Report: Fairway Plans to Close All of its Stores (Updated With Company’s Denial)

Fairway plans to close its stores, including the flagship on Broadway and 74th Street, the New York Post reported. Fairway is getting ready to file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy protection, which entails stopping all operations, the newspaper reported.

Other chains have been looking at the store, and Shoprite is particularly interested, the report said.

Fairway’s corporate headquarters did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An employee at the 74th Street store said, “we’re not allowed to speak about it, sorry,” and hung up after we asked to talk to a manager.

Update, 9:40 a.m.: Fairway’s owners told NBC that the report is false.

“Such statements are categorically untrue and disappointing. Fairway has been engaged in a strategic process and expects to soon announce a value-maximizing transaction that will provide for the ongoing operations of stores,” the statement continued. “Our lenders remain extremely supportive of our efforts. All 14 stores remain open for business, offering a complete range of high quality, specialty food products, and we look forward to seeing our customers and employees.”

Ian Joskowitz, chief operating officer of the Westside Market chain, had this to say about the closing:

“It’s sad when any NY institution closes, but it was inevitable when the venture capitalists started calling the shots instead of seasoned supermarket professionals, like Howie Glickberg, Steve Jenkins and Peter Romano. It’s unfortunate.”

This is a developing story and we’ll have more later.

FOOD, NEWS | 132 comments | permalink
    1. Mitchell Jacobs says:

Trader Joe should move in to the Fairway store.

2. Save the Fairway says:

Nooooo!!!!

3. Shirley says:

Tragic!!

4. West side rage says:

Can we finally let go of the myth that private equity/hedge fund/finance know what they are doing? This is a disgrace.

• Confused says:

Right. Because it can’t be due to high rent, high employee wages/benefits, and trying to meet customer demand for lower prices.

• Mark Moore says:

It’s because private equity leveraged the company to expand with large stores in suburban places that aren’t profitable for a company like Fairway.

• Zanarkand says:

You’re right it’s not. Unless you have blinders on and don’t see Fresh Direct and Amazon Fresh trucks every block unloading, I guess you can blame high rent and living wages.

• Pedestrian says:

Sadly they know exactly what they are doing. They make money on the front and the back end and they get to take the cash up front while they load the company up with debt and get paid to manage it. The banks make their cut upfront too. They all win and the neighborhood loses.

5. robert says:

The site is worth much more than the stores value to the creditors. Block (they will buy out Citeralas with a deal that they can come back to the new building) and build on the whole block by 2021 2022

• boopsie says:

I fear robert may be right…what a nightmare.

• Adamro says:

Gotta wonder when this idea came into someone’s head? The 51% private equity share has swapped hands a few times. Somewhere along the way the idea of driving the store into the ground to get at the real estate assets had to be a consideration.

6. Glen says:

If West Side Market were looking to go back to the mid West 70’s now is the golden opportunity.

• Vivsgirl says:

I do not understand the fascination with West Side Market. Over priced, sales on expired items, mediocre prepared food. Convenient, yes. Quality, no.

• MH says:

I agree. The most valuable thing about West Side Market is that it provided a shopping option other than Fairway for groceries and items such as Diet Coke which Trader Joe’s does not offer. And that matters.

7. notai says:

oh no. this is heart breaking.

8. LKLA says:

Can we blame it on the landlord/s?

Does anyone know if they are opening a GoFundMe page?

• irish says:

why on earth would anyone in their right mind contribute to a GoFundMe page for a grocery store, or any other business for that matter. they are not a charity. they don’t care if you can’t afford their goods. your donations would be much better off with a worthy charity.

• Helen says:

The landlords are not to blame in this particular case. Revisit their decisions dating back to 2007 for what happened to this storied institution.

9. Sean says:

It’s the end of an era.

10. UWSsss says:

The end of an era—the only era worth mentioning. From here on out, we’ll increasingly be a city devoid of grocery stores, reliant on Fresh Direct & the like. Within a few years, groceries will be very hard to come by—it’ll be restaurants or bust.

I recently (gulp!) moved from the UWS to Queens, & when I’m back in the city I load up on as much Fairway stuff as I can carry. I miss Manhattan desperately, but I increasingly wonder if I left the the UWS just before its death. I literally grieve these closings, & what they mean for this city.

• Marc says:

Highly unlikely. Restaurants around are dying / recycling too often, and are largely…bleh. Often, after the novelty of a new opening wears out, it’s a subpar experience at a high price. Understandable, given the rising cost of operations, but not a real day-to-day option.

