Several animals died early Monday morning after a pipe burst at The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine on Columbus Avenue and 87th Street, and the center has been forced to stop taking appointments.
“Six parrots — three African Greys, two Pionus Parrots and a Conure — died along with one parakeet, two rabbits and a hedgehog,” the Post reported.
A fundraising page set up to keep the office running explained what happened:
“Yesterday morning, sometime between 6:30 and 8AM a heating coil in our main heat unit burst. It was connected to the main hot water pipes to the entire building, and exploded with scalding hot water and steam. Steam and hot water burst through the ceilings and permeated the entire practice.
While the damage to the practice is devastating, the real horror is that some of our beloved patients did not survive. Words cannot express how devastated the owners are, and how terrible the entire staff feels for them.
Not only did we lose precious lives, but now with the overwhelming water damage, we are unable to see appointments here. More animals that we cannot help.”
The fundraising campaign had already raised $19,815 as of Tuesday night at 11:20 p.m. They’re aiming to raise $35,000.
Photo from The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine.