Six Local Streets to Come Alive With Performances, as City Launches ‘Open Culture’ Program

For those about to rock, we salute you. Photo by S Fitz.

By Carol Tannenhauser

Six streets on or near the Upper West Side are expected to become outdoor, socially distanced performance venues, as part of a new city-wide initiative called, “Open Culture,” which builds on the popular Open Streets program. Depending on who applies for permits and when, the streets will be closed to traffic for performances at various times.

“Open Culture is a new permit type available from the Mayor’s Street Activity Permit Office allowing for ticketed performances,” according to the mayor’s office. “Arts and cultural institutions, as well as entertainment venues, will have the opportunity to secure a permit for socially distanced performances at over 100 street locations throughout all five boroughs.”

Six locations have been approved on or near the UWS:

Spectators can expect to see and hear theater, comedy, music, and other live performances. Applications for Open Culture permits are being accepted now on a first-come, first-served basis. The program will run through October 31, 2021.

For more information or to apply for an Open Culture permit, click here.

ART, NEWS | 14 comments | permalink
    1. Tim says:

What happened to W63rd between Bway & Columbus (right by Dante Park)? That was on the original press release, but is no longer on the city list.

I guess it was decided that wasn’t a good spot?

2. Robert K says:

Wonderful for everyone living on the streets

3. js says:

Curious about the use of 75th between Broadway and West End, impacting Citarella and Fairway shoppers?

This is the second closure of the block.
      Wondering why 75th Street was proposed and selected?
      Why not – let’s say – 76th Street?

• Sue says:

Great idea! Those in line at Citarella will have front row seats.

• UWS_lifer says:

I’ve been on that line a lot lately….totally worth it!:)

Worth the couple extra bucks, too. Best quality food in the neighborhood.

I was thinking about buying some of those beautiful steaks at the butcher counter but I have to see if I can get a second mortgage on my apartment first….hahaha

• thank you for giving the opportunity to read your writing. I always follow your writing, I wish you a long life and good spirit

• UWS_lifer says:

Ummmm….OK? Thanks?

This is obviously a strange bot that we usually don’t see on this site.

Anyway, I’ll take what I can get.:)

• Wijmlet says:

No thanks to 76th: too much noise and crowding.

4. Margaret E. Malone says:

West 75th between Broadway and Amsterdam has two outdoor cafes on the street, a parking garage and the northern side of the Beacon Theater. Its the length of half or less than half of a regular side street. Where the heck are you going to accommodate crowds at a safe distance from one another? This was badly thought out! Do not follow through on this! I live in the one apartment house on this short block and, believe me, there’s no room!

5. ST says:

I suppose residents on the blocks who might like the quiet enjoyment of their apartments don’t matter?

6. Lou Lifson says:

These performances look terrific. Thanks for informing us.

7. lm says:

West Side Rag
      Would it be possible to learn the names and contacts for the entities which have received permits?
      Thanks!

8. Matthew Getz says:

How can we apply to perform at one of these events? I am part of a musical duo named AmberDream. Please advise and thank you.