Openings & Closings: Fish on the Fly, Momofuku Noodle Bar, Mokum, Shakespeare & Co.

Fish on the Fly, a “casual counterpart” to the The Flying Fisherman next door, opened on Columbus Avenue between 72nd and 73rd Streets on Friday. “The 12-seat boutique seafood spot will serve a menu featuring casual seafood fare served all day eat-in, take-out, or delivery! Inspired by New England fish shacks, diners can choose from classics like mouthwatering Lobster Rolls ($19) with seasoned butter and crème fraiche on a garlic brioche bun served with Old Bay seasoned fries, or finger-licking Crispy Fish Tacos ($13).” See the menu here.

Momofuku Noodle Bar has opened its newest location on the third floor of the Shops at Columbus Circle on 59th Street. The restaurant serves “a constantly changing roster of noodles, steamed breads, soft serve, and daily dishes. Join us for a quick bite at our kitchen counter, lunch and dinner in our dining room, or a celebratory meal in our private dining room. At our bar, we offer a full selection of beer, wine, sake, and cocktails, with a focus on highballs.” Ramen is $15 to $19. See the menu here.

Mokum, a new restaurant at 464 Amsterdam Avenue (82nd Street), is set to open on Monday, at first just for dinner. “Mokum is a Yiddish word meaning  ‘place’ or ‘safe haven.’ It will serve “internationally-inspired dishes showcasing the finest local ingredients.” It’s a partnership “between healthy living enthusiast, geneticist and Upper West Sider Tea Zegarek Pollock, together with Chef Ben Vaschetti, who has trained in the finest Michelin starred kitchens around the world. As their first U.S. project, Vaschetti’s all-day menu seeks to nourish the community from early until late, providing the neighborhood with a full-service gathering space that nourishes both mind and body. Mokum will also offer hand-selected artisanal products and an expertly curated wine and cocktail program.” Here’s the dinner menu, the lunch menu and the breakfast menu (pdf’s). There’s also a bar and breakfast menu.

Shakespeare & Co. has opened at 2020 Broadway at 69th Street, the latest new bookstore in a renaissance for Upper West Side bookshops. If you stop by, send pictures of the inside to westsiderag at gmail dot com. Thanks to Stephen Harmon for the photo of the bookstore on Thursday night.

1. Charles says:

Something very disturbing. Last nght as usual I ordered delivery from Flor De Mayo restaurant on Amsterdam. They informed me they now charge a $2.00 delivery fee on every order! Hope this does not continue and spread to other restaurants. Will affect tips on the delivery person.

• dannyboy says:

Not fair as I see it. The restaurant is already charging for the food AND the use of the restaurant in their menu prices. When you order takeout they already get the table back that you would have used. A $2 surcharge on top of that?

• Jen says:

Seriously? You out of all people? You think delivery people just hang around the restraurant and grab an order when it comes? It costs nothing to the restaurant to have a reliable delivery team? And he point a ot the empty table totally misses the point. The tables may stay empty the entire night and take out would be busy. Some restaurants take this model and don’t offer tables at all.

• dannyboy says:

So you are saying that the takeout customer should pay for both the table and the delivery salary? (in addition to the tip, which is really necessary, as the delivery person has earned that)?

Why do so many people feel that businesses should be showered with money? Are they the new gods?

• Pro Tip says:

Would affect more than tips. I don’t order delivery from establishments that nickel-and-dime gouge with ‘delivery fees’.

• Jen says:

These “delivery fees” are essential for the restaurant to survive. They need to have a crew of delivery people on call to cater to your needs. If you resent so much these “delivery fees”, then enjoy a sandwich from a vending machine at Duane Reade when all the restaurants go out of business

I’m amazed how much the same audience complains about empty store fronts but whines and rejects a good business because of tiny add-ons for their survival.

• Jen says:

Why should it affect tips? It is not instead of the tip, it is something charged by the restaurant to afford delivery service. I’m amazed how people don’t think twice about ordering $15-30 meals every day but complaining and saving $2 on hard-working underpaid delivery people who work efficiently and reliably in any weather.

