FIRE AT NEW CONTROVERSIAL HOMELESS SHELTER SPARKED BY CIGARETTE: REPORT

A fire broke out on Tuesday morning in a fourth floor apartment at 316 West 95th Street, where a new homeless shelter opened a few weeks ago over community opposition. The fire was apparently sparked by a cigarette that lit a mattress ablaze, DNAinfo reported. It was not clear if anyone was injured; the building’s sprinklers put the fire out.

That shelter has been fined numerous times in the past few years for inadequate safety features.

Read all about the controversy over the homeless shelters here and a nearby shooting here.

Photo by a tipster who wished to remain anonymous.

NEWS | 3 comments | permalink
    1. BILL says:

      WHAT A SURPRISE!

    2. Don Arrup says:

      Mattresses have beeb fire retardant for decades and since the resident wasn’t even there whose cigarette could it have been?