Bravissimo! Machiavelli Restaurant Saved By Last-Minute Deal

Machiavelli, the Italian restaurant on 85th and Columbus, will not close after all, as the landlord worked out a deal with the owners, according to Nathalie Delafontaine. “The landlord and I had a last unexpected meeting yesterday and came to an agreement so we will stay open,” she wrote.

The restaurant had sent out a notice this week to customers announcing that it would close on October 27. But just before an opera performance at Machiavelli on Thursday night, the diners got the good news.

“A last minute deal was struck and an announcement was made tonight before a memorable night of opera!” wrote Delafontaine.

She later sent out a message to customers calling it “The Miracle on 85th Street” and announcing a Gatsby-themed Halloween party to celebrate.

FOOD, NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 16 comments | permalink
    1. Leon says:

Oh well. I was hoping for a Chase bank with a CVS, Starbucks and McDonald’s in it.

• Filatura says:

Yes, isn’t it a shame? Or it could have become another derelict corner like those on 86th and 87th and Columbus.

But I’m glad they reached an agreement. It’s my favorite place to take out-of-towners to prove that the UWS isn’t all bro bars and bruncherias.

• Woody says:

There is no more overused, tired, and cliched comment than this.

2. Andrew says:

85th and Columbus?

3. Anya says:

Elated. Had my wedding reception there, and Nathalie and staff feel like family.

Try the wild mushroom Pappardelle.. you wonโ€™t be disappointed.

4. Jeff says:

That is so great to hear. Just stumbled on this place recently after walking past so many times, and loved it! A real happy turn for the neighborhood!

5. John says:

My mom and I were there. A magical night. When the owner klinked her glass to start a speech, we all thought, Oh no, the sad thanks and farewell. Instead, it was a celebratory speech of reprieve, and the room exposed into applause. Champagne and opera flowed, and it really felt special. So grateful they can stay.

6. PQDUBYA says:

I paid $40 for two drinks there recently. Worth it

• GG says:

Wow! That’s pretty steep for two drinks. I hope it was good scotch or wine or something worth it.

It certainly is a nice place and adds a lot to the neighborhood if you ask me. Glad to see that it will stick around.

7. Lis Krosov says:

I’ve lived out of state and haven’t been there so l look forward to trying this intriguing restaurant.

8. Catherine says:

This is good news! Two blocks from my office and great food and environment.

9. Gina says:

Really Leon!

10. ScooterStan says:

So Machiavelli is saved because ” the landlord worked out a deal with the owners,….”

That landlord! Obviously a real PRINCE of a guy!

P.S.: those who don’t get it are sentenced to repeat high school.

๐Ÿ˜‚

11. EricaC says:

That’s great; we really enjoy this place.

12. Smithe says:

To all the those who were so quick to label a “greedy landlord”, perhaps the Machiavelli chef can make that crow taste a little bit better!

13. APF says:

Yay! This is where my husband and I went to celebrate our first dating anniversary and where he and some of his friends like to celebrate their birthdays. I’ve come to love the place.