Oh Absolute, you are our everything (bagel)! Photo by Abasciuto.
Tears were schmeared across the Upper West Side this weekend, as locals were in-caper-ble of going to Absolute Bagels to Pump-a-nickel into the cashier’s hands to perform their favorite hole-y ritual. Lox of luck indeed.
The famed bagel store on 108th and Broadway was closed suddenly, and Upper West Siders wrote to us in desperation asking “Why? Why?”
It turns out the Department of Health temporarily closed the place down on Thursday, because of evidence of critters and other violations. The box score of violations is below. A worker told us on Sunday that the exterminator is there and they plan to reopen on Tuesday. The Health Department will have final say over that.
The timing was particularly bad because the store had just gotten some very good press. Grubstreet ranked it the second best bagel shop in the city (damn you Utopia Bagels of Whitestone!), calling it “a filthy little store with sublime bagels.” Hmm.
1) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
3) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
4) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
5) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
Some people, by the way, didn’t care one bit about what the health department had to say.
Absolute bagels closed this weekend for health violatiojns. I don't even care, give me the bagels #upperwestsidelife
— Lindsey Frances (@lindsfrances) October 29, 2017
This isn’t the first time in recent memory that health inspectors have closed Absolute because of health violations.
Please leave your lamentations and bagel puns in the comments.