French Restaurant Burglarized, Glass Door Smashed

Surveillance image of the suspect.

Police are looking for help finding a man they say broke into La Boite en Bois on 68th Street on Wednesday afternoon and stole money and electronics. Here is the police account:

On Wednesday December 4, 2019, at approximately 1500 hours, inside 75 West 68th Street (La Boite En Bois Restaurant), an unidentified male gained entry by forcing open the front door and broke a second glass door. Once inside, the male removed approximately $650 and two tablets before fleeing in unknown direction.

Anyone with information in regard to the identity of the male is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the CrimeStoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or on Twitter @NYPDTips.

1. concerned says:

This is a stone’s throw from where I live. Is it me or does it truly feel like crime is closing in on us here in Lincoln Square?

2. Adam says:

Good to know that smashing a glass door and robbing a restaurant is still considered a “crime”. Now that urinating on the sidewalk and smoking dope outside is no longer a crime, and thus crime is therefore “down”, it’s good to see that at a minimum we still have some standards.

3. Lisa says:

Keep telling us how crime is down. This restaurant has been there forever – I wonder if they can tell us last time they were broken into.

4. Sherman says:

You all have to be more optimistic. I always look at the bright side of things.

If crime continues to rise on the UWS residents will flee the neighborhood.

Real estate prices will plunge. It will be like the 1970s and 1980s all over again.

Maybe I’ll be able to buy a big apartment in that new tower @ 200 Amsterdam for next to nothing!

• Lisa says:

LOL I like your optimism!

• Karen says:

We need to call Helen Rosenthal and also call 311 to demand the city replace the 30 police officers we lost due to attrition in Precinct 20 over the past few years. Results from our tax dollars not being used for our community. Crime is up in our neighbourhood and that is not acceptable.

• Janinepb says:

Nuts, someone has already thought of my strategy. Guess we’ll all be fighting for the same “cheap” real estate at 200 Amsterdam.

5. John says:

When 200 Amsterdam opens, suddenly there will be more policing.

6. Guzman says:

Oh UWS you’ve asked for this last time you voted this mayor.

If you think this is bad, wait until the judicial reform enacted by your liberal politicians kicks in in January…. the criminals can’t stop laughing at how good it’s getting for them!

7. Nancy Lowe says:

My favorite restaurant. Sorry to see this happen and in broad daylight, too.

8. BJK says:

I wonder if this is related to the new homeless encampment that the police are permitting at 68th and Broadway in front of the old Lowe’s hardware store. For the last two weeks, this encampment has been growing and, when I walked by early yesterday, the inhabitants were fighting and arguing and I crossed the street to avoid the danger/threat.

Are the police or whatever agency should be dealing with this going to clear this street corner out or is it now a permanent fixture on West 68th?