ANOTHER SIGN THAT TARGET MAY BE COMING TO THE UWS

We’ve been hearing rumors about a Target coming to the Upper West Side, most recently to the former home of Loehmann’s in the Ansonia on Broadway between 73rd and 74th Streets.

But now there’s a new twist: a series of plans with the Target logo were left inside the former home of Gracious Home on 67th and Broadway. “The smaller set of drawings look to be the first floor plan with the existing escalators going down to the basement,” our tipster wrote.

The company did not respond to a request for comment, and has also not responded to questions about the Ansonia space.

NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 36 comments | permalink
    1. jd says:

I don’t think that space is big enough for a Target.

2. jor says:

Might as well.UWS has become on suburban strip mall. And that’s what the new residents want. Let ’em have it.

• MHV says:

I could not agree with you more.

• West88 says:

Gracious Home charged insane prices for basic items and took advantage that they were the only game in town until Bed Bath arrived. Lohemans was a discount store that UWSiders didn’t shop at despite it also being a “surburban strip mall” shop. There’s a place for both mom and pop and traditional chains. We live in NYC, not some isolated bubble town where shops from the 60s 70s and 80s still reign.

• Ish Kabibble says:

“Lohemans was a discount store that UWSiders didn’t shop at….”

Not sure where you got that from. Lohemans was crowded every time I was in there.

• Paul says:

Gracious Home was the epitome of overpricing.

I always thought that a good slogan for them would have been “We will not be oversold!”

• Sooz says:

Note to you:
          In case you haven’t noticed Mom and Pop shops are quite rapidly disappearing completely. There clearly is no room for both. Rents are so high that only huge corporations can afford them. Even one of the busiest Starbucks in Manhattan, on 67th and B’way shut down when they raised their rent to $140,000 per month.
          This is not fair game. It’s difficult to even get a quart of milk, a deli sandwich or a newspaper in parts of Columbus Ave now.
          The small neighborhood shops and connections made with the owners/workers and the character of small businesses was a part of UWS living.
          Just out of curiosity… how long have you lived here on the UWS?

• Via Ventana says:

Correct. The neighborhood–formerly full of artists of all kinds, as well as Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Haitians, etc.–now is accessible only to rich white folks. What a total bore.

• BillyNYC says:

Exactly ! This is the new wave and let it be. In the next five years you going to see major outlets open up here on the upper West side of brand stores. It won’t be as big as there larger stores but you will have the leisure of ordering from there.com and picking it up at their smaller Urban “outlet” stores here in the city at no charge.

3. Bob says:

very interesting… I live right by there. interesting choice for the neighborhood. If they have late hours I think I’d be a fan.

4. Lee Smalley says:

If at the Gracious Home location it should be called Targette.

5. bobbo says:

sephoria going into broadway 73-74 ansonia big space. will they close bdwy 76 spot

6. Andrea says:

There is a huge Sephora sign on the old Loehman’s space.

7. yankeefrankee says:

i’d be happy not to have to schlep to Brooklyn or the far East Side… : )

8. CR says:

I wonder if the Gap’s lease is up or being bought out … perhaps the landlord will combine with the Gracious Home space to make room for Target. This will be a good thing … still missing Woolworth.

• Cat says:

I’m looking forward to Target but why would the GAP be losing their lease? Isn’t the regular GAP and Baby/Kids GAP in the same store. Can’t imagine that they don’t bring in enough to pay the rent.

9. pickle says:

Too good to be true! What a dream that would be! I have lived in the neighborhood for 13 years and I feel this would be a welcome addition to the neighborhood.
      Thanks for the rumor, Rag!

10. Gretchen Berger says:

Great news – we need some good retail and not just endless empty storefronts on the UWS. Guess they can afford the rent. I’m a Target junkie anyway – great prices on everyday goods.

11. Nancy Kirby says:

Hurray!!! Been waiting for years for this great news !!!

12. missingtheUWSfeeling says:

Ugh the area is becoming Time Square North. Target, really? I remember when they opened Kmart in the East Village. They never really got the traction they wanted. I guess this is what happens when young families stop moving to the burbs – the burbs comes to the city.

• lynn says:

I miss the old neighborhoods, but we’re not getting it back, so I’d much rather have a Target, which carries ‘everything,’ than another empty storefront. Target actually has better quality bedding than BBB for 1/3 of the price, not to mention small appliances and every day household items. Basic Plus is an alternative but they’re also overpriced.

13. RLS says:

There will be a Target on the first floor of a condominium being constructed on 10th Avenue between 44th and 45th Streets.

14. GG says:

You know you all love Target. Just admit it. It’s OK.

These new, smaller Target stores are perfect for a space like that. Let’s see how the prices are though.

Ahhhh, Target. Now that’s a AAA credit rated tenant a commercial landlord can really love.:)

15. bravo says:

Roche Bobois is opening on the 70th & Broadway! Hurray!

• GG says:

Thank god! I was wondering if I should buy a couch for $30,000.

Seriously though, Roche Bobois is a great addition to the neighborhood. I agree. We ARE allowed to have nice things over here on the UWS without feeling like we are guilty of being sellouts to the ultra-rich.

16. UWS Craig says:

I was hoping that space would become a store that sold artisanal mayonnaise. But Target will also work. At least it is not a bank, a drug store or a Starbucks.

17. Mark Moore says:

Gimme my new Trader Joe’s already.

18. BillyNYC says:

It is Target and a smaller version store. Most of the large chains stores are beginning to do this around the country in the urban cities. What you see online can be delivered to the target store if the store does not carry the item in-store. Similar to Home Depot of which have plans coming to the upper West side also as a smaller version then their flagship stores.
      You can buy online at Home Depot.com and ship it to your favorite Home Depot store.
      Macy’s and Sears are now doing the same.
      at no charge to the customer it shipped to a outlet or store pick-up.