here for decades.

Obviously the birds have evolved/found ways of coping with winters in the northeast.

Just Google “wild parrots” and you’ll find plenty of information.