When Mitchell’s Liquors on 86th street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue took down its neon sign earlier this month as part of a renovation, a cry of “Oh no!” rang out through the hills. The lovely red, green and blue sign was installed in the 1940’s by the Midtown Neon Sign Co., according to the New York Neon Blog (yes, there’s a blog for everything).
The website Jeremiah’s Vanishing NY, which chronicles the disappearance of authentic New York, reported that the sign was gone for good. But it seems all the angst was misplaced: the sign was back today, in all its glory.
(Neon enthusiasts also prematurely lamented the sign’s demise in 2012.)
John Wells took the picture below after the sign was taken down, and shot the nighttime photo below that before it was removed.
Update: Commenter Jeremy notes that the sign above does appear somewhat different from the original in the bottom picture. You can see in the vertical section that the letters appear more rounded than the old sign. Mitchell’s, which is undergoing renovation, hasn’t answered the phone so we cant confirm whether it’s the same sign yet.