Man Used MTA Posters to Make Swastika at 96th Street Subway Station

Police are looking for a man who arranged MTA service advisory notices in the shape of a swastika at the 96th Street 1-2-3 station on New Year’s Eve. The man, shown in surveillance images and the video below, made the image at 6:20 a.m. on the outside of an elevator, police said.

The State Police Hate Crimes Task Force is also assisting the NYPD in the investigation.

Anyone with information in regard to this incident is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM, or on Twitter @NYPDTips.

1. michael says:

In all seriousness, why is the quality of the image on these cameras comparable to what was on my Palm Treo in 1997? I can get a higher resolution, autofocusing camera for under $25 on Amazon.

Yes, I realize these cameras need to be industrial strength, need to be supplied via a contract with a state-sanctioned distributor, and need to be able to last a decade without replacement – but how are we supposed to identify people when the images are so distorted?

• NYYgirl says:

Yes, better quality photo would be ideal! For UWS Hebrew: at least we agree on the things which really matter! And- even tried Mama’s Too again on your rec lol…although a little goes a very long way, it is much less worse than I originally thought. 🙂

• UWSHebrew says:

try the triangle house slice and the square mushroom/onion or pear/gorgonzola. you’ll be weak in the knees.

2. UWSHebrew says:

I really want to meet this guy.

3. A Jew says:

i know I should feel outrage & nothing but outrage…yet this guy is so pathetic that it’s hard to take his work seriously. What’s next, decoupage hate mail?

• EricaC says:

Yes, but it is usually damaged, broken people who want most to adhere to ideology. It is pathetic, but it doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

4. THINK !!!!!! says:

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
      —Voltaire, and many more

Ummm…
      1. Victim-Less Crime;
      2. Freedom of Expression;
      3. Slippery Slope

Unless the police locate and arrest this guy ONLY FOR DEFACING PUBLIC PROPERTY we are headed down a very slippery slope…limiting one’s right to express oneself.

Sure, this guy is probably a nut-job, but have we NYers become so delicate that we cannot tolerate seeing an act of stupid vandalism?

Would we be so outraged if he had instead put up a Star-of-David, a Cross, a symbol of Islam, or any other symbol of belief?

Yes, he broke a law…a law against defacing property…and should be punished. But to punish him for his deranged beliefs?

Let’s not go there….lest we destroy our democracy.

• UWSHebrew says:

It’s not a “symbol of belief”, it’s a symbol of genocide. And don’t give me the tired “maybe he meant it as a peaceful symbol from Nepal”.

• B flat says:

As vile as this act was, I still have to agree with you.

5. UWSider says:

I recently passed this man near Theodore Roosevelt Park. He was sitting on a bench smoking a joint and tripped a boy (about 12-14 y/o). I saw him stick his leg out to trip the kid. After he tripped him, the man started yelling. His rant didn’t really make sense, he clearly has mental health issues, which is no excuse.