Sunday: Ice Cream Fest at the Grand Bazaar Market

It’s been steamy in New York and what better way to reward yourself for making it through the worst of the heat wave than with an ice cream cone, sandwich, bowl or…screw it, an enormous fudge sundae?

On Sunday, the Grand Bazaar market, a flea market on Columbus and 76th whose profits go to local public schools, is holding its third annual Ice Cream Blizzard. They promise artisanal ice cream, presumably from cows who are treated so well that they get to choose their own bedtime story each night.

It starts at 10 a.m., which is not too early to eat ice cream. And it ends at 5:30. Admission is free, the ice cream is not.

1. BillyNYC says:

It sounds so much fun!!! if I wasn’t on vacation for the next two months I definitely would be there. What a great idea for where I am now they would love to have it here at Lake Placid/Mirror Lake. I think I’m going come up with that idea here with my friends at Ben & Jerry’s!!!

2. Jan says:

Sounds nice except for those of us who live
      Around the school who are forced to endure
      Enormous amounts of people which is not
      Pleasant. We give up our pleasant neighborhood
      so the school can make MORE money
      Is it legal to promote huge crowds of people
      In a residential neighborhood?

• West88 says:

Is this a real and serious complaint or are we being hoaxed?!?! You live in NYC, a major metrolpolitan city. If you don’t want large amounts of people near your home you’ve selected the wrong place to reside. Taking your thoughts further, should the city not conduct the Thanksgiving Parade because neighbors don’t want crowds? Should the baloon inflations – which is practically the same location – occur upstate in a field? Why this comment – WHY!?!

• Chrigid says:

That school yard was a Sunday flea market for decades and now it’s a bazaar.

I can only assume you moved in recently and think you have the right to gentrify us.

• Shakespeare says:

Is this supposed to be a poem? It isn’t working (to say nothing of its content).

• NotImpressed says:

I hope I don’t encounter smiling children and laughing adults.

• Smithe says:

Oh Jan, get a life.

• Carlos says:

If kids eating ice cream in the summer to help finance a public school is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

If you don’t like it, I’m sure I can find some really nice rural plots of land upstate to sell you.

• Rob G. says:

Holy crap, lady! Are you serious? It’s those happy kids eating ice cream that makes for a pleasant residential neighborhood in the first place!

Oh wait, you were joking. You were joking, weren’t you?

3. shesays says:

You Had to have known that you were in a neighborhood with Multiple Public Schools. I’m sure you paid a premium. But if you wanted Quiet, you should check out Riverdale.
      Pfft. Privilege.

4. Phylicia says:

Sounds like fun! I’m into ice cream and also love helping public schools get more money for special projects and programs – fantastic!!
      I agree that complaints because of noise are ridiculous! First of all, this event is for a matter of hours. Go to the park or visit friends in The suburbs if you can’t take it. You’ve chosen to live in the city. You have other choices. Stop the whining!

5. jhminnyc says:

You mean you want an Upper West Sider not to be able to neurotically kvetch over trivia? So unfair.

6. Davie! says:

Hey Folks! Now what would Mr.Rogers say? C’mon and love your fellow affluent wealthy liberal rent stabilized neighbors! Be nice to one another! This aint shopping at Fairway! This is an Ice Cream Festival on National Ice Cream Day! Chill out you ctazy Westsiders with huge apartments with bookshelves! Peace and Love!

7. Scott says:

As Kramer said, if you don’t want to be part of society, go and move to the east side.

8. Dissident says:

Seems like a rather blatant glorification of indulgence in an excessively high sugar, high calorie extravagance such as ice cream, no? Do we really want to endorse that like this? For children?

It’s one thing to mock the admittedly pretentious-sounding “artisanal” label. But the treatment of dairy cows? Are there not at least valid concerns over that? Why be so glib? (And it’s not the first time for WSR, either.)