WHY ONE UPPER WEST SIDER VOTED FOR TRUMP

Editor’s Note: Hillary Clinton won nearly 90% of the vote on the Upper West Side, but that still means about 4,600 Upper West Siders voted for Trump. One of them, Howard Freeman, is a West Side Rag contributor. Demographics suggest he would vote for Clinton — he’s a longtime Upper West Sider and  native New Yorker who works in nonprofit fundraising for an organization that helps at-risk teens. His three boys went to PS 9 and his wife is an architect and artist.

By Howard Freeman

So…why did I vote for Donald Trump?! Here are three reasons.

freemanI’m a registered Independent. Perhaps that means I don’t stand for anything. Or perhaps it means I’m merely a recovering alcoholic who doesn’t like to have any political party tell me what to do. What it’s meant practically is that I have voted for all affiliations of candidates at all levels for my entire voting life, which started in 1981. Congressman Bill Green and Senator Pat Moynihan are my heroes. I voted for Bill Clinton twice, because I thought he could do the job, and neither time for Barack Obama, because I didn’t think he could, which brings me to my next point.

My vote is always a “hiring decision.” If you can’t do the job, regardless of what you tell me on television or in ads, you’re not getting my vote. “Past performance IS an indicator of future success.” An indicator, not the indicator. I have never hired someone at work based on hypothetical Q&As or what they promise – job candidates and politicians lie – I look at their values and how they live them out with accomplishments that I also value. I was comfortable enough in what I saw in Trump, and equally nonplussed at Clinton’s lack of executive experience, that I believed he could accomplish my two priorities.

Trump as president could do what I valued most. I wanted a candidate who would (1) keep my family (wife and three kids) as safe as possible from terrorism, and (2) foster an economic environment to accelerate job creation for all Americans, especially poor Americans. All I want from a president is results in both these categories. Don’t let us get blown up, and help the most vulnerable by creating a path out of poverty.

I hope and pray I was right in my vote—I really do. Time will tell. But you have neighbors who are willing to look like racists—and who might even BE racists—who cast their vote for a candidate we hope will accomplish good things for all New Yorkers and all Americans.

One more thing…

The WSR ran an article on Inauguration Day about a small plane pulling a banner that read, “WE OUTNUMBER HIM! RESIST!” I had held my tongue for over two months about my vote, but that Friday felt for me like a new chapter, and I frankly was excited and hopeful.

Yet others—most others in NYC—were fearful, and I rudely dismissed that real emotion at the end of my otherwise even-keeled comment. I concluded, “…Get over yourselves and look forward rather than give in to your specious fears.” It was rude and, unfortunately, I embodied the earned reputation of Trump supporters being Neanderthals With Nukes.

Feel free to debate Howard in the comments, but keep it civil. We’ll be deleting comments that don’t adhere to basic community guidelines.

COLUMNS | 184 comments | permalink
    1. UWS mom says:

Reading this guy’s reasons for voting for Trump literally makes me sick to my stomach. I find his logic so wrong and his inability to see through Trump’s con artist act mind- boggling. Can he not see that Trump is putting the country and indeed the entire world at greater risk for war? He has three boys. Is he not scared that they will be drafted to go fight a war that would not have happened but for Trump? I am terrified about that possibility for my son. I am very sad that someone who should know better is so misguided.

• sg says:

You’re the misguided one.

• Karen Bruno says:

You mean like the longest war in American history that Obama said he would get us out of and didn’t..you that kind of war?

• Paul says:

Every attempt he made to pull out was scorned by Republicans. They still blame him for troop reductions. Let’s remember who got us into the wars in the first place.

• Gary Schulze says:

How would you win this war, Karen? And what happened to your hero Trump’s secret plan that he couldn’t reveal (and still hasn’t because he has no plan)?

• Christina says:

You mean the war that was started by Bush under false pretenses?! That war?

• Anonymous says:

We had a choice between the misogynist and the criminal. The misogynist won. Only time will tell whether the voting public made the right choice. At least the Constitution is alive and well . . .

• You Know Who says:

I think you meant to say the criminal AND misogynist vs. the criminal.

• Seriously?! says:

I see you comfortable with the misongynist criminal who is trampling all over the constitution with his band of white male thugs. Glad you stand behind that. Oh and what was the crime again on the other side f the ticket…

• Terry says:

Hey UWS Mom – So I deeply disagree with those who voted for Trump but I can still disagree with someone without getting personal. We all have different opinions and make different choices, but that doesn’t mean that anyone is right or wrong. Howard made a principled decision that I may not understand (still) but he doesn’t deserve personal attacks (only enlightenment, perhaps)

We might spend more time really trying to understand each other to find common ground (the concept is referred to as civil discourse). A closed mind and lack of curiosity is probably a greater danger to your son than a terrorist attack.

• David says:

Oh, please! Spare us all the yacketyak about “civil discourse!” As though THAT were something that the liberal Democratic crowd has a lock on! Did you read some of the comments and insults that were thrown at President Trump as a candidate……and continue to be thrown, now that he is the Chief Executive! Civil discourse and having an understanding and tolerance for an opposing point of view is all very well and good, but the liberal leftist progressive Democratic crowd is so intolerant that that has been rendered a virtual impossibility!

• EricaC says:

I wonder whether you noticed that this was one liberal telling another not to be rude to a Trump supporter?

2. ny10023 says:

Props for coming out of the closet. I’m asking these questions in sincerity, I hope they come across that way and not accusatory.

Do you still 100% stand behind your decision after he’s been in office now for a little over 3 weeks?
      Do any of the … alternative facts thing… been bothering you?
      If keeping your family safe from terrorism was a main priority, what made you decide to vote for a man with zero experience in that realm against a person who has been surrounded with diplomatic relations for the better part of 30 years?
      Do the alternative facts that are given by him, Kellyanne, et al bother you now that he is President?

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

3. UWSHebrew says:

“We Are the 4,600”.

4. Ken M. says:

Profile in courage right here. Whether you agree with him or not, you have to respect this guy for “coming out,” so to speak. Being an open Trump supporter in this city is not a popular position and I imagine it could risk friendships, working relationships, etc. Bravo to this guy for standing up for his principles and kudos to WSR for giving him a platform.

• Cato says:

I absolutely, totally agree. Thank you, Howard, for having the courage — unfortunately needed in this community — to articulate your thoughts.

I may not agree with them, and you might not agree with mine, but I am grateful that we can have a peaceful dialogue. Thank you for speaking up, and thank you WSR for making the forum available.

5. adami says:

hmm. no comments yet. Or maybe they were all un “civil.” Anyway this quote says it all: “I was comfortable enough in what I saw in Trump, and equally nonplussed at Clinton’s lack of executive experience, that I believed he could accomplish my two priorities.” Either this guy needs glasses or he only sees alternative facts.

6. UWS_lifer says:

Since you are so concerned with children, how do you feel about Trumps new Sec. of Education, Betsy DeVos??

Was she the most qualified? Did Trump have the country’s poor and middle class children’s best interests in mind? Does she have any background or experience whatsoever….at all…anything????

Oh, that’s right…her family donated over $200 million dollars to the Republican Party.

Anyway, what a shame.

• sg says:

What nonsense…a big Conservative donor is a problem but not liberals (Soros, Steyer, etc.). Unlike the teachers union, she actually cares about public school children.

• uh what says:

Did you just say that the teachers union doesn’t care about children? That’s pretty misguided.

• A Bob says:

The teachers’ union protects teachers just as every other union protects its employees first. Their #1 priority is to increase teachers compensation and does not include bettering education for the sake of the students. If the teachers’ union was on top of creating a school system where education excelled, there would have been no chance for No Child Left Behind to be a thing. It was created, while ridiculous, as the best option presented because nothing else was being done.

• adam says:

I’m sorry – can you remind me what Cabinet positions have been held by George Soros and Tom Steyer?

• zeus says:

The most important positions of all:
            Billionar passing on their agendas through mega donations to both parties.
            And the democrats always cry foul, yet accept hundreds of millions from their own billionar buddies.
            Wake up and smell the stench of freshly minted hundred dollar bills.

• adam says:

No reasonable person would deny the influence of money in politics regardless of political orientation. The issue at hand is the appointment of a wholly unqualified person to a Cabinet position solely as a result of massive political contributions.

• Chuck D says:

Soros hasn’t been appointed to anything in the government. See the difference?

• A Bob says:

How about:

Matthew Barzun, $3.5M, U.S. Ambassador to Sweden from 2009-2011, President Obama’s National Finance Chair during his 2012 reelection campaign, and U.S. Ambassador to the United Kingdom.

Julius Genachowski, $3.5m, Chairman of the FCC

Frank Sanchez, $3.4m, Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade

• Mark says:

He probably can’t see the difference.
            The Right isn’t big on facts and information.

• zeus says:

Soros does not need to be appointed to anything.
            He buys governments.

• UWS_lifer says:

Really? Does he get a deal if he like buys two or three at the same time. Maybe a discount or like a buy one get one free situation.

Hmmm….maybe he cut some coupons out of the paper and got a deal. I’m sure he never pays retail though..I mean, he is Jewish after all and we hate to pay retail.

Reminds me of a quote from that great poet of the 20th Century, Jay-Z….

“you can’t sell us, bulls&%$….we know the prices.”:)

• Patricia says:

As do the Koch’s and The Mercer’s. This campaign was a wild dream come true for Citizens United Supporter Steve Bannon who is aligned and backed by Rebekah Mercer. Hope you have read up on both. At least “most” of the left take care of people, and a good portion (not all) on the right just want to deregulate and destroy civil decency. Though you won’t agree. Bottom line we need some government house cleaning and tweaking of our system to get big money exposed. Add that to the list as the orange twisted one rapes this country.

• David says:

And what about NY Mayor Bill DeBlasio’s naming of Carmen Farina as Chancellor of the school system? She had loads of “experience” as an educator, and hers has been an abysmal tenure in the job! Experience does not always predict how well someone will perform in a job! Betsy DeVos recognizes that the public school system in this country is seriously in need of remediation, and is a supporter of the charter schools and giving parents a choice of where they wish to send their children! She may do well in her position, she may not……..but it is clear that her predecessors on the job have not done a damned thing to improve the situation, WITH all of their experience! The only reason why there was such opposition to DeVos being named was because the teachers’ unions led it, owing to her support for charter schools.

• Ground Control says:

UWSider-You’ve got that right! No experience appears to be what is required to be on the Trump team. Billions in campaign contributions is the only criteria. DeVos was brought in to deconstruct our public school system and privatize it. Education-the great equalizer. But I sincerely believe that this is not what is wanted in an Administration riding off the skids of American Democracy. Time will tell, and while we can admire the writer’s honesty, he will suffer the same as those of us who voted for Clinton.

7. Brian M. says:

You seem like a nice guy by now you’ve figured out this idiot only emboldening the terrorists and giving them an effective rallying cry to recruit new members and financial supporters. Good going.

8. annE says:

you bring up an interesting point about ‘hiring’ a president – the one big question that came out of this entire year for me is : why doesn’t the job of POTUS require an interview of sorts, or vetting (i.e., making income taxes public), or something to confirm the candidate has a thorough understanding of the job responsibilities, the Constitution and how government works (in terms of foreign relations, how to execute an executive order without creating chaos, how to keep the Commander in Chief’s communications in check so as not to effect national security, etc) – this has my blood boiling !!!

9. CC says:

I agree. thanks for posting your pro Trump thoughts. Let’s hope the other side allows you your opinion without backlash. I suffered through Obama for 8 years without villifying those who voted for him.

10. Sprinkles says:

I’m having a hard time believing this is real. I mean – you’re saying Clinton lacks “executive” (I.e. Getting stuff done) experience to be President, but the person who has never been in government a day in his life is fine? Trump was the most unqualified candidate in American history and you’re honestly saying you chose him for his “experience”?

“If you can’t do the job, regardless of what you tell me on television or in ads, you’re not getting my vote.”

Sir, it has been obvious since day 1 of campaign season that Trump can’t do the job. Now that he’s in office, it’s even more glaringly obvious. This was all 100% foreseeable.

What’s the real reason?

• Izzy says:

If you’re going to discuss why you voted for Trump, at least give us the real reasons. I don’t know how you can honestly say with a straight face that you believe that he will keep us safe from terrorists and help those who are impoverished. This is almost laughable.

11. Nathan says:

Respectfully disagree with your assessment of Trump. I didn’t vote for Clinton either, but instead voted third-party. (Those of you who’ve seen my comments can guess which party.)

My vote was easy because New York isn’t a swing state, so no matter who I voted for my vote didn’t really count. If I were in a swing state…I would have held my nose and voted for Clinton. And I oppose basically all her policies. Trump is just *that* unqualified to be President. It’s not his executive ability that disqualifies him, mind you, but his temperament.

• Nathan says:

But it does take courage to admit you voted for Trump in this city. I’ll give you that. And, despite how much I dislike Trump and his ideas, I do enjoy watching the left-wing throw a fit over every single thing. But it’s cold comfort knowing how damaging his presidency might be.

12. Jeff says:

I guess he’s not a snowflake. Young people under 45 have very little moral compass, and lack of discipline I’m upper ws over 40 years . This gentleman has it right not flipping out. Trump is a leader that we needed I have voted for every party over time

• Mark says:

Please provide evidence to support your claim about people under age 45 having a problem with their “moral compass” and “lack of discipline” when compared to older people.

Don’t worry. I’m just kidding. There is no evidence.
        We are very used to seeing people snowflakes the Right have opinions based on “feelings” rather than fact.

13. Debbie says:

Sorry, I have zero respect for anyone who voted for Trump after his misogyny, racism, and evil nature were on display during the election. He is a despicable person with not one iota of compassion or empathy. Once I saw him abuse the Gold Star parents and mock a handicapped reporter about his disability, I knew that I could never respect him or anyone voting for him. He cares only about himself and exhibits mental illness.
      He’s a disgrace to this country and the human race. I can hardly think of a worse role model for my children.

• UWSHebrew says:

You are supposed to be a role model for your children, not the President. I’ll take Trump with all his flaws, because he actually cares about this country and the safety of it’s citizens. Unlike Clinton, whose flaws are much more serious and too many to mention. Thank G-d Clinton was defeated.

• Mark says:

How do you really know whether either Trump or Clinton truly and honestly cared about anything beyond their own careers?
          In my estimation, Clinton was more believable as she has a long history of advocacy work going back to her time in college.
          Is Trump on record anywhere as having done anything that didn’t directly benefit himself?

• UWSHebrew says:

“Career” regarding Trump?! He has a beautiful wife 25 years younger than him, capped off a decade of very highly rated reality television, and is constantly constructing / renovating buildings. He’s 70 years old, you think he ran for POTUS as a CAREER choice?! He did it because he saw the downhill slope this country has been on, and he wants to change it around, because he loves America. If you want to make that statement about Hillary Clinton, well, that would be spot-on, as she raked in tens of millions for her “speeches” which we all know she was supposed to pay back through favors when she became POTUS.

• Margaret says:

Oh gross.

