VIDEO: TWO MEN FIGHT ON BROADWAY USING MACHETE, TRASH CAN AND FISTS (UPDATED)

One man swings a machete at the other, who is holding a trash can.

Two men fought each other early Wednesday morning on the corner of 94th Street and Broadway using a variety of weapons, as well as their fists. One man was wielding a machete, while the other man threw a trash can, and used it for defense. They also punched each other in the middle of Broadway, as seen in the video below.

This all happened around 6:50 a.m., according to Paul Tena, the witness who sent us the video and explained what he saw below.

“The fight started around the corner on 94th and moved out onto Broadway. The first trash can was thrown at the car which prompted the man in white to get out his machete. He then chased the man in red into the Broadway median with it at which time I started filming. I stopped filming when the fighting ended. The couple drove off and turned on west 93rd. The police arrived shortly after and the man in red flagged them down, tried to direct them to follow the car and even tried to get in the back seat of the squad car. They didn’t let him enter and sped off down 93rd. At this point a second unit arrived and I told them that the piece of the machete was still in the street in front of their cruiser. At this point the silver car was back again at the corner of Broadway and 94th being pulled over by the first police car. He was handcuffed and other witnesses were talking to both units when I left the scene.”

Update: The New York Post reports that “Cops say the faceoff at Broadway at West 94th Street started when one of the men, a 35-year-old, was walking along the street looking at his phone and driver Louis Roman, 40, made a comment about him not paying attention and threatened him by flashing a gun clip.”

Another tipster also spotted the machete on the ground after the altercation, noting “there looked to be about ten cops standing circled around two knocked over trash cans and a shiny machete blade.” An NYPD spokesperson had no information on the incident as of 10 a.m. We’ll have more information on this as we learn more.

See the video below.

1. UWSHebrew says:

Hey Bruce Bernstein, remember this comment you addressed to me on here just two days ago? “not that i believed your overwrought take on the horrors of Manhattan Valley”…what say you now?

• Bruce Bernstein says:

this “fight” terrified you?

i feel for you. you must live your life in fear, and ultimately impotent rage.

these two “tough guys” broke it up as soon as the woman started yelling at them.

• Paul says:

So two guys from the Bronx got into what amounted to a road rage fight that could have happened anywhere, and the usual gang of bigots and jerks got to posting comments revealing nothing but their bigoted and jerky selves.

Congratulations to all.

2. Josh K. says:

Looks like MS-13 has made its way to Manhattan.

• GG says:

Come on! This is just a stupid and offensive comment.

So now every Latino is a Central American gang member? drug dealer? cold blooded killer?

Is every Italian guy in the Mafia? Still? This is 2017, give me a break.

The reality is that this guy is probably (I said probably people) from la Republica or un Boricua, no? This is NYC after all, not Miami or LA. Anyway, this guy obviously has never been in a fight in his life, no less killed anybody. Probably grabbed that rusty, broken machete from the super in his building.:) hahahah

3. Ish Kabibble says:

That was fun!

4. Jean says:

Sick…
      NO regard for others walking and riding by.
      Just sick.

5. Stan Gross says:

The UWS is a culturally diverse Utopia

• UWSHebrew says:

Stan so is London and Paris!

• Sherman says:

I believe David Dinkins called it a “gorgeous mosaic”.

• UWSHebrew says:

David Dinkins is a smooth-talking incompetent racist. Of course he’ll live till 110, like Jimmy Carter, another beauty.

• OriginalMark says:

Are you mad that he’s “smooth-talking”?

• UWSHebrew says:

Mad? No, it’s just an attribute that blinds many people to his true personality, views and intentions. Like Obama, the smoothest-talking POTUS ever. Charm city. But, underneath it all, an anti-American POTUS (and his not-so-smooth talking wife), the first this country ever had. People get fooled not just by looks, but by charm, and Obama has it in boatloads. If he would run again, he would win, that is how stupid and gullible half this country is.

• OriginalMark says:

Not surprisingly you missed the joke.
              If you calm your emotions you just might develop your wit.

• Mark says:

How you managed to segway into a critique of Jimmy Carter in an article about two men fighting on Broadway is incredible.

The only explanation is that Jimmy Carter is a very intelligent and decent man and you’re, well…

• UWSHebrew says:

Jimmy Carter intelligent? Decent? All I have to do to rebut that is the inflammatory, false narrative he gives, just from the title of his book “Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid”. Jimmy Carter “decent”. Go join another “decent” man, Roger Waters.

