This month, we have plenty of openings and closings to report, but first, a moment of silence for H&H Bagels… Okay, now that that’s over with, let’s talk new wine bars, shirt shops, food markets, luggage stores, and doggie and human pampering businesses. As for closings: tea, pizza and makeup stores had a rough month. Please send tips and photos of any openings and closings you see to info at westsiderag dot com.
1. Il Cibreo – Chef Ryan Skeen is running an Italian restaurant in the old spot of Campo at 2888 Broadway on 112th Street.
2. Cascabel – A Mexican restaurant is opening at 2799 Broadway on 108th.
3. Westside Market – The company signed a lease for another grocery store on 97th and Broadway.
4. Wild Bird Rehab Center – The Wild Bird Fund is opening a rehab center for hurt little birds on 87th and Columbus.
5. Tale Thai – A new Thai restaurant just opened on on 84th Street and Columbus Avenue. Yelpers seem to like it so far: “The Shrimp-Chicken Dumplings’ firm but supple noodle casings give way to juicy and savory filling.” (My Upper West)
6. H&H Bagels – The famous bagel shop at 80th and Broadway is closing. Instant existential crisis on the Upper West Side.
7. Tumi – The fancy luggage company is opening a new location on the ground floor of the Apthorp on 79th Street. (The Real Deal)
8. New Pizza Town – The pizza joint on 78th Street is closed.
9. TeaGSchwendner – The Chicago-based tea store appears to be closed, although the sign says it’s renovating. An employee at the Chicago store said he does not expect the store to reopen.
10. Fratelli la Bufala – An authentic Neapolitan brick-oven restaurant will open this fall in the former spot of Niko’s on 76th.
11. Duane Reade – The Laureate will be getting a two-story Duane Reade come August.
12. Alexander West – The custom shirt-maker opened a store inside Therapie on 74th and Columbus. (CultureShoq)
13. Screme Gelato Cart – The Israeli gelato shop will be rolling a cart into Verdi Square this summer. (DNAinfo)
15. Lancôme – The makeup shop on 69th and Columbus closed abruptly at the end of May; they told the staff they were closing the day before. (Racked)
16. Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center – The Film Society for Lincoln Center officially opened its new building earlier this month on the South side of 65th Street.
17. Salon by Stephanie Xu – A new salon is expected to open on 60th Street.
18. Pawsitively Love – A pet store that also offers grooming is opening on 60th Street.
19. The Center – Michael Lomanaco, of Porter House, will open a new wine bar in the Time Warner Center in October. (Grub Street)
Check out last month’s list of openings and closings too, and remember to send in tips!