Put on the bug spray and bring a picnic! The Upper West Side has lots of outdoor movies showing this month.
Riverside Park: Movies start at around 8:30 p.m. at Pier I, near 70th Street.
- August 1 – Coco
- August 8 – Summer Wars
- August 15 – WALL·E
- August 22 – Up
West Side Community Garden: The community garden on 89th between Columbus and Amsterdam is showing films for the next two Fridays, starting around 8 p.m.
- August 3 – A Wrinkle in Time
- August 10 – Dirty Dancing
Movies Under the Stars: These films are screened at local playgrounds starting around 8 p.m.
- August 9 – Isle of Dogs (Matthew Sapolin Playground, West 70th Street between Amsterdam and West End Avenues. At this screening, an ASPCA Mobile Adoption Unit will be parked in front of the park between 5:30 and 7:30 pm, Council Member Helen Rosenthal says).
- August 22 – Thor: Ragnorak (Booker T. Washington Playground (West 108th Street, between Amsterdam & Columbus Avenues)
Central Park: The conservancy’s annual film fest focuses on New York films and filmmakers this year. It’s held in the meadow between Sheep Meadow and the 72nd Street Cross Drive. Doors open at 6:30 and the movies start around 8.
- August 14: Hair
- August 15: Crooklyn
- August 16: Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
- August 17: The Muppets Take Manhattan