This month, we bring news of new cupcakes, novelties and outdoors goods on the Upper West Side, as well as the closing of two spots that were dear to locals: P&G Bar and Maxilla & Mandible.
But fear not, Upper West Siders. There are some lights at the end of this tunnel, including two highly anticipated openings: Momofuku Milk Bar and a new five-story Century 21. Read on for details on a whopping 32 openings and closings in the neighborhood (organized from North to South), and click through the map above to see where everything is located.
1. H&R Block: Tax prep, get your tax prep here! At 208 West 96th Street.
2. Citibank: Tipster Daren says construction hasn’t started but word is that a new Citibank is going in on the corner of 96th Street and Columbus, where an H&R Block used to sit.
3. Crumbs: Another location of the growing cupcake empire is opening in the spot of the former Infinity West Shoes on Broadway and 92nd Street. Thanks to Daren for the tip.
4. Uniqlo: The colorful Japanese retailer opened a pop-up shop on Broadway between 87th Street and 88th Street, which should stay open into October at least.
5. Rancho: The Mexican spot on Amsterdam Avenue between 87th and 88th Streets closed, to make way for a new restaurant called Mamajuana Cafe. Thanks to Upper West Sider David Janet for the tip.
6. Momofuku Milk Bar: The dessert emporium and offshoot of David Chang’s Momofuku empire will open at 561 Columbus Avenue (around 87th Street) on September 24. Chef Christina Tosi told the Feast that the new spot will have stools and “a really cute storefront.” It will serve sweet and savory dishes, including breakfast sandwiches. And they’re hiring.
7. Baked by Melissa: The mini-cupcake chain will open a new spot in the location of a former Godiva chocolate shop on Broadway between 84th Street and 85th Street. (Crain’s)
8. Blue Donkey Bar: The dive bar on Amsterdam between 83rd and 84th went down swinging after the city deemed it a nuisance.
9. Gastronomie 491: A new food market with organic produce and homemade Mediterranean delicacies will open in October on 84th Street and Columbus Avenue. (New York Times)
11. Balloon Kings: For all your balloon needs, on 80th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam.
12. Vai: The Mediterranean restaurant, which had to leave its 77th Street location because a new high-rise and CVS is going up in the spot, reopened on Amsterdam between 80th and 81st Streets. (My Upper West)
13. Maxilla & Mandible: The unique and well-loved bone, shell, and mineral shop on 81st Street and Columbus Avenue closed its doors on August 28 after 27 years.
14. Serafina 77: An outpost of the New York pizza chain is coming to 77th and Broadway in the former spot of Tom Valenti’s The West Branch.
15. P&G Bar: After being forced to move from its historic spot two years ago, P&G Bar closed its new location at 78th and Columbus last month.
16: The Art of Shaving: As opposed to the mess of shaving, which I practice every day. Get your supplies here, on Broadway between 75th and 76th Streets.
18. New York Historical Society Restaurant: A menu full of small Venetian delicacies and a well-known chef could make this museum restaurant on 77th Street and Central Park West a hot spot.
19. Physique 57: The fitness company that uses a method combining isometric exercises and orthopedic stretches opened last month in the historic Ansonia on Broadway between 73rd and 74th Streets.
20. Earthen Oven: The Indian restaurant on the corner of 72nd Street and Columbus Avenue closed down. Another unnamed restaurant is already seeking a liquor license for the spot.
22. Bin 70 Wine: A sign on the door at 200 West End Avenue (70th) says Bin 70 has applied for a license to sell liquor.
23. Athleta: Gap’s athletic brand opened a store for women last month on the corner of 70th Street and Columbus Avenue.
24. Theory: After moving from 230 Columbus (the spot now occupied by Helmut Lang), the boutique opened at the corner of 69th Street and Columbus.
25. Leicht: The German Cabinet-maker opened a new location few weeks ago on Broadway and 68th Street.
26. BDJ Express: An outpost of Chelsea fast-food vegan restaurant Blossom du Jour is slated to open this month on 67th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam. It will have the same menu as the original Blossom in Chelsea. “A few new items, such as potato pancakes, homemade popcorn, and a Southwestern veggie burger, will be added to the menu.” (Village Voice)
27. Vive La Crepe: The creperie will go into the spot next to Bomboloni on 68th Street and Columbus Avenue vacated by Cafe St. Honore.
28. Century 21: The hotly anticipated new fashion megastore on 66th Street and Broadway opens on September 22 where the old Barnes & Noble used to be. Five floors, 61,000 square feet, off-price brand-name fashion.
29. Indie Food & Wine: The new Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center at Lincoln Center (144 West 65th Street) is getting a fancy new cafe that opens today and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as wildly indulgent snack foods like parmesan black truffle popcorn. We’ll be writing a longer story on it soon, so check back.
30. Josephina: The Lincoln Center pre-theater staple at 1900 Broadway closed quite suddenly a few weeks ago. (Eater)
31. Uniqlo: Colorful cashmere sweaters for $99 at this pop-up shop on Broadway between 61st and 62nd Streets, which should stay open into October at least.
32. J. Crew Men’s Shop: The new store will in the Time Warner Center is expected to open in November.