So in this “in no way sexist” worldview, how much better is a president with a beautiful spouse his own age, vs a president with a somehow less pretty spouse 25 years younger than him? What about someone whose hero in life was literally “no one. Or wait, I guess definitely, myself.” Which one would be the best qualified commander in chief deciding when and how to send American troops off to war?

Please don’t bitch about intolerance if you’re expecting to get away with ridiculous bs like that.

• EricaC says:

I am surprised that you still support him after his explanation for ignoring the death of Jews in the Holocaust.

• UWSHebrew says:

@ Margaret — you misunderstood me. My point in stating he has a beautiful wife 25 years younger than him is not to congratulate him on it, or to hold him in high regard because of it. It was that he does not need to be President “with all he has” already in his life. But he chose to enter politics and the stress it entails because he wants to steer the country in what he (and what many other Americans believe), is a better direction that Clinton, who would continue down the Obama path (completely failed foreign policy as an example). NOW, your misguided, disgusting comment “Please don’t bitch about intolerance”, is out of left-field, and has more to do with YOUR PREJUDICES, as I have not stated ANYTHING to warrant that.

• UWSHebrew says:

@ Erica — I’ll take his Holocaust comments all day, every day, as it is better than Obama and his administration, stabbing Israel in the back at the U.N. days before he left office. Even the most liberal, Obama-loving American Jews were in shock when that occurred (I was not surprised one bit).

• Margaret says:

We all hope you are right, UWShebrew. Every one of us wants peace and prosperity, along with American freedom.

I don’t trust Trump at all – I see him as a lunatic – but I hope I’m mistaken. Like you said, hopefully the fact he is a father and a grandfather means he acts with a calm and realistic eye towards the future.

• Izzy says:

AUWSHebrew Now I understand why you “like” Trump. I just read through all of your comments on this thread in an attempt to understand it, and now it’s so obvious to me. This is about Israel and the UN Vote. I get it, I totally disagree with you on that issue, but I get it now. That said, at least do us all a favor and don’t pretend you actually think Trump is a decent president, or decent human being for that matter, when that really isn’t what you’re fighting for.

• Mark says:

Yup.
              There are plenty of Jews like me who understand that holding Israel to high standards isn’t anti-Israel.
              Real friends can disagree.
              Snowflakes require constant adoration and agreement.

• UWSHebrew says:

@ Izzy. You are gross. I mentioned what Obama did and now you state that is why I like Trump. What a hateful smear-merchant you are.

• Mark says:

“You are gross”.
              You should consider a job as a Trump speechwriter. Seems you share an intellectual level and linguistic sophistication.

• David says:

Bravo, UWSHebrew…..

Well said, indeed!

• SA_NYC says:

Have to agree with you here. Trump is not something we should be normalizing.

• dj says:

You are fake news! I will call you out on just one of your false claims: Trump did not mock a reporter for his disability. Trump uses the same gestures generally to mock people. He did the same to Ted Cruz, for instance. Granted, it’s not the most sophisticated way to ridicule someone, but the way the media has misrepresented it is dishonest and reprehensible.

• CatShaw54 says:

Oh, well, then, I guess you believe that spazzy and contemptuous mockery done in general rather than in particular befits the protocols of the Oval Office of the United States of America. So presidential! Sad!

14. D Dalton says:

No need to debate with Howard when I totally agree and support him.

How typical and dismissive that you would assume that would be the only replies. Nothing like the loving Liberals, but only if you agree with them.

15. Beth says:

Howard, the Doomsday clock has already been set closer to midnight under the new president’s watch. So much for him keeping your family safer from terrorism and a major war.
      Fake news and alternative facts should be alarming to all Americans, no matter who you voted for in November. As a contributor to the WSR, there’s another thing I think you’d be frightened of–the Trump administration’s efforts to demonize and clamp down on a free press. Certainly the press has a duty to report the facts without bias. However, unless you’re the head of a totalitarian regime, being questioned and critiqued by the press comes with the territory of being president.

16. Janet David says:

Trump is unstable and erratic and is making enemies of allies. This makes the US unsafe

17. manhattan mark says:

Howard, we all want to keep our families safe from terror and we know that the more wealth is distributed among the
      poor and the disadvantaged the stronger the economy is.
      The only thing that I didn’t read is the amount and type of
      research you did while making up your mind. I do hope you
      have the opportunity to research for yourself in the next
      election. I wish you well !

18. columbus_crew says:

“I wanted a candidate who would … (2) foster an economic environment to accelerate job creation for all Americans, especially poor Americans.”

Besides Trump touting that he was going to bring back manufacturing jobs–jobs which are never realistically coming back in significant numbers due to automation–what made you think Trump would foster job creation?

“I look at their values and how they live them out with accomplishments that I also value.”

This is the kind of thinking I will just never be able to wrap my head around, as it seems to emanate from an entirely delusional alternate reality (and I’m not trying to be antagonistic for antagonism’s sake, just conveying my honest sentiments). Trump’s former wife accused him of rape in a sworn deposition. Over a dozen women came forward to allege they were sexually assaulted by him. He was caught on tape boasting about sexual misconduct. His professional career is littered with contractors he has stiffed and mistreated. Politically neutral monitors found that Trump lied during his campaign at rates astronomically higher than Clinton, a pathology that has only worsened in office. And for all his claims that he is not a bigot, it is impossible to deny that Trump’s rhetoric during the campaign at the very least deliberately played to nativist and even outright racist sentiment among certain contingencies of his supporters. And to you, and many others, this was the “values” candidate. I just … don’t get it.

• katherine says:

I agree 100% with columbus_crew. I agree that Howard Freeman is courageous to express his minority opinion here. I hope he is brave and open-minded enough to change his mind and stop supporting Trump (and to speak out about it) when he learns more about how ruinous Trump’s actions, words, plans, and character are for our country.

19. zeus says:

Does it mean that the 90% who voted for Clinton are losers?

I respect that he came out as a Trump voter.
      I have three neighbors in my building on West End Avenue who did just that.
      It’s amazing how the upper west side is so progressive yet will not accept that not all will be of the same political mind.
      Kind of makes you think that the liberals are not the ones to be inclusive.

And one more thing, please do not equate Trump to Hitler.
      This lets Hitler off the hook.

And as Rahm Emanuel said:” “take a chill pill and stop whining. Think only on the next battle ground”.

20. Samantha says:

Sorry, Howard, but Dumpf doesn’t care at all about you and your family. You may not have liked Hillary, but to fall for the propaganda and garbage that came out of Dumpf’s mouth during the election to actually vote for him- what a simplistic view of the world you must have..

You made a colossal mistake, especially for your sons. I hope you are not also teaching them to aspire to BE like Dumpf – he is a horrible role model, a racist liar and a disgrace of a leader. A child and narcissist that has no place in the most powerful job in the world. Already he has thrown the wrecking ball through global alliances that were necessary to – as you say – keep us safe. You and your family are FAR FAR FAR less safe now than you were a year ago. And your sons will someday be on the front lines.

No respect for your decision. You will regret it

21. Gary Schulze says:

Are you kidding? Past performance is an indicator of future success. So you voted for a guy who had a terrible record of stiffing vendors, running casinos into the ground, multiple bankruptcies. Man, you’d make a lousy executive recruiter.

22. Elizabeth says:

How’s your decision feeling now? Feel safer? Is a man who equates the actions of American politicians with those of Putin someone you want to lead this country? And how about this cabinet? Are your public school educated children well-served by a secretary of education who doesn’t believe in public education?

23. Lara says:

This sounds like it was planted by the GOP. I don’t believe this is a real person. The photo looks like a stock photo.

• zeus says:

Are you an expert of photography and stock photos?
        Can’t you think that some people will vote for Trump because they think he’s the better candidate?

24. UWSHebrew says:

Mr. Freeman, you are not alone.

25. Lara says:

Yikes! This person is real! Totally in a bubble of alternative reality.

• zeus says:

Dear Lara,
        He may be live a bubble, but so are you.
        The bubble of NYC and the Upper West side, where anyone and anything that does not agree with you is labeled disgusting, ugly, Nazi, racist, etc.
        It’s about time that the far left realize they lost the election, regroup for the next one and take some medicine to calm down.
        Cheers all and welcome the snow that will be oh so nice for all you snowflakes.

• Mark says:

You should consider reading some Trump tweets and Spicer comments for examples of extreme snowflakery.
          Sorry, with “leaders” with the thinnest of skins and who would rather whine, blame, and cry than govern, the Right should think twice about throwing around the “snowflake” label.

zeus — thank you.

26. Ruth says:

I voted for Trump because he seemed to be the better alternative. Hillary came to the election with many issues that left her untrustworthy. I thought Trump presented as more sincere in his desire to help America. She and the Democrats are favored by the urban voters who are also the most affluent, most vocal and most likely to get into the media.
      I fit the profile of a Clinton supporter big time.

27. Lois Stavsky says:

I don’t get it. He will only endanger our safety by inciting terror, and he has made it quite obvious that he has nothing but disdain for the vulnerable. You can’t be serious. I try to understand what goes on in the minds of Trump’s supporters, but I don’t get it.

28. nycityny says:

I’ve contended that the guy won the presidency because enough folks who hated Clinton lived in the right states. Clinton lost the election because of the deep vitriol many felt towards her. Ask anybody who voted for Donald to describe their opinion of Clinton and you’ll get a mouthful. I doubt the words of praise above for Donald are the real reason for the vote – it is the writer’s feelings about his opponent that really mattered. Not policy, not fear of terrorism (we’re more likely to be shot by a fellow non-Muslim citizen in this country than ever encounter a terrorist), not job preparation.

29. Margaret says:

I appreciate this article. I’ve been curious to hear the reasons for Upper West Siders who voted for Trump.

The president scares me on national security, climate change, American civil rights, and foreign policy. Some of these are areas where any missteps could do deep damage to our future; others can ruin lives.

I’ve seen enough in two weeks to be done with “give Trump a chance.” (Maybe screaming at Australia, or maybe nominating a secretary of energy who didn’t know his position safeguards our nuclear arsenal). My sentiment is that America today feels like a horror movie where we’re the character who just rushed under the chainsaw wall and meanwhile those threatening phonecalls are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE. The consequences are so alarming. But I hope I’m mistaken and Trump lives up to the faith you put in him.

30. Mel Stone says:

Dude, you drank the cool aid!

31. JustJen says:

Curious if by “registered Independent” means you are in fact registered with “American Independent Party?” If so, perhaps your research should begin there. It is a far-right organization, not the benign organization many assume it is.

32. Paul RL says:

Good for you Howard. Living on the Upper West Side doesn’t mean that we have to apologize for not abiding by the “rules” that some of our neighbors proclaim as defining our neighborhood. I too voted for Trump, albeit reluctantly, mainly for reasons that have to do with our economy. I admit that I am very disappointed with the temperament that he continues to display as well as his Presidential appointments. But I’m also aghast at the fanatical, intolerant behavior that many anti-Trumpers exhibit toward those who voted for him.

• Kathleen says:

Paul RL says: “I am very disappointed with the temperament that he continues to display” I’m curious about what made you think he would not continue to be who he has always been. Please help me understand that.

• Paul RL says:

Sure Kathleen. Simply put, I believed that much of his bluster was in fact bluster. And that once elected, he would calm down his rhetoric, appoint more moderate (and experienced) Cabinet picks, truly reach out to the folks that didn’t vote for him, and take some public speaking training. I also was hoping that since he’s from New York, he wouldn’t lean so far-right on the social issues (abortion, for example) that, in my opinion, have hijacked the Republican party. On the flip side, I feel that the Democratic party has been hijacked by the far-left Progressives, and my first mantra was “Anyone But Bernie.” Most of my job interaction is with people from all over the country who own small businesses and manufacturing companies. They overwhelmingly voted for Trump because they are suffering economically and feel that he could help with lower taxes and job creation. It’s easy for folks who live in the New York Bubble to paint everyone who voted for him as a bigoted, misogynistic homophobe, but that’s simply not the case.

33. Leo says:

Howard – I respect your views, but f I don’t agree with them. What I can’t for the life of me understand though is even in the hope of change, how to overlook everything else he represents, I don’t need to name them. All the rules and respect for this position have been shattered. It is incomprehensible to me that this has happened and that he represents our country. I don’t understand how you can look the other way and ignore the rest of the picture. Seriously help me understand this?

34. WestSide_Mimi says:

Howard, I totally respect your logic. My major issue with him was his temperament (although I had other hesitations). However Hillary was far from perfect either. There was no good candidate for these times. I am curious, how do you like him now?

35. Mark says:

Well, from this poster who is repulsed by Trump to you – I hope Trump succeeds in keeping our country safe, expanding economic opportunities and well-being, and making America better (I personally think it was great before he was inaugurated).
      But I have serious doubts given his:

-illogical travel ban that is likely to make us less secure;
      -ongoing behavior of nasty, mean-spirited tweets and comments about anyone who disagrees with him;
      -proud ignorance of the nuance that is found in every domestic and international topic;
      -appointments of billionaire “elites” who are dogmatic rather than practical and unlikely to understand or care about the ordinary American;
      -revival of conservative social views that will likely lead to special laws that will provide safe spaces to religious fundamentalists. Those laws will allow them to avoid doing their jobs while discriminating against people with whom they disagree.

Perhaps he will grow.
      I hope so.
      I would be thrilled if, after 4 years of Trump, I can look back and say “I was wrong about him”.

At the end of the day, we are all Americans and I would love to see us all safe, secure, and happy.

• Kathleen says:

Your hopes, UWS mom, are empty and have no basis in reality. I read often, “I hope this” about donald trump or “I hope that” about donald trump. It’s so important to understand he is NOT going to change and hoping he will helps people avoid taking action and seeing the truth. We need not hope he will change, we need to hope we can and will effect change because we are taking actions to do so. That is a hope I can get behind because history shows us that resistance, advocacy and activism do change the course of events.

36. EricaC says:

What is interesting is that my goals are similar, and I went the other way. I believe that Trump’s approach and behavior are far more likely to leave us isolated, economically and militarily, and I find his behavior so far to confirm those fears. And I want an economy that serves me, but that does not rest on the backs of people sinking into despair. The ACA is a key piece of that latter element, as are elements of the ever-despised welfare. I wanted to see them amended, but not repealed – magical thinking is not going to solve those problems.

I do believe that captalism has, in general, produced more good for more people than other economic systems have – but when unlimited by regulation and social programs to aid those left at the bottom, it leads to such inequities that the system collapses. Allowing the wealthy to magnify their vote, relying on suppression of minority voters and other tactics in recent use make clear that the current situation can be supported only if many are disenfranchised – and it proves that supporters of these tactics know it.

Ultimately, I believe this election will prove a turning point for this country because it will prove whether we are willing to ignore cruelty, inequity, bias, and exploitation as well as short-sighted destruction of the national patrimony to serve our own short-term economic well being. I do not believe that the majority of Americans will – when they see plainly that this is what they have in their government. I believe that as the antics of this administration continue, more and more people who were willing to “give him a try” will recognize that you can’t dance with the devil and remain untainted. I already see more societal engagement by many (including myself) who were content to let things rise and leave things in the hands of others who, like most activists, are more wedded to theory that practical good and, in the end, I think that will save us. And if some infrastructure actually gets built along the way, so much the better.