And call this “disturbing”…

• lynn says:

Why would it affect tips to the delivery person? If they’re charging a fee (as do grocery delivery services) it goes to the store/restaurant and not the delivery person. Btw, there are some Chinese restaurants now charging for rice. Sign of the times.

• Zanarkand says:

I noticed that too recently on my Noche Mexicana II delivery order too. It’s awful. This is NYC. The reason I don’t order delivery from chains is because they typically charge a delivery fee. Unfortunately, this just comes out of the biker’s tip I give.

• dg says:

There’s no such thing as “free delivery.”
        Either you pay for it out right, or you pay for it via increased food prices.

Actually, $2.00 is pretty cheap– not like the ten dollar delivery charges that are much more common.

• Ed says:

Can everyone indicate what they tip a neighborhood delivery guy these days? I have no idea what an appropriate tip is. Thanks!

• Norma says:

If you are that concerned about $2 and aren’t willing to tip, you should pick up order yourself.

• EricaC says:

Were you ordering from Seamless or by phone?

In the end, they must know people won’t like it and have decided that it is needed. Maybe it reflects the fact that takeout doesn’t involve alcohol, which eating in often does – and if I’ve read others’ comments correctly, alcohol is where the profit is.

Anyway, if people don’t like it, they won’t order, and either the restaurant will fail or they will stop charging it.

• B.B. says:

News flash, charging a delivery fee already exists for many NYC restaurants, and that trend likely will grow in future.

There is no such thing as a free lunch so to speak. Cost of delivery is either baked into the prices or a fee is tacked onto the bill, it is just that simple.

Finding persons willing to be out in all sorts of weather, and at all hours of the day and night isn’t easy. Just walk around the city and see how many “delivery person wanted” signs are posted in business windows.

2. Carol Brier says:

I am thrilled to have this bookstore in our area.

3. NativeNYer says:

Fabulous! Well worth the wait.

4. dannyboy says:

Why is the Mokum description written with superlatives?

Is the food very complicated?

Just curious.

• Irv E. says:

I am reasonably fluent in seven (7) languages, including Yiddish and Hebrew. Mokum is not a Yiddish word; At best it is a poor transliteration from the Hebrew. Their linguistic limitations should not be a reflection on their culinary services, which I hope are excellent.

• Tim says:

$19 for a burger?! No thanks

5. dannyboy says:

Hey, curiosity is a great motivator. Here’s what learned: “Tea” aka “Tea Zegarac-Pollock” is married to a hedgie, but not just any hedgie, mind you. That “healthy living enthusiast, geneticist and Upper West Sider’s” spouse is King of the Apthorp https://ny.curbed.com/2010/8/24/10505894/king-of-the-apthorp
      Lots wheeling in South Beach Condos too.

Guess I got my reason for all the superlatives. People gotta have superlatives too.

6. Lost My Appetite. says:

Monofuko’s cancellation policy :
      Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received at least 48 hours in advance of the reservation time. If you cancel within 48 hours of the reservation or if you do not show up for your reservation, a charge of $50 per person will be applied to the credit card on file.

Beware!

• Smith says:

While 48 hours seems excessive, the only reason restaurants do this is because too many people book several reservations for one night and then pull a no show. All because they’re not sure of what they’ll be in the mood for at that time. It’s rude, selfish, and inconsiderate behavior like this that ruins it for the rest of us.

• Jen says:

Strict. But either that or no restaurants in UWS, just banks and pharmacies.

Thank you for pointing it out though, very good to know.

7. Carnival Canticle says:

I can’t yet comment on the food at Mokum. But the press release that WSR quotes gets four stars for the most pretentious use of foodie cliches. “Gathering space!” “Artisanal products!” “Expertly curated!” “Wine and cocktail program.” And of course “finest local ingredients!” It makes a person nostalgic for tasty and delicious. I will try it, though. Who wouldn’t want one’s mind nourished along with one’s body? (What, no soul?)