11. Richard Robbins says:

There are many reasons Fairway is expected to file for bankruptcy and close all its stores including that private equity built too many stores and built up too much debt.

BUT…. much blame goes to NYC for allowing Fresh Direct to illegally compete. The NY Post says Fairway pays $6M in rent just for its flagship store. Compare that to just $1.78M Fresh Direct paid in 2018 for 28 THOUSAND tickets. Fresh Direct is illegally using our streets as distribution centers, often blocking lanes of traffic, and saving millions. And NYC has allowed this to happen, letting Fresh Direct trucks remain double parked all day, and giving discounts on tickets so they paid an average of just $63 / ticket, a small cost of doing business.

Thanks in part to continuing to allow this abuse, New York City is losing an essential neighborhood business that has been serving NYC and especially the UWS since 1933.

Politicians who care about local businesses and empty storefronts need to stand up to this blatant abuse by Fresh Direct.

Note: Fresh Direct is different from UPS/FedEx, in that the delivery companies make deliveries and move on, whereas Fresh Direct parks their trucks for 8 hours in the same location while they make scheduled deliveries, using our streets as distribution centers.

• Pedestrian says:

Fresh Direct is a menace. Running their motors and their refrigerators for the entire time they park. Once all the shops all gone the monopoly will do its worst and prices will soar!

Fresh Direct doesn’t compete on a level playing field as Mr. Robbins points out. I wonder where their donations go?

• Katrina says:

And don’t forget Amazon using our sidewalks more and more. Even more than Fresh Direct. So sad what’s going on in our communities.

• Woody says:

Amazon doesn’t use our sidewalks. Delivery companies make that decision.

• Woody says:

At no time of the day can one walk by Fairway and not find the sidewalk and curb lane filled with Fairway’s products, vehicles, garbage, etc. And you’re complaining about Fresh Direct using our sidewalks?

• Jay says:

The 1980s called… they want their mentality back.

• Burtnor says:

Thank you for this reminder of how NYC again and again leaps to support short sighted private enterprise and development that depreciates quality of life and destroys the character of neighborhoods. No more supermarkets, cluttered sidewalks, congested streets.

I fail to understand why people prefer delivery of bruised fruit and vegetables thrown in bags by rushed, underpaid “fulfillment staff” over the pleasure of choosing food from beautiful piles at markets, preferably run by the people who grow the food.

• Woody says:

Then you’ll never understand how people prioritize the limited time they have and don’t put as high value on the type of shopping experience you obviously attach great importance to. There is nothing inherently satisfying about choosing fruits and vegetables, waiting in line, and then shlepping them home. One can make much more productive use of their time.

• judith says:

Thank you so much for this informative comment.

• Vic says:

Fresh direct is for sale also because they are not doing so good also

12. West Side Lifer says:

Let’s just hope they don’t sell the site to a developer for a 50-story condo.

13. Lisa says:

This is heartbreaking news. I can’t imagine the UWS without this store. And they’ve done so much recently – adding mobile checkout, the remodel of the upstairs and addition of cooking classes, etc. So much possibility. 😭😭😭😭 Hoping for a miracle.

14. Sherman says:

The name Fairway still has a big following and a lot of value. My guess is that a supermarket chain will acquire Fairway and keep the supermarket as is.

And no, Fairway’s demise can’t be blamed on private equity firms or landlords. It’s the result of fierce competition, poor management and over expansion.

• Adamro says:

All of those decisions were made by the private equity firm that bought a 51% share of the company a few years back.

• Paul says:

Correct. The equity people financed the buyout and expansion with junk bonds.
          They got an opinion letter strongly advising against it (I saw it) but they went ahead anyway. And the result was inevitable.

• Burtnor says:

1. Fairway isn’t a supermarket. That’s the whole basis of its charm.
        2. Yes, poor management and over expansion instituted by private equity.

15. Tony B says:

Private equity investors yet again load up a target company with excessive debt as part of an over-agressive expansion strategy that wasn’t feasible. The result is a destruction of brand value, jobs and neighborhood convenience. Much to answer for. Such a pity.

• UWsider says:

I am no huge fan of private equity in general. But for the most part, if there is a good business which has just been drowned in debt then there is more value in a restructuring than a liquidation. The equity investors get wiped out and the creditors become the new owners. Liquidations are usually the fault of a bad business model not too much debt.

