By Carol Tannenhauser
Children ages 5-11 were cleared on Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to get low-dose Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations.
To make it easier for families to vaccinate their children, “some school sites are offering the first dose of Pfizer vaccinations to eligible students ages 5-11 during the month of November,” the Department of Education (DOE) announced. “No appointment is needed; you can simply walk in with your student on the day of your school’s pop-up vaccine site. It’s quick and easy, and will help keep your student, your family, and your school community safe.”
The sites will start vaccinations soon — students at PS 163 on 97th Street, for instance, can get a shot on Nov. 9. The whole list of dates and other info is here.
Here are the rules and guidelines set forth by the DOE:
- Students ages 5-11 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or by an adult designated by the parent or guardian, while receiving their vaccine. If the student is accompanied by an adult who is not the parent or guardian, the vaccine provider must obtain verbal consent from the parent or guardian by phone at the time of vaccination.
- You will not need to provide proof of immigration status or a social security number to get vaccinated.
- You do not need health insurance to get vaccinated—the vaccine is free.
- All records and information associated with vaccination are kept strictly confidential.
- Vaccines are administered by trained medical professionals.
- On-site telephone interpretation in multiple languages will be available.
- You are encouraged to record your student’s vaccination status in the DOE’s COVID-19 Vaccination Portal(Open external link).
- If you, your student age 12 and up, or someone else you know is still in need of a vaccine, you can visit vaccinefinder.nyc.gov(Open external link) today to choose from hundreds of sites across the city offering appointments or walk-up vaccines at no cost.
To find the date and time when your child’s school will serve as a popup vaccination site, click here. Scroll down to Find a School Near You. The schools are listed by borough in numerical order.