In the meantime, I think we would all do well to try to behave like adults and stop name calling. As you can see, I have serious policy and moral differences with your views, but I appreciate your laying them out and having the courage to put your name to them.

37. Carlos says:

I appreciate you presenting your reasons for voting for Trump in a clear, non-combative manner. That being said, regarding your points:

– On executive experience, yes, Trump has run a large company. But he has never worked in government. He ran his large company like a dictator, and he is now doing the same thing in government. Government is all about compromise and negotiation. He is clearly unable to do this.

– Until Trump made it an issue, being safe from terrorists was so far from my top priorities. I am more likely to die getting hit by a truck crossing Broadway than in a terrorist attack. But even if that was a major concern, all Trump has done since entering office is further antagonize terrorists, not make America safer.

– As a parent of children, one of my key points in electing a president is “hiring” someone my kids can look up to. That is why I loved Obama, regardless of his policy – he lives by the principles I believe in. Hillary Clinton was far from a saint, but Trump’s behavior throughout his lifetime has been horrible. His lying, inability to admit mistakes, exaggerations, and overall nastiness are the opposite of what I want my kids to know. I could have agreed with him 100% on policy and I still would not have voted for him.

• Ground Control says:

Not to mention the demeaning and abusive way he spoke about and treated women who came forward to say he assaulted them, all to be ignored by voters who are so far into denial its deeply disturbing. Our former Mayor Michael Bloomberg knew the real deal as do most of the people who worked with Trump at a high level in NY.
        “Throughout his career, Trump has left behind a well-documented record of bankruptcies, thousands of lawsuits, angry shareholders and contractors who feel cheated, and disillusioned customers who feel ripped off. Trump says he wants to run the nation like he’s run his business. God help us,” Bloomberg said.

• Howard Freeman says:

And thank you, Carlos, for your respectful and thoughtful rebuttal.

38. Nancy Alexander says:

Dear Howard,

My only hope is you will be able to be truthful if Donald Trump does not perform in the interest of all the people.

Fear and other stuff sometimes cloud an individual’s perceptions. Trump has already revealed his intentions of ignoring the rule of law and appointing cabinet members blatantly unqualified.

Peace be with you,
      Nancy Alexander

• Howard Freeman says:

Thank you, Nancy. I was candid enough to write the article; I will publicly admit I was wrong if I feel Trump has not done what I voted him into to office to do.

39. Father of three and native of UWS says:

Wow! Have you been drinking the Kool-Aid! Trump has made the world less safe ALREADY by isolating us from our allies and emboldening our foes. And, his self-proclaimed business successes are attributable to inherited wealth and manipulation of tax laws, not to great business skill. He has many more failures than successes. Please join me in praying for America to survive the next four years.

40. Jens says:

To those who votes for Trump: I wonder if you now realize that the republic is being slowly dismantled.

41. Mark Moore says:

How on earth anyone could fall for the lie that Trump will somehow make us safer is just beyond me.

42. Chuck D says:

I applaud WSR’s letting this guy have his say. He seems like an articulate and thoughtful person. To me, he seems incredibly naive. I hope 90% of us are wrong.

I’d love to hear more of what he thinks of Trump’s hiring decisions so far, and in general as we go along. I’d like to know if he is at all embarrassed or ashamed of how the USA is behaving on the world stage.

Thanks again, WSR, for bringing us a divergent view.

43. UWS Dad says:

Well done for speaking out Howard. We live in a democracy and I’ve been appalled at the “Trump-shaming” of his supporters that has taken place, especially in our great city. I didn’t vote for him (or Hillary for that matter) but I fully support your right to have done so.

44. AnDee says:

Simple question – when you say you’re worried about your family’s safety, do you worry more about a terrorist attack, or being shot? When you look at the number of shooting deaths in this country, they dwarf all other unnatural causes other than, in some states, auto accidents, and of course also dwarf per capita and in raw numbers shooting deaths in peer countries around the world. If Trump were really interested in public safety, wouldn’t he be more focused on defeating the NRA rather than kowtowing to them?

45. Janis Totham-Davies says:

You really need more time to decide if Trump is doing a good job? I pity anymore who bought into Trumps vision that this country is over run with terrorists or that he could bring back 1950s jobs, or that he cares at all about family values. This man only cares about himself his billionaire friends and power! If you do not realize this by now and if you are so well off that the rest of us don’t even enter your thoughts, then I am truly sorry for you. I am especially sorry if you have children as I do, because this madman is going to destroy any future they might have had! If you want to worry about something real, worry bout civil rights, our clean water our clean air and about a living wage, and a planet worth living on in the future for our children and our grandchildren of which I have three!

46. Kathleen says:

“I look at their values and how they live them out with accomplishments that I also value” This statement belies any reason to vote for trump whose values are amoral and completely self-serving. As for his accomplishments, at whose cost has he accomplished anything? He has used and abused people all the way along. donald trump has NO values that align themselves with my own and I do not believe he is capable of doing one fourth of the things he boasts he is going to do, and his attempts to do so will continue to be poorly constructed, poorly thought out and regardless of humanitarian and environmental consequences. I’m very glad I don’t work for Mr. Freeman, as his judgment appears distorted at best.

47. T Harrison says:

This guy is brave fer posting that he voted for trump. But his thought processes are sadly indicative of a certain mindset… I could pile on and go off on this guy. But it won’t get through… Mebbe the resultant chaos since the election will..

48. Red Raleigh says:

1] Trumps actions in the first two weeks of his Presidency have made us LESS safe.

2] Donald Trump has hired inexperienced billionaires to fill his Cabinet. If you believe they are the least bit interested in helping “the most vulnerable by creating a path out of poverty” then I have a bridge to sell you.

I still don’t understand how 63 million voters could ignore Trump’s racist, narcissistic, bullying, mendacious character but I suppose ignorance really is bliss.

49. Janice says:

If you still believe that Trump was the candidate that would keep you safer, by now I’m thinking you may not feel this way. Most,not all cabinet nominees are worrisome and unqualified and his business dealings and relationship with Russia, must be troubling. I’m still hard pressed to see what you can feel upbeat about? Have I missed something? Have I misheard all the non fact based assertions? Did I misinterpret his misogynistic declarations?
      I’m perplexed.

50. cma says:

Howard, thank you for your willingness to do this and for sharing what you care most about. My questions for you are: how did you feel about the way Trump talked and behaved toward all the other candidates? Do you feel his use of language and twitter style is appropriate for a president of the US?
      We’re you at all concerned about revelations about his behavior towards women? Did you believe them? What level of safety are you expecting from Trump that you felt you did not have before? Do you think we should sacrifice environmental protections for some job creations? I could ask more, but will leave it for now.

• Howard Freeman says:

Thanks for the comment, cma. Actually, what I first reacted to was the Administration’s decision to decrease and even eliminate federal grants to municipal transportation. Even though I read that most states/cities, etc., get perhaps 10% of their budgets from the Fed, I assume the MTA would pass along any loss in the form of fare hikes, which might effectively be a regressive tax on the poor. Unless they increase weekly and monthly passes rather than daily fares.

51. wg says:

You are lucky that your white male privilege allows you to think he can keep your family safe. My (white female) privilege might protect me to a certain extent too, perhaps. But it was the millions of vulnerable people in this country who I was more concerned about when casting my vote. I worry about the rural poor and minority women in danger of losing their healthcare because of threats to Planned Parenthood. I worry about the American citizens – immigrant or not – who are constantly under threat of racist violence due to the vitriol that this man’s campaign stirred up. I worry about the populations here and around the world who will be (and already are) most affected by climate change. It’s shameful that so many people were unable to look beyond the carefully constructed idea of Clinton as such a villain, and deeply-flawed candidate – an idea that her political enemies have been able to perfect for decades – and consider the actual facts of her qualifications (which included non-partisan studies that she was one of the most honest politicians around).

52. Moderate One says:

I didn’t vote for either, but it doesn’t matter now. We have the what we have, and we have to fight for better people to get into politics, and get money out of the elections. I have one child that voted for Clinton and one for Trump, I love them both the same. Maybe we need a moderate party instead of such extremes. Thank you for being brave, and we need to be civil.
      Also, when you register DTS, that means you can vote for any party. The person was correct, Independent Party not what it sounds like.

• Kathleen says:

When someone registers as an Independent voter, it means they are not affiliated with any formal party. The American Independent Party is something entirely different.

• Howard Freeman says:

Yep; thanks, Kathleen. I registered Independent because i didn’t want to be pigeonholed as DEM or REP.

53. Moishe Lefkowitz says:

To a degree I understand the allure of basing your vote on who you think will be best for the economy – with that candidate’s business prowess being the main indicator.

However, The Hill points out that successful businessmen usually make pretty poor presidents: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/campaign/298724-businessmen-including-donald-trump-make-bad-presidents

A similar article was posted in 2012 as well.

I wish the article explained the whys, and nuts and bolts – but there’s enough evidence to prove to me it’s a fallacy to expect that a successful businessman is going to find success orchestrating the entire US economy and government. Consider that for 2020.

• UWSHebrew says:

It’s been less than a month and you’re bringing up 2020. How about you give the man a chance, and stop treating Trump like the enemy. He’s the President, show some damn respect.

54. David says:

Thank you, Howard, for demonstrating the courage of your convictions, and voicing your support for President Trump. It cannot have been an easy thing to do, given the wall of opposition that you will doubtless encounter from your fellow Upper West Siders. Like you, I am a lifelong resident of the Upper West Side, but my political views are not all in keeping with those of the neighborhood. As far as I am concerned, the country was desperately in need of a change in direction away from the brand of leftist liberal progressive pablum that we have been spoon fed for far too long! Donald Trump brings with him a refreshing change in that direction and a promise of restoring a period of common sense and increased prosperity, if he is able to overcome the intransigence and obstinacy of Democrats who are stubbornly resisting Trump’s Presidency.

55. John says:

My wife and I also voted fro Trump because we think Liberals are domestic terrorist

56. Maggie says:

I have observed your politics intently from the onset and am unbiased..as a non American living in NYC. I have spoken with many people from many states who support and like Trump. The interesting part is that they are “closet” supporters and very non vocal until the coast is clear to say how they really feel. They start the conversation “who do you like” and when they realize they won’t be criticized, they say how much hope they have and how much they want him as president. Very, very interesting! I think this is why he won. Behind closed doors they could not be scrutinized. My point here is he is actually very well liked, but Americans keep their support to themselves.

• dj says:

Very astute observation, Maggie! Many on the political left in our country tend to be ideological bullies — as you can see from many of the comments here. They like to think they are open-minded, but if you don’t agree with them…watch out! So people who have a different opinion learn to keep their mouths shut, it’s better than being harassed.

Of course, those on the left are then shocked – shocked! – when their candidate loses, because they think everyone thinks the way they do. Happens every time a Republican wins. As time goes on, their post-election meltdowns are getting bigger.

• CatShaw54 says:

No one is ecstatic when their candidate doesn’t win. But liberal-thinking people (who are seldom “the left” but perhaps just a little left of center) acknowledge that recent Republican presidents have at least been qualifed. They’ve been governors or senators or vice presidents, they have government experience.

Our situation today is highly unusual and highly troublesome to us. Suddenly we have this uncouth, inexperienced, unqualified, willfully uniformed, malignantly narcissistic, learning-disabled (why do you think he doesn’t read?), undiplomatic, isolationistic demagogue in the Oval Office, an embarrassment to the U.S. on the world stage and a threat to our very way of life, our Constitution.

He may have been a builder of buildings but look at what he’s doing: destroying the edifice of this country with his reactionary policies. He lies and he breaks the law and so far he’s gotten away with it. His behavior and his character are beyond the pale. When we resist, we resist the wrongheadedness and wrongdoing of him and his cronies. This is not sour grapes. This is patriotic activism.

• CatShaw54 says:

I meant “uninformed” not “uniformed” but maybe that’s next. We’ll all be uniformed and in lockstep!

• Howard Freeman says:

Maggie, thanks for your comment. You have the advantage of being a modern Tocqueville, and I appreciate your perspective.

Trump was branded early on as a new Hitler, which makes any of his supporters instant Nazis which, we all know, is the moniker that ends all debate. This is one of many reasons why few speak out. You’ve also seen that it’s near impossible to have a civil discourse about one’s vote this past election anyway. I’m learning new epithets by the hour.

57. keith says:

The irony here is that I would suspect most folks reading this agree with Howard’s intent. I too want a safer country from terrorism and to uplift the lower and middle classes.

The failure in Howard’s statement is any detail of how his choice was shaped to illustrate Trump would accomplish these things better than HC.

Many of us would like to hear a clear answer to those questions beyond character defamation and sound bytes.

When did we start putting aside facts for propaganda?

HC has spent her entire life fighting for lower and middle class people as a lawyer and a public advocate. There is plenty of evidence to show this.

DT spent a significant amount of time at studio 54 and developing a real estate industry that has been plagued with lawsuits, substantiated charges of racial profiling, bankruptcies, and yes not paying his bills to contractors and labor when he can get away with it. There is plenty of evidence to show this.

Hillary clinton has been described by world leaders and administration officials as a hard liner in foreign affairs. She sat in the war room and voted to proceed to take out osama bin laden. Certainly not inexperienced. There is evidence to show this.

Donald Trump has zero experience in foreign affairs and international diplomacy.

I think you may owe us a better explanation for your position than merely your hopes and dreams. We share those.

58. Waco Will says:

Trump’s inability to understand anything at even a superficial level is and was always going to make him susceptible to the influence leeches and bad actors — and that is exactly what we’re seeing now.

I don’t buy what this dude Howard’s selling either. Trump had a long history of business failures and carny dealings. Howard — that’s the kind of guy you would hire? Someone who would knowingly bilk contractors, consumers and students? Or were you too brainwashed by anti-Hillary propaganda?

59. S. Hayes says:

The play write David Mamet said that real tyranny would come from the left. Sadly
      after spending the past 30 minutes reading the above comments, in a way he’s correct.
      Sometimes I wish for more adversaries like Howard Freeman. You don’t have to agree with someone to admire their thoughtfulness.
      P.S. the UES in no way resembles this 90%…

• Howard Freeman says:

Thank you, S. Heyes. Even if we were adversaries, on the UES we’d first break out the martinis. If of course I lived there. And if i still drank. 🙂

60. Nukleopatra says:

Well, I for one agree with much of what he said, and also voted for Trump. It’s a bit silly, in my opinion, that anyone needs to “come out” as a Trump supporter. This article is implying that it’s shameful to have a different opinion from those around you. The lack of respect for the opinion of others from the Left is truly disgusting in the aftermath of Trump’s victory. I didn’t vote for Obama (twice) and I never once threw a tantrum about it the way many people who supported Hillary are, smashing up property during “protests” and the like. The reaction to Hillary losing is truly shameful and disguting. I never agree with 100% of what any politician claims to want to do when running for office, instead I support a candidate based on the issues that I side with him/her on, accepting that there will be some things I won’t love or agree with entirely. It seems that the media, and many on the Left, see things as black and white only with Trump, which is absurd. There is a lot of growing up to be done. The fact that this man has to “come out” as someone with a different point of view or opinion is proof of that. Oh, and I’m gay, to make it a bit more “interesting.” I know that I’m definitely in the minority having supported Trump, being gay, and living in New York City, but I really don’t care. As they say, opinions are like “assh*les.” Everybody has one, Right and Left aside. I look forward to the next 4 years and the progress (IMO) already made over the last 3 weeks.

