A 370-foot pier over the Hudson River that’s been deteriorating for years and was fully wrecked by Hurricane Sandy was reopened to the public this week. The reconstructed “A-dock” at 79th Street will give people a new place to walk out into the Hudson, as well as access to a floating kayak launch and sailboat mooring field. And within the next two weeks, they’re expecting to put picnic tables on it too, the parks department tells us.
The reconstruction cost $6 million, funded by FEMA and the mayor’s office; it came in under budget, according to the city.
“For the A-Dock reconstruction, all wooden pilings were replaced with concrete-filled steel pilings; wooden piling caps and stringers were replaced with concrete and fiberglass respectively. Additionally, a new timber wave screen was installed along the complete northern and eastern stretch. And, new timber decking was installed along with new railings, gates, lights and, power and water pedestals for boats, bike racks and seating.”
The city expects to have “floating classrooms” there, and provide docking space for historic sailing boats to visit.
The dock was first built in 1937 under Robert Moses, using funds from the WPA.
Photos via NYC Parks Department/Malcolm Pinckney.