16. Elizabeth Kellner says:

Uptown Fairway was a game changer for those of us north of 96th for many many years – before Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Garden of Eden, Fresh Direct and all the other on line order options. What an incredible treat for a Manhattanite to be able to take a ten minute car trip, park and stock up on all manner of delicious food. It was a family excursion. My 30 year old son can’t remember a time before uptown Fairway. Will miss it terribly.

17. David Rapkin says:

With the closing of Gristedes on West 86th Street and now the impending loss of ALL Fairways, we on the UWS may be looking at a grocery desert similar to those in highly disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Or is this grocer’s departure part of the larger phenomenon of stores closing all along Broadway in our neighborhood?

We in this part of town have not gotten a cogent explanation why up to half of the stores along Broadway roughly from 59th to 116th Street have closed.

18. Heather H says:

They were finally starting to get their act together. The store was cleaner then it had been in years. They opened up some areas so there was more room. This is very distressing.

19. Doug Garr says:

A case history of how to ruin a good grocery store. They were doomed as soon as they sold out. Part of me is sad, the other part of me is they deserve it.

20. Notai says:

This really hurts. There’s part of me trying to be pragmatic here. Recognizing that we still have other good supermarket options in the neighborhood and that in time this will be another neighborhood memory of the better days.

But Fairway was special. It was a big draw for me when I originally moved to the neighborhood and it has been a fundamental part of the life my family and I built here.

It’s particularly distressing to know that this demise is due to hedge fund tactics that gambled with, and then lost, a NY institution.

I’m hopeful that ShopRite or some other qualified operated come in as a savior, but worry this is just another change to the neighborhood that I fell in love with.

21. John says:

Wall Street did this, and the greed of the owners. They had a perfectly good business, tight margins but great brand and locations. Hedge funders took them public with the promise of big expansion that never happened. The stock was pump and dump. Bankers walked away with the cream.

• sg says:

John, I get that PE ownership may have contributed to the store’s current state, but doubt it’s the only reason. Everyone loves to hate Wall St, but without the revenues it pumps into the city, things would be much worse.

22. Lyriclark says:

West Side Market please please take the space.
      It’s current owners fault. Bad food, unknown inappropriate hot bar (never did demographic homework)RUDE employees no customer service and on and on. Had they bothered to check out the UWS they would have realized their mistakes. And then we have the high prices. So adios Fairway. We need a full service supermarket without the bad attitude. Westside market or how about Morton Williams or anyone else ….btw, anyone remember how great their rice pudding used to be before this takeover?

23. UWSmom says:

I am literally crying. Since moving to UWS 20+ years ago, I measured every prospective apartment by its distance from Fairway.

• sad_10024 says:

I did the same thing when we bought, except I was measuring around West Side market. I’m still upset about West Side Market. Without Fairway I’m now out of options. Zabar’s and Citarella are great – but not for full everyday needs. This is a nightmare.

• Pcnyc says:

I also moved to UWS 20 years ago and relished in my proximity to Fairway, back when Mitchell London made its unapologetic robust Caesar’s dressing for a huge salad that cost $3.50.
        While the produce routinely flaunted its excellent quality; also offered at a fair price.
        The exceptional Fairway operation, run by seasoned grocers, was lamentably derailed years ago.

• CB says:

I’ve been in the neighborhood nearly 40 years, since college, and yes, I’m horrified. First place I ever shopped for groceries, and we still go there all the time.

Crossing fingers for a savior.

24. Roberta Chesler says:

I’m really sorry to see that this full size grocery store is closing but not at all sorry to see the surly, grouchy, nasty check out clerks go – this was a pervasive part of shopping at Fairway and was chain wide so I have to think it was the lack of customer service training that resulted in a group of employees with a complete lack of regard for their employer’s customers – so bye bye checkers!

Now, where are we supposed to shop? – the bodegas, Trader Joes??? Can someone provide answers?

25. Miranda Smith says:

Great news. Messy and dirty . Rotten fish and awful prepared foods .Maybe we can get a Whole Foods mini store or a real supermarket.

26. W70s says:

I’ve been going to Fairway several times a week since moving here in 1974. It’s like a little part of me. Not happy.

27. Lily says:

This is a damn shame

28. SSJC says:

The location is perfect for this type of grocery store. I hope Westside Market or ShopRite operates a similar store in the location.

If they do, I will certainly continue to do all my grocery shopping there! I spend a few hundred each month on groceries for my family.