• 9d8b7988045e4953a882 says:

I feel like conservatives and libertarians are the new gays. In universities and areas of the country where the Left dominates, we must stay deeply closeted. Speaking out against the party line can have negative consequences for one’s career. (And you know which party I’m talking about.)

It gives me some idea of what closeted gays must have felt like for many years, having to listen to people trashing them while unable to respond.

• Nukleopatra says:

I tend to agree. As it is, I sit in my workplace every day and hear co-workers bashing Trump endlessly. It was similar with George W. Bush during his two terms. However, nothing of the kind happened during either of Obama’s terms. It would not have been accepted to stand around at each other’s desks, or the water cooler, bashing him. And I imagine, had I chosen to do so (which I would not have, since I am mature and professional) that I would have been deemed “racist.” People on the Left really need to take a long look at themselves in the mirror and get their behavior in check. It’s appalling.

• Jim says:

No, you have absolutely no idea as to what it’s like to be a closeted gay man or woman. It’s a weak comparison that minimizes the violence and societal hate directed at gay individuals around the globe. Unless you live in fear of being raped, tortured, and murdered (as do the men and women in the 77 countries that criminalize homosexuality), another comparison may be more appropriate.

• Mary says:

You are a traitor to your LGBTQPOC community, shame on you

• Howard Freeman says:

Thank you, Nukleopatra. And, great username!

61. 9d8b7988045e4953a882 says:

Thank you for speaking your mind and offering an alternative point of view. I too voted for Trump for his economic and national security policies.

62. EJ96 says:

Trump is literally recruiting fodder for ISIL so you were definitely wrong about him keeping your family safe from terrorism…

63. JustMe says:

Thanks for sharing! As a “closet” Trump supporter, it was refreshing to hear from someone that voted for him. And yes, time will tell, and we need to give him the opportunity to prove himself.

64. LL says:

My mother told me to register in whichever party’s PRIMARIES I wanted to vote in. Plain and simple. Nothing to do with person sense of identity. If you look at the record so far, the catastrophic military raid in Yemen and its aftermath, and the remarks by the new head of Homeland Security accepting responsibility for the chaotic roll-out of the Executive Order about people coming to the USA from certain countries. . . .these are not inspiring confidence here. . . .But I do understand how you feel and what you hope for!

65. Lulu says:

I don’t discuss religion or politics in polite company . I would love to have an intelligent, respectful argument without mudslinging, name calling and bullying but from my experience, that can’t happen with the ultra liberals that surround me and assume I am of like thinking and say horrible things within earshot of me daily. No respect for anyone’s opinion but their own and it’s obvious from reading these comments .

• UWSHebrew says:

Many liberals have a superiority complex and arrogance that is pathetic. That is partly why the violent protests in Berkley go unanswered, as some of them feel they are so correct in their thinking, violence is acceptable. Intolerant.

• Howard Freeman says:

Indeed, Lulu, it’s very hard to have a civil discussion about this election. I have had barbed words directed at me in small gatherings of people who ostensibly are friends.

66. Susan goldstein says:

Well Howard, now you have your president who is executing the Republican Party’s Agenda. How do you like the roll out? Happy?

• John says:

Susan,
        The roll out has been horrible because the Liberals are holding up cabinet positions something the Republicans did not do to Obama. Only the left wing Judge at the end of the administration was held up. The coast States are very different then the 37 other states that supported Trump. Folks in these states do not want a socialist government. In a Liberals dream the base tax rate would have to be about 70% to pay for open boarders and all the free stuff. You would have to get a second job to pay your rent.

• Howard Freeman says:

Actually, I have Trump, who is rolling out Trump’s agenda. The GOP was forced to go along because of fear of their constituencies’ backlash during the next mid-term.

67. Michael e. Gardener says:

1oth Step isn’t just about confessing your sins it’s self about self reflection.
      the problem with GUILT is that it seeks excused for behavior and doesn’t help with self forgiveness.
      I pray that as the spell is being lifted like a lost weekend of binge drinking that many more who voted for HIM Will come to realize how deep the hurt is and Will NOT “get over it” for very Important Reasons such as “there but for the Grace of God Go I” “Thank You for Sharing”

68. DTnomas says:

A privilege white male- voting for another privilege white male- shocking. Sad that many people can’t see pass their own life. If you voted for this guy- you are racist there is no two ways about it.

• UWSHebrew says:

Many Americans ignore you and others like you who call everything people do “racist”. It’s old, worn out. That and the nonsense term “white privilege”. You’re literally talking to yourself.

• Izzy says:

The “nonsense” term white privilege? Are you serious UWSHebrew? No, really, this is not a rhetorical question, ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

• UWSHebrew says:

Yes, I am serious. Nobody helped me achieve my place in life because of my race. NOBODY. My late father, after losing a 30 year career in advertising, became a JANITOR for a short while to pay the bills. After that, for a year, he worked in a Pizza joint. This was in the 1980’s. I despise the term “white privilege”. Pure nonsense from the radical left movement.

• Mark says:

Your story doesn’t actually address the concept of “white privilege”.
              Do you even understand what the concept means?

• keith says:

If you do honestly believe that male white privilege does not exist in our society then you have just answered the whole question as to why Donald Trump was elected our president.

If Hillary Clinton was a man she would have been elected. As soon as Donald Trump called her a “nasty woman” she lost the election. She was character defamed as being lying and dishonest woman. None of which despite millions and millions of dollars of investigation and focus could be substantially proven. It was predominantly a very effective character defamation strategy years in the making. Democrats were foolish not to see that. Many of us thought the Donald was so immoral that he would be clearly more unacceptable, but alas a nasty man is always more acceptable than a nasty woman.

She lost. He won.

I am fine with accepting that and accepting the fact that he was elected.

But please, do not try and sweep the fact that he is a misogynist, racist, and predator business man under the carpet.

If you want me to respect you for having an opinion at least own up to the type of individual you elected and stop trying to tell me he is something different than what he has clearly indicated he is.

• Howard Freeman says:

I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate how you’ve weighed in here. This is my first comment in the Comment section, because I didn’t want to get into an argument with anyone — which, sadly, I did on the FB page of WSR — I wanted to let the article say as much as 400 words could, and then let everyone have at it. But I appreciate your carrying the load here. What’s your first name, so I can thank you by name? Feel free to friend me on FB.

• Thomas Falconer says:

You don’t get to tell African Americans that racism is over. You don’t get to tell lgbtqs that homophobia is over. We don’t get to tell you that there is no such thing as anti-semiticism. Your comment is disgusting.

• UWSHebrew says:

I did not say racism is over. What I said was “white privilege” is nonsense. Which it is. African-Americans who stay in school and work hard have more opportunities for advancement than anyone else today in this country. I did not comment about gays. I did not bring up anti-semitism, but you sure did, and quick. I guess any Jew (me), who disagrees with you and does not fully embrace the liberal-college teachings that heterosexual white men are evil and are to be blamed for everything, your blood boils over and you bring out the anti-semitism card. Lovely.

