By Lisa Kava
On Sat Feb 12, a neighborhood resident was walking her dog in Riverside Park when she noticed what appeared to be green blocks of exposed rat poison along the inside wall of the park between 83rd and 85th Streets. She posted the following in the Upper West Side Together Facebook group with the above photo.
“PSA for dog owners:
Riverside Park: there looks to be many, many chunks of green rat poison strewn along the Riverside Drive wall inside the park from around 83rd to 85th street. I walk my dog there on-leash but I know in mornings many dogs are off-leash there.”
Rat poison is extremely dangerous to dogs and requires immediate medical attention if ingested.
West Side Rag reached out to the Parks Department, Riverside Park Conservancy, and Council Member Gale Brewer’s office. We received the following response from the Parks Department:
“This rat poison was not placed by Parks. Our crews are investigating and will remove any exposed rat poison that they find.”
This story will be updated when we have more information.
Update: On Monday February 14th, the Parks Department wrote to WSR in an email: “Our crews inspected and cleaned the site yesterday. We do not know who placed the bricks there, but we will continue to monitor.”