29. Weird That Way says:

Fairway was a madhouse but it was my madhouse! Remember when Ed Koch and his pal pols used to shop there and go to the restaurant? Like UWSsss, I also had to move to another borough, in my case because I could no longer afford the maintenance fees on my UPW co-op. But I came back to the nabe all the time to enjoy it and to shop at Fairway. I especially loved the second floor. Farewell, my lovely.

30. Mark says:

This is really sad. I shopped there and Westside Market for many years. It is one of the great things about the neighborhood. I also feel bad for the employees losing their jobs. Do we know how many they employ at that location?

31. rwc says:

From the Fairway twitter account:
      They are not closing the stores!

• Glen says:

I wish that were true, but I don’t believe it. That seems to be something they would put out in the hopes its suppliers would continue to ship product. If I were a dairy or wholesaler I would not be shipping to Fairway now unless it was an all cash transaction (which they will probably not be able to do). Further, if Fairway owns the building and it goes into Chapter 7, the US Trustee WILL sell the property and we can look forward to another antiseptic apartment building with a row of empty storefronts at ground level.

• Cato says:

Yes, indeed, the bankers who own Fairway deny, deny, deny that they are closing the stores.

And everybody knows that bankers always tell customers the full, complete truth, right??

32. Lynn says:

What a terrible, and thoughtless thing to do a neighborhood and it’s people. There are no grocery stores. At least at Fairway you could go in and shop and pick up regular items. Trader Joes, etc are limited in their variety. I feel so bad for the elderly in the area that depended on Fairway. I hope the local Politicians don’t allow a highrise on that spot and certainly I hope at least 74th street store can be saved. If not at least another grocery store to provide for the people in the area. So sad.

33. Sheila Wolk says:

my fave store in Manhattan and when all other supermarkets are empty, you can go into Broadways store anytime day or night and its packed with shoppers….so glad there was an update reported saying closing was FALSE!

34. Barbara adler says:

Don’t forget David Sneddon, one of the original owners. Very sad indeed.

• Geraldine says:

The family-run institution that operated on the UWS for all those years is no more. What we have now is a supermarket that is a shell of its former self, run not by grocery experts but by venture capitalists. Thanks Private Equity! Oh and thanks for ruining The Food Emporium, A&P, Toys R Us, Lord & Taylor, Fortunoff, FAO Schwartz, Linens N Things and so many others.

35. Pedestrian says:

When “fund managers” buy going concerns the cash is stripped, the debt builds up but the banks and the “fund managers” make a killing while neighborhoods are devastated. I’m sick of it! Where are the regulators?

36. Mark Moore says:

“Fairway has been engaged in a strategic process and expects to soon announce a value-maximizing transaction that will provide for the ongoing operations of stores,…”

LOLOL. Any moment now the private equity vultures are going to figure out how to not run the formerly successful business into the ground. It’s all in the next deal.

37. Gina says:

I agree with Sherman comments 100%

38. KeepFairwaysAlive says:

What are the names of the rich money guys who did this to Fairways? Wouldn’t it be great to march and protest outside of their work addresses so they can share the repercussions of their actions? I doubt that they care if this neighborhood institution closes as their well-aerobicised wives probably haven’t stepped foot in a dirty ol’ supermarket in years.

39. Adam says:

Fairway should open/move a new store at 67th and Broadway, where Food Emporium and then Loews used to be. Trader Joe’s has a major congestion problem, long lines winding around the store. I use all the area stores because there is stuff you can’t find in one or the other. For those who like to cook from scratch, there is no Fairway facsimile.

• Woody says:

That neighborhood would never put up with the way Fairway operates. People like to bash Fresh Direct for distributing from the street but the working areas around their trucks are far more contained that the sprawl in front of Fairway. What other businesses in the city would get away with using the streets as a warehouse all day? They would be ticketed many times daily.

40. Rima Grad says:

This has been debunked by Fairway

41. Robynn says:

I couldn’t agree with Ian Joskowitz more. We have seen all too often. VC’s come in, open too many locations and then close.

It is another hit to the Upper West Side economy and I am sad not only for residents, but for the many employees of Fairway. I truly hope a positive solution will be reached.

42. westender says:

The flagship Fairway was a nightmare to shop in, and the times I had been there the patrons and the staff were rude. However, the 125th street location nearer me is a fabulous store with reasonable prices on certain items. I truly hope that location remains.

