A car that initially appeared to be overheating suddenly burst into flames on Sunday night in front of the Apthorp on Broadway between 78th and 79th Streets. Ronald sent us the photo above and the description below.
“At around 9 PM Sunday evening a car pulled up right in front of the gate of the Apthorp Apartments on Broadway. It was steaming and overheating. The man got out and looked at the engine which began heavily smoking and, with a woman still sitting in the front seat, people began shouting for the young couple to move away from the car. The woman finally got out of the car just as the car violently burst into flames. The entire courtyard of the building was filled a thick acrid, tar-smelling smoke. Fire trucks soon arrived and put an end to the fire and to much of front end of the car.”