Photos: Several Generations Mark Memorial Day At Colorful and Emotional Ceremony

By Mildred Alpern

An overflowing crowd of all ages assembled on the plaza of the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument at Riverside Park and 89th Street for a service on this Memorial Day.

Music and words were solemn and patriotic befitting the occasion. Active duty Sailors, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen participated in the services along with the US Navy Band performing musical tributes. Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in period uniforms were in attendance as well as state and city leaders. A wreath laying ceremony was a moving event.

Photos below by Aris Dervis.

Photos below by Mildred Alpern.

And a bonus photo from Helene Solomon:

“I noticed that you had a picture that included my dad from the rear. His name is Irwin “cookie” Solomon. He turns 94 this week and survived WWII when his ship was hit by Kamikazes two days beige the end of the war. He has lived on the UWS for 70 years in the same apt. There is a bench dedicated to him in the park on the Promenade facing the River at about 89th Street opposite the dog run. And as you can see he is also a lifelong NY Giants fan!”

1. Nelson says:

Thank you for covering this. Ive attended every year since I moved into the neighborhood and it is always a soecial morning. We are really blessed to be able to share this with neighbors, visitors and troops. Ms Brewer rightfully and eloquently lamented the delapidated state of the Monument and I am planning to make regular donations to its ultimate restoration. I hope others will do the same. The music (esp a perfect “Taps” rendition) was a highlight, as well. God Bless America! 🇺🇸

2. Ron Kapon says:

It was a beautiful ceremony. Thanks to DeeAnna Rieber (lady in your photo in the red hat facing away from the camera) for saving me a seat next to 94 years young Ray Fischer & his wife (photo in his wheelchair). He was the staff photographer for the Miami Herald & showed me photos he took of 6 former US Presidents as well as an A-list of movie stars.
      Also had the chance to speak at length with Vice Admiral Dixon R. Smith USN the Deputy Chief of Naval Operations, Fleet Readiness & Logistics. The hardest working person in NYC was also a speaker- Gale A.Brewer, Manhattan Borough president.
      The weather cooperated this year.

3. NYYgirl says:

Can anyone tell me what time of day this ceremony is held every year? I could not find it listed on the Parks Dept site (which I kept ending up on when I tried to find out). My family would like very much to attend next year. Thank you !

4. NYYgirl says:

I also meant to say thank you for these beautiful photos

5. THOMAS NEWTON says:

A truly dignified and respectful Memorial Day event. The only unfortunate thing was the terrible condition of this elegant building. It’s past time to repair and reopen in memory of all of those who have been lost.

6. Sue Fisher says:

Loved the photo Thank you for running it.
      Ray Fisher (no C) photographed 11 presidents and worked for TIME/LIFE as well as being picture editor of the Miami Herald.

7. Caroljws says:

Thank you for this graceful and grateful remembrance of what we’ve lost and a reminder that they are not forgotten. The pictures are wonderful. I hope to attend next year!