43. susan b says:

yesterday i went into the store to exchange a jar of fairway brand spices for a different one (my error…). the price on the one i wanted was 10 cents more…the original purchase was part of a larger order paid with a credit card. the customer service person required me to use my card to make the 10 cent adjustment…instead of just letting me pay the dime…or perhaps offering an even exchange…instead of taking 30 seconds, the transaction took about 5 minutes. i have been shopping at fairway for about 50 years…i just walked out annoyed…a “neighborhood” business should have customer service person who can be given some discretion. there’s a truism in business that, while a customer who has never had a problem may be satisfied, a customer who has had a problem that was resolved well will be loyal for life.

44. Scott says:

If the report is true, will Whole Foods & TJ’s jack up their prices? That would be the obvious move. I won’t mention Gristede’s because at $7.89 for a half gallon of milk, they’ve already maxed out their pricing opportunities.

45. Old Stones says:

I would like to see the vulture capitalists who bled Fairway dry forced to subsist on 7-11 groceries for the rest of their days.

46. Andrea McKnight says:

The Red Hook community is on total back to having to go out of the community to shop… or get specially items…we recently lost our Santander Bank, Laundromat, 99c Store…now we’re at a certain age where we have to travel to receive services were put in place all these yrs!!! My husband and I are founders of the Bank, Lions Club, served on CB6 for yearssssssss and now the younger folk don’t care to really good the community…I have no more words

47. How can people in the neighborhood help to keep Fairway flourishing? I order from them via Instacart since that avoids the crowds, and it’s been working beautifully. Hope others will patronize them more consistently from now on, in person or online.

48. Leslie Rupert says:

I don’t understand why Venture Capitalists think they are merchants. They are not.
      They destroyed Gracious Home, now this.

49. Schvitz says:

Maybe an opportunity for Westside Markets?

I predicted Fairway’s eventual downfall when it went public a few years ago. I read their registration statement [S-1] with the SEC. Their sales/sqft were declining then, and about 1/3 of total assets were “Goodwill”. The Glickbergs and their venture capitalist partners pulled around $100m out of going public. The lease on their 74th store expired last year, with rent rising to “highest and best use”, according to the S-1.

As for Steve Jenkins, he should just stick to cheese.

50. marcel gacem says:

Trader’s Joe is killing everyone around them,
      why? Lower prices, fast service, ready packed food for busy people and good customer service.
      I’m not a fan of them but they nailed it.
      Fairway was an amazing store until it was bought by investors and the prices went crazy.Greed? yes.
      The building will be probably torn down and high rise will pop up.
      Feel sorry for the employees but not the employers.
      I will not miss it at all.

51. Larry says:

I will be sad to see Fairway go, but it’s a shadow of what it used to be. The quality of the produce has gone down, and the prices have gone way up.

52. J.L. Rivers says:

Fairway has, hands down, the best selection of coffee of any supermarket chain in the city. Roasted by the company and always fresh. They have an incredible variety of beans sourced from anywhere in the world that harvests coffee.
      This is really sad if it is true.

53. Meg says:

Trader Joe’s has too many recalls of items they sell. Let’s hope Fairway can keep all their stores open.

54. lee says:

Wonderful store. Wonderful breakfasts on the second floor. When I got married, we bought the food for our wedding at Fairway.

55. Helen says:

I loved the store in the 90s when they seemed to be ahead of the game with their mix of staples, and interesting well sourced imports. It was bustling. Their expansion to the space next door on 74th/Broadway was well thought out and made for a much better shopping experience.

The family sold a stake to Sterling Investment Partners (private equity) shortly after Whole Foods opened at Columbus Circle in 2005. To me, Fairway started to lose its character and what made it special around that time. The prices started to fluctuate, the quality of the meat/fish/produce started to waver, and it seemed moored in time for things like customer service and their surly checkout clerks.

I miss the old Fairway but honestly, it has been going downhill for at least a decade.

I wish the owners of Fairway had not engaged Sterling and gone public.

56. Brian Perkins says:

To say “ShopRite” is interested in buying is not quite accurate. Wakefern Corp is a large food cooperative that supplies the franchise owners who own individual (or multiple) ShopRite locations. There is no one owner of all ShopRite stores. The current situation as reported leads me to believe a particular owner of some ShopRite locations has interest in possibly buying Fairway.

57. Renee says:

Whatf?!!!! Noooooooo!
      Akin to closing the Empire State Building or discontinuing the Staten-Island ferry…Fairway is an institution, a treasure. Leave it alone: rescue it!
      I’ve left NYC almost 4 years ago, now living in the East Bay-miss NYC sooo much.
      I can’t bear the thought.