• UWS_lifer says:

I have a serious question for you UWSHebrew if you don’t mind and you are telling us so much about yourself.

Are you a “Messianic Jew”? I’m just curious because your political leanings sort of suggest it and would explain a lot. Not many Jews in America would identify as “Hebrew” per se. It is sort of unusual. And as they say there is no zealot like a convert.:)

• UWSHebrew says:

That is just about the worst thing that you could say to me. No, no, a thousand times no, I am not a Messianic Jew. Your observations and assumptions about me are completely incorrect. I have deep ties to my heritage, my faith, and this country. My maternal grandmother survived four and a half years of slave labor and concentration camps (she was from Poland). My fathers side of the family has been American since about 1910, and two of my four great uncles on that side of the family who served in the American Armed Forces during WWII never made it back (both killed fighting the Japanese). People who spit on, trample, and burn the American flag are misguided at best, traitors at worst.

• Paul RL says:

@STnomas, do you really believe that everyone who voted for Trump are the things that you accuse them of? No, seriously, I mean REALLY believe it? Because your logic suggests that any privileged white woman who voted for Hillary is also a racist and a classist. Oh, and also a man-hater, because you know, because she’s a woman. Sheeeesh!

69. Christine says:

I agree with you that past performance is an indicator of future success. Trump ran his businesses into bankruptcy. That is not an indicator of success.

As for safety, all Trump is doing is making hate and fear grow. That does not bode well for any of us. That is when we are the least safe.

For the record, I’m an independent too and stand for a lot. I vote for candidates in both parties based on who I believe will do the best job. But I also factor in human decency because I believe only someone who actually cares about people will be able to work for the people. Trump cares about himself. He is not a decent human being.

70. Scott says:

This is why we can’t have nice things…

71. Unsurprised says:

I’m loathe to even bother commenting on this, since this sort of attention is exactly what a diva like Freeman craves. What a great lesson and example for Howard to provide for his sons. What his vote essentially communicates to them is that it’s okay to rationalize a vote for a man who brags about sexually assaulting women, mocks people with physical handicaps, and discriminates against people on the basis of their religion, race, and/or ethnicity. He’s doing this for the attention, and seeing as he hasn’t had the courage to respond to any of the comments on this thread, he is no doubt basking in the joy of his success.

• UWS_lifer says:

Ya know, I hadn’t thought about it like that but I think you may have convinced me.

I think you are absolutely right. As are many of these comments who are critical of Mr. Freeman’s thought process and rationalizations for his vote. Very short sighted and narrow minded for sure. But…

Where are the responses? I mean, not to EVERYTHING, but some? why not? I don’t think our good Mr. Freeman really thought this out and is now regretful and ashamed. Or, as you suggested, maybe this is what was intended.

I’ve never seen over a hundred comments on an article here before. oh well….anyway, have a nice night everyone!:)

• Howard Freeman says:

To you and to “Unsurprised,” neither of whose real names I know, as you know mine, here’s my warm greeting.

I did spend quite a bit of time today calling out someone’s libel against me over on Facebook, but unlike many in the city today, I had to work (and also attend my AA meeting), so i couldn’t be as active. I told myself I wouldn’t comment at all–that I would let the article stand–but when Mike Veve libeled me on Facebook, I had to weigh in. Calling me names here and over there doesn’t bother me; it’s laughable. Casting aspersions on my motives bothers me a bit more but I’ll forget about that after I sleep peacefully tonight. (WSR asked me to write the piece, not the other way around.) But when people comment on my family, as was done on FB and a little here, the gloves come off.

• Howard Freeman says:

See directly below, with UWS_Lifer.

72. Marion Meyer says:

Dear Mr Freeman,
      I appreciate your courage and forthrightness in speaking up about your support of Trump. One major thing I think you missed is that actions speak louder than words. Hillary Clinton has devoted most of her life from her college years on to public service. Trump has devoted much of his life to the accumulation of money. His 27 bankruptcies have destroyed many small businesses and hurt many small contractors. His foundation funded no “good works” that I know of. So I cannot understand what makes you think he will be a job creator. I noted recently that 7.7 million jobs were created during Obama’s second term (227,000 in Jan 2017), and that Trump was touting the approx 800 jobs he saved at Carrier. I sincerely hope you are right about things improving for poor Americans. In the meantime, keep up the good work helping at-risk teens. (I volunteer with a wonderful group that helps children with reading and writing in under-served schools).

73. Sophia says:

I voted for Mrs. Clinton, but truly wished I had the choice to support a wise philosopher king.

74. Thomas Falconer says:

So you choose to ignore his talk about grabbing pussy. You ignored his mocking a disabled man. You ignored his Overt racism . His exhortations to violence. You voted for a candidate who the KKK endorsed. You listened to him say that Putin will never go into Crimea. You chose not to care that he refused to release his taxes. You chose not to care that he lied almost every single day of the campaign. You chose to ignore the facts of his disregard for “poor people.” You chose to ignore his misogyny. You chose to ignore the fact that his VP hates LGBTQs and believes in conversion therapy. Nice going. You’ve done for a candidate endorsed by the KKK. tell that to your kids.

• Howard Freeman says:

No, Thomas. I cared to varying degrees about all of what you listed. I simply cared more about the reasons I did vote for him.

75. Doris says:

So his putting all billionaires in the cabinet, and then insulting and spewing hatred toward all the Muslims who did not hate us, but were also victims is going to help jobs and make us safer? It seems he has gone to extremes to bring about the opposite of what this guy thinks he is going to do.

• UWSHebrew says:

Please provide one instance where Trump engaged in “spewing hatred toward all the Muslims who did not hate us”. You can’t. If you interpret his ban from seven Muslim countries that have no functioning government (and thereby, no way of providing valid identification for it’s citizens), as “spewing hatred”, then you need to re-evaluate your perception versus reality.

76. Laura says:

Great article Howard. See you soon on Periscope 🙂

77. Michael Reese says:

Hmm…Not sure you’re making any sense to me.

78. Pennell Somsen says:

I find the Independent thing confusing. I am a registered Democrat which means I can vote in the primary. As for the general election no one tells me for whom to vote. I am puzzled by why you thought Trump was more qualified than Hillary who has actual experience in government. Trump has a history of bankruptcies which he manages to emerge from still living like a rich man. I’m not sure how that qualifies him as competent to run the country. I hope you are right about Trump fostering economic growth. I see no evidence of it so far. As for being concerned about terrorism, statistically we really are more at risk from domestic terrorists who now seem to feel they have a license to act out their racism. I, for one, do not feel safer under Trump. His lack of control and unwillingness to surround himself with experienced people in my opinion makes us for vulnerable. If his history of his businesses is a predictor of what he will do for the economy then I think it’s likely that whatever he does will benefit Donald Trump most of all.
      I’d also like you to take a look at the fact that you deemed Bill Clinton, a white guy, to be competent, but not a black man, nor a white woman. There could be many reasons for you making those decisions but in the case of Hillary and Trump watching the debates could tell you that she was much more prepared to run the country.

• Howard Freeman says:

We’ve had exactly one black man run and one white woman and, you’re correct, I thought neither was qualified for POTUS. I also thought Sarah Palin wasn’t qualified to be a “heartbeat away,” and she’s white. Before I supported Trump, I supported Carly Fiorina, a white woman. I would have voted for Colin Powell, a black man, for POTUS.

The Independent mention, while true, was a joke. But, like my wife says: she’s funny on purpose, but I’m funny only on accident.