This month, we have lots of new Upper West Side businesses to talk about, including new restaurants serving everything from pizza, to beer and pickles, meat, milkshakes, and cupcakes — and even vegan food for you good people. And we bid a fond farewell to some other businesses, including some well-liked Korean delis, and at least one deeply disliked bar. The numbers below correspond to numbers on the interactive map above.
2. Imperial Pizza: A new pizza joint has opened on Columbus between 104th and 105th Street. Thanks to Peter Arndtsen for the tip.
3. Second Time Around: A second-hand clothing store opened up in the space of the former clothing store Rootchi on 99th Street and Broadway. The company’s downtown store has been featured on the Bravo show Fashion Hunters.
4. Westside Market: A new grocery store is opening in the former location of a Duane Reade on Broadway between 97th and 98th Streets.
5. Golden Boy Mart: The Korean grocer, which had been around for more than 30 years on 98th and Broadway, recently closed down. A neighboring business owner said the owners couldn’t keep up with the rent. See our piece on the decline of Upper West Side Korean delis.
6. Rite Aid: The drug store on Broadway and 96th Street has closed. Thanks to Anya for the tip.
7. Pink Kitty Nail & Spa: The salon and spa on 95th and Amsterdam is closed, says our tipster, Daren.
8. Eretz Kosher Market and Cafe: The schnitzel specialists on Columbus and 94th have closed.
9. Elizabeth’s Neighborhood Table: First it was Roth’s Steakhouse. Then it became The Corner. Now, the newest restaurant setting up shop on the corner of 93rd Street and Columbus Avenue is called Elizabeth’s. It will serve salads, burgers and other inexpensive American fare, says our pal Daren, who got a peek at the menu. And perhaps, it will escape the fate of its predecessors.
10. Capital One: The branch on the corner of 91st and Broadway closed and consolidated with a Capital One on 87th and Broadway. Are banks suddenly realizing that they’ve maybe opened few too many branches on the Upper West Side?
11. Machiavelli: Feast on “Meat for Two” at this new Italian spot with gorgeous medieval-style art on the walls on 85th and Columbus. It’s getting good yelp reviews.
12. Baked by Melissa: A new mini-cupcake shop opened last week on Broadway between 84th and 85th Streets. (Here’s the Baked by Melissa facebook page).
13. Primo Pizza 84: A new pizza shop is open on 84th Street between Columbus Avenue and Central Park West. All 4 Yelpers say they are awesome, (including one who goes so far as to say “omg-YUMMMM”) although they could all be related to the owner.
14. Magic Smile: You’ll have to whiten your teeth elsewhere, friends. The spot on 80th and Broadway next to what used to be H&H Bagels has closed, although the Bleecker Street location remains open. They say they’re looking for a bigger space in the neighborhood.
15. Island Burgers & Shakes: This small joint with a “retro vibe” on 80th and Amsterdam serves chicken churasco, burgers, shakes, and more. It opened last month.
16. 420 Bar and Lounge: There are nuisances and then there are nuisances. Apparently, 420 was both, if that’s possible. Just a day or so after the city closed the bar for “operating without a permit,” the landlord had put up a for-rent sign. Thanks to tipster David Janet. (On the map above, it’s actually hidden behind Island Burgers and Fries.)
17. Jacob’s Pickles: A Southern-style bistro advertising “Beer, Biscuits and Pickles,” is close to opening at 85th Street and Amsterdam Avenue. Thanks to Daren for the tip.
19. Polarn O. Pyret: “Hej.” That’s how you say hello in Swedish. Say “hej” to a new eco-friendly kids clothing store on Columbus and 81st Street.
20. West Lake Palace: This all-you-can-drink Chinese restaurant on 81st and Amsterdam appears to have closed for good, after claiming for months that it was renovating and would reopen in August. The phone remains “temporarily” disconnected. Thanks to Gavan for the tip.
21. Geisha/Serafina: A new restaurant — half of it devoted to sushi and half devoted to Italian food will be opneing on the corner of 77th and Broadway this winter.
23. Classic Kids Photography: A new black and white photo studio is opening in the old space of Ottomanelli’s.
24. Pecan Cafe: A new cafe is close to opening on the desolate Amsterdam Avenue block between 78th and 79th Streets. We talked to the owner last month and he said that the place will have about 30 seats and serve salads and paninis, as well as coffee drinks.
25. Farrow & Ball: A paint store is coming to Columbus Avenue between 75th and 76th Streets.
26. Eyebrow Threading: A salon is opening where adult goodies (sex!) shop Amsterdam Video used to be on Amsterdam between 73rd and 74th.
27. Sushi Yasaka: The former home of Momiji Sushi on 72nd street between West End Avenue and Broadway is now occupied by a new Japanese restaurant that opened about a week ago. They also do takeout and say they have non-Japanese Asian specialties.
28. Ricky’s Pop-Up Shop: Get freaky at this pop-up shop until Halloween, when it will once again be a sad and empty former TD Ameritrade.
29. Dakota Bar: One of the former owners of the Wine & Roses Bar on 74th Street is opening a new place in the former Earthen Oven spot on the corner of 72nd and Columbus.
30. Cafe Tallulah: Finally we get some details on this upcoming two-level cocktail lounge on 71st and Columbus.
31. Blossom Du Jour: A vegan “fast food” spot has opened at 68th and Amsterdam Avenue. Mention “Dairy-free Fridays” on Friday and get 10% off.
32. Great Farm: The Korean grocer closed after decades on the corner of 68th and Columbus.
33. Eddie’s Pizza Cart: The award-winning cart has set up shop on 66th Street in Richard Tucker Square. They have a whole pizza oven in the truck!
34. Sushi A Go-Go: David Ruggiero’s sushi spot near Lincoln Center was closed by the taxman a few weeks ago. Presumably it could reopen eventually.
35. Loi: The reincarnation of the restaurant Compass on West 70th Street is now open, helmed by Greek chef Maria Loi. Check out the menu here.