• Bruce Bernstein says:

two racist remarks in a row. of course Sherman’s comment was racist. followed by UWSHebrew’s.

• OriginalMark says:

We agree on something – I vehemently disagree with much of what Carter has said and written about Israel and the Palestinians.
              But at least he doesn’t play the sniveling, whining victim.

• Mark says:

UWSHebrew,

Your reply to my comment that you are going way off topic by bringing in Jimmy Carter to a discussion of “Two Men Fighting on Broadway” resulted in you writing that I should “Go join another “decent” man, Roger Waters.”

You need to get a grip on your anger and hatred. It is consuming your reason and lashing out.

6. Scott says:

Good morning, SRO!

7. Eln says:

The guy in Ted seemed more frightened of the woman than the guy in white.

8. UWCider says:

Yes, A machete is an essential tool for the urban jungle of the UWS.

9. WeirdThatWay says:

• NYC_Chic says:

“They could have done a lot more damage to each other if they’d wanted to, actually. I see rage here but also love. I’m weird that way.” OMG, are you trying to get me fired? LMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• WeirdThatWay says:

Yeah, I was silly, for sure. Turns out they didn’t know each other. It looked so personal, somehow.

10. wr says:

This is now the UWS. There are mentally ill and/or dangerous people permitted to squat or pass out anywhere. Thanks, DeBlasio

• Jeff says:

You are right and for some reason it seems very few of us see how dangerous these mentally ill panhandlers can be until its too late.

11. ron shapley says:

New York is an uncivilized, third world shithole ~~ This proves it ~

• Mark says:

I agree with you ron shapley.

• ScooterStan says:

Re: ‘New York is an uncivilized, third world shithole”

REALLY???
        Then THAT would explain:
        1. why the city had almost 50+ MILLION visitors last year!;
        2. why so many films/tv shows are filmed here;
        3. why there are so many luxury buildings already built and more under construction;
        4. why so many recent college-grads want to live here;
        5. and why other cities are so eager to try, usually unsuccessfully, to imitate NYC.

Guess ‘ugly is in the eye of the beholder’.

12. Avi Tennenbaum says:

This is my neighborhood and I can tell you it’s gotten significantly worse over the last few years. Thank you Mr. Mayor for your hard work in making this city safe for everyone…oh wait, that was Bloomberg. Mr. DeBlasio, you sir are the worst mayor this city has ever had. I can’t wait to see you go. Let’s just hope a decent democrat will be willing to challenge you.

• Helen Miller says:

The city has the lowest crime in recorded history, thanks to the mayor and his ongoing support of the NYPD.

• Carlos says:

The documented crime rate is low because deBlasio is telling NYPD not to enforce the laws. There is much more petty crime and low grade bad behavior going on now than there was 5-10 years ago – it does feel a lot more like the 80s.

deBlasio and NYPD are too worried about being accused of violating people’s civil rights, and in the process are violating my civil rights to not have to worry about a guy with a machete.

• UWSHebrew says:

actually it was Giuliani who cleaned up the city, Bloomberg just continued his policies. Remember how some were complaining about Bloomberg being too nosy with a soda tax? He does not look so bad now, right? after 94th street the aggressive homeless situation is OUT OF CONTROL.

• Sean says:

Guliani hasn’t had much success as a husband and father. His parenting skills suck. He’s only good at being a bully. His driver Kerig went to prison too. Such honorable men. Obviously the guy in the video is mentally ill.

• UWSHebrew says:

I don’t care about the personal lives of Giuliani or Kerik: they both did a fantastic job of turning this city around. Lots of great men were terrible at their personal lives, FDR and JFK to name just two. You really cannot admit that Giuliani was a Godsend for this city and DeBlasio is a horror? Sad how ideology makes some blind to the truth.

• Laureen says:

vote for Nicole Malliotakis- a republican, and only, challenger to deBlasio.

13. Paul RL says:

Fascinating video. There was a strange feline-like choreography about this fight, almost the way two cats will circle, posture, attack, then start the dance over again.

14. AC says:

This brings back memories of what the UWS looked like when I was growing up. Bunch of ‘want to be tough guys’ – comical how the weight of the machete results in him losing it after a swing (indicates he’s never used one) and how as soon as there is an indication that a police car is near, they immediately parts ways (0:56).

The City that Never sleeps!

• JR says:

Actually, the blade broke of from the handle and went flying, almost hitting the bystander in the foreground. Probably broke because he slammed the blade into the sidewalk in the beginning of the video.

