Openings & Closings: Sushi Inoue, Elea, Lucky Pickle, Renzo Gracie Martial Arts, Nail Club

Photo via Sushi Inoue Instagram.

Michelin-starred restaurant Sushi Inoue is planning to open a location at 35 West 64th Street, according to the New York Post. “The new, 3,800-square-foot space seats 150 people on the main floor, has a 2,400-square-foot lower level and is currently undergoing a gut renovation.” Sushi Inoue’s first location is at 381 Lenox Avenue in Harlem. Here’s the menu at that location.

Greek restaurant Elea from Chef Joe Ragonese is getting ready to open at 217 West 85th Street. Its Facebook page says it will open in Spring 2018. Thanks to Patxi for the photo.

Nail Club on Broadway between 78th and 79th closed on April 1, with a note on the door. Thanks to Jackie for the photo.

Lucky Pickle, the latest restaurant from Jacob’s Pickles owner Jacob hadjigeorgis, is now likely to open at the end of April, a worker told our tipster Flash. We last wrote about it here.

Renzo Gracie Martial Arts Academy has rented 5,000 sf of the lower level space at 246 Columbus, near 72nd Street. Renzo Gracie teaches Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Rafe Evans of Walker Malloy arranged the lease.

Wichcraft closed its stand at the David Rubenstein Atrium on 62nd and Broadway a few months ago, but now there’s a replacement until a more permanent cafe moves in, according to the Lincoln Square BID. “Metro Events, an NYC-based catering and special events business, will be serving food through May and offers both breakfast items and lunch during the Atrium’s operating hours. The menu, which includes a bagel and coffee combo, yogurt, soup, and deli sandwiches, will rotate weekly to keep hungry patrons satisfied.”

La Dinastia, the Latin American-Chinese spot at 145 West 72nd street, has been closed temporarily by the Health Department. Thanks to LG for the photo.

FOOD, NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 38 comments | permalink
    1. Karen says:

Oh no, that’s my Go-To nail place! Anyone have other nail places they like, super close to 77th and Broadway?

• Irene says:

May not be super close but I like Cindy’s on Amsterdam and 83

• jezbel says:

I just noticed a place on (I think 78th) just west of Broadway. Can’t remember the name looks like it’s on the 2nd floor. I usually go down to 72nd Street West of B’way called Michelle’s Nail Spa at 240 W. 72nd.

• Ellen says:

I like Sunshine Nails on 75th between Columbus and CPW (but practically on Columbus). Slightly more expensive than some other options in the neighborhood but it’s always very quiet and relaxing and they do a good job.

• Helpful Harry says:

Since the tip about Sushi Inoue came from The New York Post, shouldn’t it have had one of The Post’S classic headlines, such has:

FANCY SUSHI PLACE NEEDS ITS GUTS RENOVATED

or

OMYGOSHSEE — OMAKASE FOR $275!!

just a thought.

• chris w says:

there’s a fairly new nail place very close to nail club… it’s on 78th between broadway and west end around the corner fm la caridad. i haven’t been in but their signs seem to say they use a lot of natural etc etc stuff.

• Amy says:

There’s a very nice newish place on 78th between Broadway and West End. Clean and they don’t rush.

2. dannyboy says:

re: Sushi Inoue

I prefer Lenox. Warmer people, more streetlife, better values…

Hey where are all the commenters who tell everyone to move out of “their” UWS?

3. CCUWS says:

Any updates on TJ on 93 and COl. opening?

4. Daryl says:

Nail Club was filthy .. a health hazard .. wont be missed except by the women who worked there …

5. Jay says:

Nooooooo!

Dinastia has the bomb General Tso’s. Clean up your act boys!

6. AT says:

Any news on Broadway Restaurant on 101 and Broadway?

• Kitty says:

According to the owner on Yelp, Broadway will be renovated due to a fire. 26 days ago he said it will be renovated soon. No further details on when the restaurant will open.

7. Jonny West says:

I happen to LOVE the classic (Cantonese-style) American Chinese food at La Dinastia. It has saved my life when I’m sick and in need of wonton soup. I’ve tried all the others in the area it captures the best of what NYC can do great. And the prices are reasonable for the UWS too. I don’t get the Latin mash-up – and while I have tired the fried chicken (which gets raves) I didn’t think so. But big thumbs up on the roast pork fried rice and spare ribs, etc. Yea – Clean it up guys!

• geoff says:

ditto. the ny times writes La Caridad has “The best Cuban-Chinese in the city, and best egg foo yung in the world.”

i never agreed with that. Dinastia is the sleeper. it has great soul food: pork chops, chicken. the best.

• Bronx Boy says:

“I don’t get the Latin mash-up”

There have been a number of Cuban-Chinese places on the UWS, I believe they were started by Chinese restaurateurs who left Cuba in the late 50s/early 60s.

8. David Collins says:

Sushi Inoue

OMAKASE $275
      OMAKASE $225
      OMAKASE $175

• Mark Moore says:

I’ll stick with Kouzan, thanks.

• dannyboy says:

Yikes!

• Cato says:

OMAGAWD

OMAGAWD

OMAGAWD

For dinner??

• Juan says:

That should be:

OHMYGOD $275

• Jeff says:

It’ll be interesting to see the price point at this offshoot of Sushi Inoue. It’ll have to be significantly less expensive than the current location — no way you can fill even the main level, with 150 seats, charging $175-$275 per person (although you could certainly offer that as part of a larger menu).

The location can obviously support fine dining, but I’d expect the menu to have options that aren’t total budget busters.

• Charlie2pps says:

That’s the price you pay for Omakase all in caps.

• TobyA says:

Much more reasonable than Masa’s $595 menu just a few blocks south – although whether they can really deliver decent sushi at those low prices, I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

9. Louise says:

Re Nail Salon:
      Its not fancy, but I’ve always been happy with Angel Nail on Amsterdam btwn 84th and 85th. They may try to “up sell” you, but are not pushy about it.

10. Sean says: