PAY IT FORWARD ONE SLICE AT A TIME AT SAL & CARMINE PIZZA

pizza wall

By Joy Bergmann

Eat one; give one. That’s the charitable idea behind a wall full of post-its at Sal & Carmine Pizza, the venerable pie palace at 2671 Broadway near 102nd Street.

Customers may purchase an extra slice (or five) for a hungry neighbor who can redeem the offer by pulling a post-it from the wall.

According to the Saturday counterman, a hunger-fighting organization called Change Matters approached the pizzeria with the idea and took care of mounting the sign about a week ago. So far, about 80 slices have been purchased and await their recipients.

Thanks to Zev for the tip.

FOOD, NEWS | 24 comments | permalink
    1. June Quarfordt says:

This is a most wonderful idea! It makes me happy. How does a hungry person get to know about this? I will surely visit and place a “post-it”!!

2. Lucy says:

That is wonderful! Sal and Carmine’s is my favorite Pizza Place.

3. Leesa says:

This is great!

4. Brandon says:

This isn’t an area I frequent but I’m going to get up there this week just to post a few post its. Thanks for telling us about this WSR.

5. Ronald Crump says:

So nice of Sal and Carmine to sell those charity slices at full-price. I know where I’m getting free lunch (maybe dinner, too) this week 🙂

6. William10025 says:

Sweet!

I go to Sal and Carmines about twice a month. Will make sure to buy a extra slice

7. Yugo says:

How do we know the slices are actually going to people in true need? What’s to stop lazy bums and freeloaders from taking advantage of other people’s largesse?

I can imagine youths, especially, doing this, in order to have more money for frivolities (if not worse).

• jezbel says:

If you’re hungry enough to need a piece of pizza, whether or not you’re a “lazy bum” you should be able to get a piece of pizza. If I’m paying for an extra slice or two, I’m not taking names… I’m buying it for someone who’s hungry. No questions asked. That’s the concept of “paying it forward”.

• Sally says:

Right on, Jezbel! And it’s “slice” of pizza.

• Cato says:

I (and my friends) grew up calling it a “piece” of pizza. And I suspect everyone here knew just what jezbel meant.

If you want to call it a “slice” of pizza, please go right ahead. We’ll all understand you, too.

• Brandon says:

Yugo,

How do you know people going to soup kitchens are truly hungry? I had the same thought you did about teenagers but the truth is there are hungry kids too. I’m happy to buy them a slice.

• Young Sally says:

Yugo —

I have to agree with Brandon….people who go to food pantries and soup kitchens are in need…often for more than just food. And if you don’t believe it, try getting signed up to get food at a regular program….lots of paperwork…

8. Laurie says:

How wonderful. This is such a great idea. Such a simple thing to do with such a profound impact.

9. Steven says:

Shouldn’t we be buying them quinoa bowls and kale salads?

10. UpperUWsider says:

While this is a great idea, it is absolutely not new. Has existed in Europe for decades with coffee. I believe it was born in Naples.

11. Bruce Bernstein says:

hurrah to the guys at Sal & Carmines, Louis and George. i’ll be sure to go in and contribute.

and it’s also far and away the best pizza on the UWS!

• UWSHebrew says:

best pizza on the upper west side? try saltiest pizza, anywhere.

• Bruce Bernstein says:

obviously it’s a matter of taste. but as a native of Queens, i lament the decline in NYC of pizza by the slice. Sal & Carmine’s is what i consider “authentic” NYC pizza: the crust, the cheese, the tomato sauce… especially when it is fresh out of the oven.

just my opinion.

• Sally says:

I tink it’s a tie between Sal & Carmine’s and Mama’s on 106. Both great.

• Cato says:

I share Bruce’s lament for the disappearance of good pizza in Manhattan. The biggest problem with most “slice” places is that their turnover is too slow, so that most of the time you get a reheated slice. And that’s just awful, almost always.

I find that the cheapo places (99 Cent Fresh and Two Bros) turn out pizza that’s pretty good because you’re nearly always getting a slice that was fresh minutes ago. They’re making less per slice but making it up in volume because more people are buying. Wish we could get one up here.

• 92nd street says:

Of all the amazing Pizza Joints in NYC, those are the one’s you want here?

I must disagree. If there is a Pizza God, then please send to the UWS a branch of:

Bleecker Street Pizza
              Marta
              Luzzo’s
              Pizza & Artichoke
              Lombardi’s

…and a Doughnut Plant.

• Cato says:

I’m glad you got to show off your “Best of” list, but how many of those places have *any* branches?

12. 92nd street says:

That’s the point. The UWS would make a great branch or Satellite site for one of the greats.

The two big sellers in my immediate area are Pizza Pete’s and Numero 28, both are satisfactory for what they are. So imagine if a high quality joint found a decent location, it could be the start of a wave of great eats making their way to the big box upper west.

• dannyboy says:

The UWS’s gentrification was the death knoll for pizza. A minute of silence from the respectful, please.