Openings & Closings: The Boilery, Cafe Metro, T-Mobile, Broadway Spa, Super Tacos Returns?

Fish tacos at The Boilery. Photo by Hector F.

A new seafood restaurant called The Boilery just had its soft open on Monday at 710 Amsterdam between 94th and 95th Streets. It’s got a wide array of seafood and some grilled specialties for non-seafood lovers. Hector F. went on the first night and sent in this report: “Enjoyed their catch of the day: succulent lobster tails served inside a seafood boil bag, potato slices and corn on the cob all bathed in simmering spices of garlic, lemon, and old bay seasoning. Fish tacos and blue point oysters were also pretty good.” See the menu here. The shrimp cocktail promises to be “extra colossal” and goes for $14. There’s also clams, mussels, snow crab legs and more.

Cafe Metro is opening in the former home of Tasty Cafe at 160 West 71st Street, according to someone who lives in the building.

T-Mobile appears to be opening in the former of Dan Japanese restaurant at 69th and Broadway. Tipster Dan noticed several boxes marked T-Mobile and the company’s signature pink branding on the walls.

Something is once again opening on the corner of 96th Street and West End Avenue, the mysterious spot where a beloved deli once stood. Restaurants have seemed to open and close in that spot in a matter of days. It’s not yet clear if it will be the return of Super Taco (which sounds like a comic book name!) or another restaurant. Stay tuned! Thanks to Paul for the tip.

Apple Seeds children’s play space may have closed its location at 200 West End Avenue (69th-70th). But they will continue offering their Songs for Seeds program on the Upper West Side at West Side Collegiate Church on 77th Street and West End. “Starting the week of May 6th, Songs for Seeds will be relocating to this gorgeous location with classes being offered on Tuesdays & Thursdays at 9:30am, 10:30am & 11:30am.”

Broadway Spa is opening on Broadway between 81st and 82nd Streets. Thanks to Lauren for the tip.

FOOD, NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 29 comments | permalink
    1. Gimme Abreak says:

OH THANK GOD ANOTHER T-MOBILE

2. Debbie says:

TMOBILE, the LAST thing the neighborhood needs!

• Sean says:

At least it’s not another copy shop.

• Upperwestsidewally says:

Look at the abundance of UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL trucks in the neighborhood and you will know why Broadway will become a row of Phone Stores, spas and nail salons. We have only ourselves to blame.

3. j says:

Increasingly curious about the proliferation of nail wax spa places. On some blocks, there are multiple places.

Money laundering?

4. Juan says:

Broadway Spa is in the old McDonald’s location. I think that has been empty for over five years. A spa is not at the top of my list of things this neighborhood needs but I will gladly take it over an empty storefront and I wish the owners the best of luck.

5. UWSider says:

Let us all hope for a return of Super Taco. Their truck on 96th and Broadway is the best and wishing them luck if true.

• dannyboy says:

I’m hoping along with you. One hurdle is that intersection is awfully dangerous. Of course when I met with Helen Rosenthal there to point that out, she deflected by saying that she relies on the DOT in safety matters. I let her know that that was not representing her constituency.

6. wombatNYC says:

I miss Dan Japanese

7. Judy says:

I am thrilled that Cafe Metro will come to the neighborhood. I have been so sad since Tasty and Gigi went out of business.

8. MQue says:

I prey Super taco will deliver

• Mark Moore says:

The truck does deliver I believe, though I haven’t ordered from there in a while.

9. sharon says:

Sadly, the Starbucks on 99th and Broadway is closing too. The employees said it was due to a large rent increase.

• Glen says:

If Starbucks can’t make the rent, who does the LL think can?! Now another empty storefront on Broadway.

• Sue says:

I walked from 72nd to 114th today – noticed SO MANY empty store fronts!!! Saw the For Rent sign in the Starbucks.

I did go to 2 CVSs looking for my cereal which is on sale but none of them had.

10. Tracey says:

Money laundering is a good guess for all of the new nail salons/spas that are opening. The proliferation of these establishments makes me wonder if they’re not fronts for illegal massage parlors.

• dannyboy says:

Money laundering is a good guess for all of the new nail salons/spas that are opening.”

That is some unfounded accusation to hurl!

“The proliferation of these establishments makes me wonder if they’re not fronts for illegal massage parlors.”

You topped even yourself with this! Are all Italian restaurants Mafia fronts; all Muslim business ISIS fronts? Where does this stop?

11. Mark Moore says:

That block where the Boilery is has some nice restaurants now, with the new Mexican place opening plus Pio Pio and Ayurveda.

12. Glen says:

I am not sure the Boilery in such an observant neighborhood is the best investment. All of what it sells is traif and from day one is off limits to a significant chunk of the neighborhood population.

• dannyboy says:

Glen, our neighborhood is diverse. To limit it to Jewish/ Kosher restaurants is narrow minded.

According to the article, “A new seafood restaurant called The Boilery just had its soft open on Monday at 710 Amsterdam between 94th and 95th Streets.”

Do you really see only Jews there?

13. Kaiser says:

I heard it’s a T-Mobile / Nail Salon / Bank…. all in one!

14. Nancy Stein says:

Just what the neighborhood needs another SPA in addition to all the new nail salons opening you will only have to walk a block to either get a mani/pedi or massage and foot rub.

15. Susan says:

I second the motion for the friendly guys at Global Copy — no job too small to get a smile.