STOCKY SNOWMAN IS MIX OF GERARD DEPARDIEU, CHARLIE CHAPLIN AND ‘REFRIGERATOR’ PERRY

funny snowman

The snowman pictured above on 106th street between Broadway and Amsterdam is a true work of art, appearing to blend various artistic styles and materials. We tried to decompose the sculpture like a true artiste might, and found the following potential influences:

GŽrard Depardieu

Frenchman-turned-Russian Gerard Depardieu

The_Tramp_Essanay

Charlie Chaplin, given the snowman’s choice of hat.

Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 3.03.03 PM

And the Chicago Bears football player William “The Refrigerator” Perry for the snowman’s tough and stocky build.

See any other influences? Let us know in the comments.

Images via Wikipedia and YouTube. Snowman photo by Maya Rajamani.

ABSURDITY | 6 comments | permalink
    1. jsc says:

last year there was another creative snowman on that block. wonder who the artist is – I have to dig to find my picture…

2. Nadine says:

We know who the talented artist is! It’s a man named Nicholas, who works in our building at 207 West 106th (& I think also in 211 West 106th). He has white hair & can often be found sweeping the sidewalk around 8am on weekdays. He makes amazing snowpeople whenever there’s a big snowfall, and last year this included a snow couple that was a neighborhood hit. I even take the kids I nanny (in another building) to see his work. Nicholas sings, too…I think maybe semi-professionally. He’s a super-friendly guy whose talents are unfortunately underutilized in the field of apartment building maintenance. Go, Nicholas!

• Bev says:

Yep, that’s right, Nicholas also works at 211 W106. The snow couple he made last year were holding hands, if I remember right.

3. jsc says:

Mystery solved! Thanks Nadine. I love these snow people.

4. Eli says:

Looks like the Command and the Service Modulea from a n Apollo spacecraft.

5. Mark says:

I think you deconstructed it nicely. Rising temperatures will take care of the decomposing….