The Calhoun School is hoping to update its facade and entrances at its campus 433 West End Avenue (81st street) and will present the details to Community Board members on Thursday night. We received the rendering above from preservation group Landmarks West, but don’t have all the details. The plan will go before the Community Board 7 landmarks committee on Thursday night starting at 6:30 p.m. at 250 West 87th street. It will eventually have to go before the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
Here’s the community’s board’s description: “Application to the Landmarks Preservation Commission for modifications to the ground floor entrance and facades, alterations to the adjacent exterior spaces, and installation of a new mechanical unit at the roof.” At right is a photo of the school in 2009.
The applications below are also going before the board on Thursday and are listed before Calhoun’s, so the school’s application may not be heard until later in the evening.
1. 48-50 West 69th Street (Columbus – Central Park West.) Application to the Landmarks Preservation Commission for replacement of windows and doors, façade restoration, and roof-top addition expansion.
2. 48 West 71st Street, Apt. 2F (Central Park West – Columbus Avenue.) Application to the Landmarks Preservation Commission for window replacement.
3. 305 West 72nd Street (West End Avenue – Riverside Drive.) Application to the Landmarks Preservation Commission enlargement of an 11th floor window opening on the west façade and replacement of the window.
4. 294 Columbus Avenue, aka 100 West 74th Street, d/b/a Bocca Di Bacco. Application #14-7673 to the Landmarks Preservation Commission for restoration of existing facade columns and installation of new wood and glass doors.
5. 60 Riverside Drive (West 78th – 79th Streets.) Application to the Landmarks Preservation Commission to replace one existing balcony door & window with one new slide door.
Photo of Calhoun in 2009 via Wikipedia.
Go for it! It’s not like they’re likely to make it any uglier than it is today.