THROWBACK THURSDAY: DON’T PRETEND YOU DON’T LOVE THE 80’S

Remember the olden days, when young men wore tight shorts, old ones wore hats, and everyone read actual physical newspapers? Here are some more great 80’s-era images of the Upper West Side from Stephen Harmon.

desktop571 desktop580 desktop579 desktop556 desktop558 desktop567 desktop572 desktop576 desktop578

See more from Stephen here.

HISTORY | 19 comments | permalink
    1. dannyboy says:

wait a second

…i wear hats!

That woman with the red sweater looks like she’s enjoying herself. Nice

2. Jan says:

So nice to see, thanks!

3. Leon says:

Great pics – thanks! Where was the Kentucky Fried Chicken?

• Sue says:

I lived above a KFC on 72nd between Columbus and Amsterdam. ((North side)

I think this is the one. It was fine except when their anti-chicken smell fan broke. But that only happened when I had guests.

It broke so often they got a new fan. No smell, but
        It sounded like a jackhammer. And the whole building shook.

FYI there are different phone numbers for different complaints. I had to call one number for odors, one for noise, and a 3rd for
        “feels like an earthquake 24/7”

This may have predated 311.

I don’t live there anymore. Nor does the colonel. But I suspect with 311 it may be one stop complaining.

4. Colonel says:

I wish we still had a KFC here.

5. Bill says:

Ah and WKTU was on the radio……

6. Nelson says:

A reminder that, as unimaginable as it may seem, these are “the good old days” for today’s youth!

7. lyla says:

Great photos!

8. Mark says:

What a nice city it was before DeBlasio took over.

• HelenD says:

While I appreciate the photography, what I see is a hell of a lot of litter and cracked sidewalks, a senior with her legs wrapped in Ace Bandages, a homeless person, and the lady in red is selling jewelry on the sidewalk. All things that we’re still complaining about on this site.

• WestEndWendy says:

I’m not complaining about that thigh meat.
          And we all know I mean the skater, not the KFC variety 🙂

• Howard Freeman says:

Not since HizHonor’s time have we seen socks like that. Not, at least, in public view. Love those socks.

• ScooterStan says:

Re: “What a nice city it was before DeBlasio took over.”

Really? Not if you were one who participated in the 12 years of Bloomberg-Bashing and who insisted that the self-made billionaire mayor was the worst thing to ever happen to this city.

And then these anti-Bloomberg types swooned over deBlasio’s cleverly-constructed campaign (income inequality, bi-racial children, etc. etc. et-ceterahhhh) and elected as mayor of the most complex U.S. city a “do-gooder” who had never held an elected position and is, though a capable mayor, certainly a most uninspiring one.

Now, of course, these faux-populists are again disenchanted with their choice and spend their time blaming their former Superhero for everything that offends their delicate sensibilities, denying that NYC still is, and always was, nice.

9. VickyZ says:

Loved the 80s. So much fun esp the roller disco stuff.

10. Lucien says:

Great photos. I like the haze effect with the photo of the man in front of the pastry shop.

The roller skating in that portion of Central Park still occurs and with the same music on Saturdays (or is it Sundays?)

11. jezbel says:

I moved to the UWS right after college (in Philly)and celebrated my first Christmas as a grown-up by buying all my decorations at the Woolworths at about 90th St on Broadway. I love that old store. It still had counter service where they had the best soup & sandwich deal in town. I bought my sewing basket there an filled it was thread & needles which I still have 40 years later. The Library restaurant was just up the street. And Mikell’s at about 99th & B’way with a house band called “Stuff”. They were the first SNL band and they were A-Mazing. Those were the days. Music everywhere and interesting neighbors. Love it here still.

12. jerseyboy says:

Interesting how the prices for fans were in the same ballpark as nowadays. Thanks China!

• dannyboy says:

But if the fans are manufactured in China then US workers don’t make any money from the fans.