728X90

HUMPBACK WHALE SPOTTED IN THE HUDSON RIVER

whale1

A humpback whale has been hanging out in the Hudson River for the past few days, and a reader spotted it passing by the Upper West Side on Saturday.

Jamie Knox took this photo of the whale at about 70th Street on Saturday at about 4 p.m. Here’s a closer look:

whale3

“Hopefully, it’s just chasing fish. There are a lot of fish inside the harbor and up the Hudson River,” Paul Sieswerda of Gotham Whale told the Daily News.

“The whale appeared healthy, and video shows it feeding on schools of menhaden, or bunker fish,” NBC reported.

The Palisades Interstate Parkway Police Dept posted the photo below of the whale near the George Washington Bridge.

And NBC got video of the whale too:

NEWS, OUTDOORS | 15 comments | permalink
    1. Zeus says:

Reminds me of the absolute best bumper sticker I ever saw – and it goes back at least 20 years:

“Save and protect the unborn gay whale”.

2. 92nd Street says:

City is gentrifying so quickly; Starbucks, Big Box Shopping, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Humpback Whales…

3. ScooterStan says:

Re: “a reader spotted it passing by the Upper West Side on Saturday.”

But, of course. It was probably trying to get to Zabar’s for the famed lox, herring, and whitefish.

4. FYI says:

“The whale spirit animal is the earth’s record keeper for all time. As a totem, the whale teaches you about listening to your inner voice, understanding the impact your emotions have on your everyday life, and following your own truth. When the whale enters your life, it may be time to closely examine where you are, the actions and emotions that have brought you to this point, and what you can do to alleviate existing drama and unrest and find peace. Those who have the whale as their animal totem are in touch with true reality. They are nurturers and go-getters who understand there is more to this life than meets the eye.”
      –Google whale symbolism

5. Red Raleigh says:

It’s all de Blasio’s fault! 🙂

6. Ira Gershenhorn says:

Missed it! I was out along the river at 1pm Saturday and took a few photos of river and there’s no whale in any of those photos so I know where it wasn’t. The river was flat. If there was a spout I sure would have noticed. I’m glad it got noticed.

7. Random DaniBoi Comment Generator says:

Now my nightmares are coming true. Yikes!

8. AH says:

How great is it that efforts to stop dumping and clearing up the NY rivers is actually working — not only a little sea life again (fishing in the rivers) but finally enough progress that a whale — A WHALE — has decided to come swim up for a visit!

9. Eln Lou says:

I have a simple message to this majestic guy/gal, WELCOME TO NY!

10. MaryDowns says:

Late Sunday afternoon, the whale could be seen roughly in the area beyond the 59th St pier.
      Dozens of birds flew in circles overhead as the whale repeatedly “lunge fed” for dinner. It was such an amazing sight; I stayed until it was finally to dark to see.

11. janice dunham says:

What a treat! I will be on the lookout for that whale as I look out the window.