58. Marianne says:

Nooooo! This is devastating. My to-go store for the past 30 years! Trader Joe’s by far doesn’t have the goodies and organic produce that fairway offers. And being a dancer, I’m now worried about Steps Dance Studio on the Upper floors – what if a developer takes over…

59. John says:

Just jump on your citi-bike and go to the east side to pick up grocery’s . That is what any woke liberal would do…..

60. Sean says:

It’s like no other market. Just like Bloomingdales is like no other store.

61. Gelmy says:

Personally, I found it very odd that it was sold in the first place. I mean why did the original owner sell it after all these years. Now I find it odd that they are closing. Something really odd about this whole thing.

62. Joe D says:

So? Nothing great about the store except its huge selection.Outside of NYC its prices are high. Within nyc its prices are high but the same as all the other stores with their high food prices.
      This may greatly help to reduce traffic jam on upper Broadway. Now if they can get rid of all those fresh direct illegally. Parked trucks and the graffiti covered food trucks parked next to the food carts and they never move nor get ticketed. I smell payoffs all along Broadway.

• True New Yorker says:

A bankruptcy filing does not mean the company is going away—it could be to effectuate a transaction in court.

And I am sure the people commenting about private equity have tons of experience with the industry.

Remember this, public and private pension funds rely on private equity to get double digit returns for people. Police, fire professionals, teachers, etc. rely on private equity investments.

Everyone would be singing a different tune if they were fully invested in e.g., Fairway and their interests were misaligned with creditors (including employees).

Something to think about.

• Robert Goodman says:

This is low level nonsense. The practices of these private equity schemres suppress the income of most wage earners and eliminate the jobs of many others. Trying to pit the interests of the minority of wage earners who are covered by defined benefit pension plans and who are often public servants against everyone else is typical rhetoric of the wealthy intent on protecting their advantages. If your concern is for the long term financial well being of wage earners spend your time trying to strengthen unions,raise minimum wages and increase support for families with children.

• Helen says:

Not sure I would consider them separate sources b/c they are both owned by Murdoch.

63. Robert Goodman says:

Head spinning trying to understand anyone celebrating the likely loss of Fairway. Where do they intend to shop now for the produce, meat, fish and canned and packaged goods they either can’t find or can’t afford at Citarellas. And those are just basics. A store like Fairway is essential for people who need a wide range of ingredients both pedestrian and more esoteric. As a source of basic foods Citarellas is a branding joke. Zabars fills a few significant niches well but is not a market.

This is really bad news for folks who cook.

64. RB says:

Not sad at all about this. Chaotic to shop at, hard to find items given the layout and the prices are absolutely insane even for Manhattan standards. $5.99/pound for a bell pepper? Are you kidding me?

• APJ says:

Had to reply to at least one of these idiotic comments celebrating the demise… First, bell peppers are 2.99/pound for green and up to 3.99/pound for orange or yellow. I shop there multiple times per week and have never seen 5.99.

But even if that were the case, where else ya gonna go? Trader Joe’s? Wonderful for packaged goods, but their produce is awful. Besides that, there are no other grocery stores in the area. None.

As others have noted, getting rid of the market likely leads to some developer tearing it down and building apartments. Thankfully, it looks like that won’t happen. But I’ll take the “expensive” produce any day over another crappy highrise.

• UWSHebrew says:

Westside Market, Whole Foods and Mani’s Market have the best produce aside from Fairway. Trader Joe’s is not the place for produce, what they carry is tasteless.

• Pioneer Gal says:

What do you mean that there are no other grocery stores. You, and everyone else, seem to have forgotten Pioneer on Columbus and 74th.

65. AJ says:

They’re using chapter 11 to sell the NYC stores to the company previosly rumored, owner of a number of ShopRite stores.
      httpss://www.nasdaq.com/articles/fairway-market-files-for-bankruptcy-2020-01-23

66. Nancy L says:

News this noon. Fairway to close five stores sold to Shoprite. All other stores will remain open while negotiating sale of other stores.

67. Nancy L says:

Not closing. Up for sale tho’. They just remodeled (somewhat) 74th st. Store. Have shopped there since it opened. Beats TJ for oroduce, household products and meats. Love the store and they deliver. I hear Pioneer is closing also. Please work this out. Westsiders need the store.