• Cato says:

If they hadn’t lost me at “artisanal”, they certainly would have at “curated”.

And what on earth is a “hand-selected” product, artisanal or otherwise?

Can’t anybody write without using cliches anymore?

I’ll go elsewhere.

8. Jerome says:

Order chirping chicken instead. They just announced that they are eliminating the delivery fee if ordered online.

9. LuluT says:

Please tip the delivery persons well!

10. Kim says:

Maybe the $2 surcharge is to supplement the increase of minimum wage starting 1/1? My guess.

11. BJK says:

I was disappointed in Shakespeare & Co.—it’s mostly cafe and very little bookstore. The bookstore part is about the size of a Hudson News at the airport.

12. Karen Korman says:

Love the vibe and the coffee shop up front – not sure if their selection of books is comprehensive enough – history is part of biography but they have a limited amount of space. Hoping they succeed

13. APF says:

I’m not sure if anyone else is with me on this, but I’m profoundly uncomfortable with the choice of Mokum as a name for an incredibly unkosher restaurant.

• UWSHebrew says:

First, Mokum a silly name, and like Irv said above, it’s not really Yiddish. Second, “Bubby’s” in Tribeca (owner Ron Silver), has all sorts of dishes with ham and bacon. Even the dough in their fruit pies are made with lard. So this new place, with their name and dishes, is of no surprise to me.

• Jon says:

Have to disagree. As a proudly secular UWS Jew, if the food is good, environment inviting, and prices reasonable, I wouldn’t mind if they served pork chops. (In fact I’d get a kick out of it.)

14. West88 says:

Mokum food looks like items I cook at home with extremely high prices (roasted chicken, brussel sprouts, squash). Further, $19 for a burger when JG Melon is across the street!?!?

And Mokum, please explain on your Breakfast menu “Selection of Two Baked Goods” for $12 when all baked goods range from $3-$5, most at $4. Are you charging $3-$4 for butter and jam which you wouldn’t get otherwise!?!?

15. oliver smith says:

patsys pizza charges one dollar and Coppolas charges two dollars

16. jerry says:

As long as we seem to be having a bit of restaurant critique going on here, let me tell you about the two experiences I’ve had at the new lauded Mama’s Too.First time, I showed up at 8, wanting to take out a pie. I was told (rudely) I couldn’t have one as they were making no more pies that night…but I could buy a slice. Well, that wouldn’t do. Tonight, I thought I’d give them another try, so I called at 4 – only to be told there would be no more pies until 11, but I could buy a slice. Hello again Sal & Carmine’s.

• dannyboy says:

I have enjoyed Mama’s Too from the day of their soft opening. Recommended it here several times.

My last visit included an argument with someone lined-up for pizza. I’d finished mine and needed to deposit my paper plate and napkin in the trash located behind the line. Can you imagine a person on line SO GEARED UP that they didn’t want me to access the trash, as it would mean “cutting in front”.

I too have returned to Sal & Carmines. Split a medium pie with my son and watched the young children with their parents, and reminisced.

• UWSHebrew says:

Give it some time to calm down, then you’ll be ok there. November 6th The New York Times gave them a star. First time in NYT history that a pizza joint was given a star. November 15 The New York Times ranked the top ten slices in all five boroughs and Mama’s Too was ranked number one. Foodies, students, instagram…this will be THE place to go to. Good for Frank, I was there the week that it opened and I told him his pizza was phenomenal, and he deserves all this recognition. Sorry, but Sal and Carmine’s 1960’s style slice is not even in the same solar system as Mama’s Too.

• noway says:

Totally unacceptable. I love when a restaurant deems itself so successful that they dictate the rules of service. This never lasts very long…

17. Mark says:

Just ate at Mokum and it was excellent. Wonderful modern interior and long counter / bar suited for solo dining. Menu is creative and pricing is appropriate: not cheap certainly, but reasonable for the quality / venue / nabe. Also, quiet enough you can have a conversation but not remotely stuffy!