15. Westside_Mimi says:

YIKES, the Wild West side is back! Thankfully, no guns were brandished as there could have been collateral damage as folks stood there seemingly nonplussed. Wonder what caused such rage?

16. Upper West Side Wally says:

Where is the footage of the two white bicylists fighting each other over space for riding on the sidewalk in front of Walgreens last week? It was so much funnier; neither one really wanted to get off his bike!

• Independent says:

“[…]the two white bicyclists[…]”

Why did you find it necessary to mention their race? Would you have done so if they had been “of color”?

17. az says:

Crazy. This reminded me of a Key and Peele sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3JOQqoCNjc

18. Mia says:

Everyone of us needs to call Helen Rosenthal’s office. She, too, is up for reelection. I have called multiple times about all the panhandlers and increasing crime, but they don’t seem concerned. We HAVE to work to get a better Democratic candidate. If Ms. Rosenthal wants to represent us, she should take a stand against the Mayor on these issues. As far as Deblasio goes-he will be reelected if all we do is complain about him. Who is in charge of the Democratic Party in NYC? Who is responsible for his candidacy?

19. UWS Resident says:

Almost positive I saw this same guy throwing trash cans and yelling and harassing people a few weeks ago, also early in the morning. He’s clearly a threat and seems to be looking for trouble. Scary.

• lynn says:

I also saw something similar happening with the garbage cans but it was closer to Fairway. Could be the same guy. It never occurs to me to take out my camera when things like this happen.

• NYC_Chic says:

OH goodness, why lie? They said he was a pedestrian and this happened over an argument about him almost getting hit. This guy doesn’t stand there randomly throwing garbage cans just to stop your enjoyment of your ritzy neighborhood, you big victim!
        On top of that, neither of these two look like they have ever had a fight in their lives. The driver threw his machete and it broke. The guy in the red shirt opened the lady’s door, got yelled at and then ran. I don’t think one punch connected and neither of them was able to actually hit his opponent with the beverages they used as missiles. This was the worst fight ever, both paid the price for acting out with their dignity. Laugh a little, like us real New Yorkers.

• Jeff says:

NYC_Chic you nailed it. I never thought I’d see a fight involving a machete and a trash can in which the participants looked so bumbling and pathetic.

Someone should edit this video so it’s faster and dubbed to Yakety Sax.

• GG says:

This might be the funniest thing I have ever read on the WSR.

I literally LOL’ed. I can see it in my head. I used to love the Benny Hill Show back in the day. Good stuff.

• MsKay says:

I agree! What a sissy fight! And, I’m a girl, LOL!

• Uws lady says:

I’ve seen him Around too causing problems.

20. Izzy says:

Ah! This is the best video I’ve ever seen! I actually laughed out loud while watching it. These two idiots deserve each other!

21. Jonathan S says:

1. Who keeps a machete in their car
      2. Throwing a machete is not cool
      3. Wow these guys are the worst hand to hand fighters I’ve ever seen

22. p says:

Where do you even buy a machete in the city?

23. Louise says:

WTF!

24. UWS Craig says:

I sincerely hope this argument wasn’t racially motivated because that would be disappointing. Our diverse community can be a source of strength and I don’t think people should be taking sides in this argument. It was a street brawl and no group should be singled out as responsible. Shame on any who think that way.

25. Sean says:

So if you delve further into this story, you find out that the aggressor who was the man in the car started the fight because he was enraged that the man in red was crossing the street looking at his cell phone. The guy with the machete is not from the UWS or from a shelter etc. He is from a place called Belmont and works for the MTA.

26. Arlana Girven, Walker says:

This was CRAZY 2 people that don’t even know one another trying to kill each other, for what? Tip, do not pull out weapons that you can not use.

27. Karon Richardson says:

It must be the heat. 🙁

28. Arlana Girven, Walker says:

I also wanted to state that it was so sad to watch grown men(one with a woman in car) risk EVERYTHING for WHAT? I also pray it was NOT racially motivated, both men REALLY need 2 seek spiritual guidance.

29. ron shapley says:

You know the white guy is being prosecuted, right ??

30. Zulu says:

Damn bike lanes…

31. Sarah says:

Wow, it takes work to be this stupid. Grown men, too! If you’re still getting into street fights at that age, you need to reconsider your life choices. All of them.

How this turned into a referendum on Jimmy Carter, I’ll never know.

32. Paul RL says:

I think I’ve seen this fight before.

33. Thad says:

Funny, the overturned trash looks like ny other day of the week on that corner.

34. Cyrus says:

Who the hell travels with a machete in their car? Sounds like the guy trolls around looking for trouble.