Upper West Side Woman Found Dead in Her Apartment With ‘Laceration to Her Neck’

Sue Trott.

By Carol Tannenhauser

A woman was found dead in her apartment at 710 West End Avenue (between 94th and 95th), early Sunday morning “with a laceration to her neck,” according to police. She was identified as Susan Trott, 70. Police said there was no forced entry and no weapon was found. They are investigating the death as a homicide.

The building’s super gave police access to Ms. Trott’s 14th-floor apartment at around five a.m., after her business partner in London placed a 911 call, according to The New York Times. He was worried because he hadn’t been able to reach Ms. Trott since last Wednesday. “Once inside, they saw a trail of blood leading from the living room to the bedroom, where the body was found, clothed and lying on her back, the police said,” the Times reported.

According to her LinkedIn profile, Trott was a copywriter and creative strategist. She had been working as a creative partner at Code Modern, a marketing group in New York and London, since 2016.

Ms. Trott was reportedly a lifelong New Yorker. A neighbor said she lived alone.

She was known as a protector of animals.

1. APF says:

Just saw her photo and was shocked. There are so many people in this city, even on your own block. But she is someone I would see around all the time. She would often feed pigeons along West End Avenue, which I thought was strange. But,gosh, how awful!

2. Kate says:

I used to see Ms. Trott walking her dog and we would occasionally speak. She was a lovely woman, I am so sorry to hear of this.

3. Allison says:

So sad! RIP! And scary! I’m guessing it was someone she knew as I can’t imagine a random person getting past the doorman and randomly picking her apartment on the 14th floor.

4. Bruce E. Bernstein says:

every time i see this entry and posting, it makes me very sad.

i never knew Susan Trott by name, but saw her regularly walking her dog on 95th and also West End. sometimes we chatted briefly. She was a friendly, kind person and a neighborhood icon.

her dog previous to the most recent one had some sort of health problems, not sure what kind, but she used to “walk” him by sitting him in a child’s red wagon.

what a terrible way have your life ended. my sad condolences to her friends and family.

5. Juan says:

Very sad. I recall seeing her around the neighborhood – she seemed like a quirky but kind and harmless person.

I hope they find out who did it. The building has a full time doorman, but I don’t know if they have cameras. Very scary.

6. Sarah says:

This is a terrible tragedy.

This is a doorman building so it seems likely she brought him/her in with her (or else the person also lived in the building). Did the person have the knife all along? What an awful thought.

Rest in peace, neighbor.

7. Elizabeth says:

According to one news outlet they’re eyeing a person of interest already. How horrible. It’s terrifying to think you could exist near something so tragic and gruesome.

8. RIP says:

A protector of animals. What a sweet lady! How sad, what a horrible tragedy! Very sad, and very scary. I hope they find who did it. May her soul rest in peace.

9. TS555 says:

She was so kind to animals. I remember one dog she had rescued, a “Mr. Pink”, who was a pit bull with lots of food allergies. He was thriving under her care.