The benefits of a truly engaging summer camp stretch far beyond making friends and having fun. Kids in the Game’s summer camps–comprising seven locations across New York City–create spaces for children to continue learning and growing even during the summer months when academic and social opportunities stall. So what are children getting from camp if not just fun and friends? Let’s explore!
1. Independence & Self Eseem: Our summer camp program is carefully curated to keep kids active and engaged all day long. This extended day away from home and school allows children to break from their usual structures and routines and explore independence in a safe and nurturing environment. This ultimately allows children the freedom and initiative to make their own choices, learn how to use their voice outside of parental and school settings, and build a positive sense of self.
2. Teamwork & Community: Daily group activities promote teamwork, a driving component of how we run our camps. Group interactions and team-based activities allow children to practice community and learn the importance of collaborating with others and contributing to something larger than themselves.
3. Physical Dexterity: Running, jumping, dancing and swimming all promote great cardiovascular health. Our campers participate in daily sports and activities which provide opportunities for them to develop and tune their gross and fine motor skills.
4. Break from Devices: Time spent outdoors and away from electronics is crucial for social and behavioral development. With use of electronics, video games, and social media on the rise, children are plugging in at an earlier age than ever. These valuable hours away from electronics keeps kids active, helps them develop new skills, reduces eye and mental strain, and increases overall engagement with peers. As a bonus, the extra sunshine and time outdoors results in an increased production of serotonin, the body’s natural mood booster–a happy child means a happy parent!
5. Bridging the Summer Break Gap: The way children approach the transition back to school can have years of lasting effects on their academic and personal development. That’s why keeping kids engaged and socialized during the summer creates an easier transition into a new school or grade and sets children up for academic success.
We take the guesswork out of child-engagement–leave the planning to us and we promise to make this summer one your child will always remember. Registration is open and spaces are available, sign up today to see what a KING summer looks like!
More on Kids in the Game
Kids in the Game has been running summer camp since 2013, with locations in Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Inwood, East Village, Park Slope, Greenpoint and Riverdale. Our strong community partnerships, high-quality staff and action-packed programming provides a safe, fun and nurturing environment for children to learn, grow and be happy, all summer long. Activities include:
☀️ Creative movement
☀️ Recess style games
☀️ Field Trips
☀️ Theme Weeks
Ages: 3.5 to 13 (Pre-K to Grade 8)
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:15am – 5:30pm*
*early drop-off, day camp and after care available