Fairway Evacuated Because of Fire

A fire broke out at Fairway around 1:50 p.m. on Monday, causing the store and Steps on Broadway dance studio upstairs to be evacuated. Classes were also cancelled at the Little Gym at 2121 Broadway. The address of the fire was 229 West 74th Street, which is Fairway’s storage and dock area.

No one was injured, according to an EMT at the scene, and it was not immediately clear what caused the fire. It was declared under control at 2:59 p.m.

Photos by Joy Bergmann.

1. Jodi says:

I was JUST coming here to see if you already knew about this — and if not, to tell you to have someone “on the scene”!

2. Gena says:

Thank you for reporting on this! I was inside when the firemen came in, and Fairway staff & firemen ordered everyone to leave the store. Staff did a good job giving instructions and gently herding the shoppers out – it seemed to me that they had practiced this sort of thing.

I personally grabbed what I came in with (backpack & bag), left (sigh) my would-be purchases in my shopping cart, and walked out with the crowd. Compliments to the crowd too, which was calm – although many walked out with their full shopping carts (which I totally understand). Luckily there was no immediate danger.

Out on the street, there was a strong smell of smoke, a lot of fire trucks etc. … and many people taking photos.

3. Bishop says:

Both sides of Fairway re-opened by 6. Only an occasional smokey whiff in the southern (produce/deli/cheese) section as of 7 p.m.

4. John says:

Did someone start the fire because the line was too long?

5. Chris says:

I trust people returned with their
      full carts and paid their bills!

6. Kathleen says:

I was there at about 5:45. It was open and I didn’t smell any smoke, but both elevators were out of order, maybe because of the fire?