Operation Backpack has helped kids whose parents struggle to get them school supplies since 2002. This year they want to get 20,000 backpacks for children who live in homeless shelters or domestic violence shelters. There are two dropoff spots on the UWS, and you can drop off filled backpacks through August 4:
Here’s how to help:
· Purchase and fill new backpacks and bring them to official drop locations from July 10th to August 4th. A list of Official Drop-off locations can be found HERE.
· For a list of the grade-specific items that go into the backpacks, click here: http://www.voa-gny.org/what-
· The public can build fundraising teams on VOA-GNY’s behalf by going HERE and asking family and friends to donate.
· Financial donations will help VOA-GNY purchase items still needed including 6,464 sets of colored pencils; 2,776 scientific calculators; 6,766 glue sticks; 2,816 fine line washable markers; 7,016 assignment planners; 28,390 composition books; and more. Financial donations can be made at www.crowdrise.com/
· VOA-GNY is seeking additional financial and major in-kind sponsors including those who would like to “adopt a product,” for instance the 28,390 composition books at a negotiated price of $14,195. To learn more, please contact Rachel Weinstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-496-4305.