Openings & Closings: Mama’s Too, Burrito Mariachi, W 96 Deli, Smith + Morgan Salon, Sookk

Italian restaurant Mama’s Too is now open on Broadway between 105th and 106th Street. “Family run, Frank told me that his grandmother used to have MAMA’S further down on Broadway years ago. The space (for takeout or simple meals along a wall or window rail on a (very comfortable) stool has the original copper ceiling (beautifully restored!), lovely tile floor, and you can see the back window and we can look forward to the “garage door” front window being open in warm weather. The person I went with and I tried slices. Delicious! They also do salad and soup and more.” Thanks to Pamela Cruz for the tip and photo.

Burrito Mariachi just opened at 146 West 72nd Street, the former home of Taco Grill. Here’s the menu for their downtown location.

W 96 Deli is opening in the former Millennium Deli on Broadway and 96th, says Emily. “They appear to plan on being open for breakfast lunch and dinner, serving sandwiches and coffee, though no opening date has been announced in the windows. Still pretty messy inside and the windows have paper in them.”

A new store is going into the old Danskin on the northeast corner of 82nd Street and Broadway. There appear to be some elaborate pipes in the window. As our tipster Nancy wrote: “Before the paper went up I thought there were glass refrigerator cases so I thought it might be a convenience store or florist. Maybe they’ll carry food, flowers and bongs… : )”

Smith + Morgan Salon opened last month on 80th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam. “We’re a brand new full service hair salon,” said the manager, Richard. “Our team of creative and dynamic stylist offer color, cuts, hair treatments, makeup and updos.”

A new dentist’s office is coming to Amsterdam Avenue between 97th and 98th, where Little Creatures used to be, says Naomi.

Thai restaurant Sookk at 2686 Broadway (103rd) apparently closed at least a month ago. Thanks to Tsadik Kaplan for the photo.

FOOD, NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 19 comments | permalink
    1. Cozmocharlie says:

My (long time!) hair stylist just started at Smith + Morgan and it’s actually a very sweet open/airy space, albeit in the basement.
      It’s a little hard to find but the address is 205 W. 80th (down a few steps). Congrats on the nice new space and new business in the neighborhood!

2. Samantha says:

Sookk is a real loss. Their food was outstanding. It’s so hard for businesses to stay afloat these days.

• Marie In NYC says:

I got severe food poisoning at Sookk. I was in bed for 4 days, and missed Christmas and a Broadway show last year as a result. I hope it’s closed forever, they basically deserve to be out of business for selling rancid food. Shame on them.

• Griff says:

Their food was horrible, they’ve been on a steady decline over the past year or so. I used to love them, but with the constant barrage of bad grades from the health dept and their lack of caring, I can’t say I’m sorry to see them go.

• EM says:

Sookk food was good but the customer service was just awful. Impossible to do lunch there in less than an hour. They’ll be missed, but when Thai food takes like 5 minutes to make but 45 minutes to come out, something is wrong.

• Laura says:

Agreed!! We used to also go to Sura but loved Sookk. Very unfortunate.

• UWSHebrew says:

The food quality of Sook went rapidly downhill in the past two years. Rude hostess too. Look at recent Yelp reviews for confirmation.

• Jess says:

I’ve been living in the neighborhood for 9 years. The first 5-6 years I lived here, I ordered from Sookk all the time.
        It was outstanding. It’s totally gone down hill recently and fluctuated between having a C grade and having a pending grade. It’s about time they closed based on how they were doing.

• fransoyer says:

Sookk was real good

3. Sweet Polly Prebread says:

It’s a hookah not a bong

4. Sammie@lynn says:

How long ago was there a Taco Grill on 72nd? I’ve only been here a few years but I don’t remember seeing one. I’ve been looking for a decent Mexican food place in the neighborhood.

5. Stuart says:

So happy to have Burrito Mariachi in the neighborhood. The menu appears to be similar to the old Taco Grill menu, which is good for people of limited taste and budget, like me.

6. wombatNYC says:

Did Millennium really need to be replaced by a same old / same old deli on 96th? – I miss the Nougat pieces at the register and the randomness that was Millennium

7. Tom D. says:

Sookk has been closed for more like 2-3 months. Last Yelp review was on 9/24. I thought they got dinged hard by the Health Dept and never re-opened, but a comment on Yelp suggests they were operating without a permit. Wasn’t there something here on WSR about this.

Isn’t Mama’s Too connected with the Mama’s Pizza at the corner of Amsterdam and 106? Logo graphics are substantially the same.

8. Tatiana H says:

I’m really sad to hear about Sookk closing. They were one of my favorite Thai restaurants in the area.

9. Carmen says:

The Danskin store was not on the corner of 81/Bway. It was Liberty Travel for decades, and then became a shoe store, Geo X, I think. That also shuttered recently. Will have to walk by in the next day or so to see what’s really happening on that block.

10. West Siders who miss Joon and other mom and pops that
      have closed because of absurd rent hikes must beware the
      liquor serving establishments that may move in to those empty spaces. Bars can pay astronomical rents that fish stores can’t. If you want to keep out hordes of bars speak up when you attend your Community Board meetings.

11. wombatNYC says: