By Gus Saltonstall
Before the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade goes strutting down the Manhattan streets on November 23, the iconic balloons and floats will come to life during the Upper West Side inflation event on November 22.
Crowd favorites from Snoopy to Ronald McDonald to Smokey the Bear to Stuart the Minion will be inflated 24 hours before the parade.
The event is open to the public but here’s the information you’ll need to know to get behind the scenes of the legendary balloons.
- Wednesday, November 22 from noon to 6 p.m.
- Entrance to get to the viewing location is at West 72nd Street and Columbus Avenue.
- The viewing location is outside of the Museum of Natural History between West 77th and 81st streets.
- There will be volunteers within the viewing area to help guests find their way along the route.
- Guests can exit west along any block from West 82nd to 86th streets.
There are a variety of items prohibited from the inflation-event viewing area, including umbrellas, backpacks, large bags, chairs, alcohol, drone,s and e-cigarettes.
The closest subway station to the entrance point is the B and C stop at 72nd Street and Central Park West.
Additionally, Central Park West will be closed from West 72nd to West 86th streets beginning at 2 a.m. on November 22 through noon on November 23. 72nd through 85th streets will also be closed from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue for the same time frame.
You can find out more about the inflation event on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade’s website.
You can subscribe to WSR’s free email newsletter here.