A hawk that appears to have eaten too much on Christmas Eve ended up in the Central Park Reservoir, where he was fished out by police and taken to a bird rescue organization.
“Yet another well-fed hawk was brought in wet and unable to take off after a big meal,” the Wild Bird Fund wrote on Twitter. “NYPD fished this guy out of the Central Park Reservoir. After a rigorous blow-dry, he’s looking more like the apex predator that he is,” adding “Wild Bird Fund, providing buteo blowouts since 2012.”
On Christmas eve, @NYPDCentralPark rescued a special visitor who had a hard time taking off after a big meal. Our officers were able to wing it and safely transport the hawk to the @wildbirdfund. This brings our official rescued hawk count to 10 for 2018! NYPD – 10/@FDNY – ??? pic.twitter.com/I8H0eSL0k6
— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) December 28, 2018
The bird fund, located at 565 Columbus Avenue, also said the bird appears to have lead poisoning, which is not uncommon among birds in NYC.