The St. Agnes Boys High School on 87th street and West End Avenue has been sold for $50 million to Cary Tamarkin, a developer and architect known for building condos. The school shut down after the 2012/2013 school year, and the building was still owned by the Archdiocese of New York.
The brick and limestone building was constructed in 1907-1908. It has 42,000 square feet and sold for $1,190 per square foot. “It lies within an R10A zone and possesses approximately 39,000 square feet of additional air rights.”
The building is part of the West End Avenue-Riverside Historic District. “The school was built by the New York Protestant Episcopal School Corporation (aka Trinity School) to house St. Agatha’s School for Girls (established 1898) its sister school. Trinity sold the building to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese in 1941 and it became the home of Cathedral College, a high school and college seminary. Since 1992, it has housed St. Agnes Boys’ High School, a Roman Catholic school formerly located on East 44th Street.”
The school had been considered as a possible site for a new UWS school, and we’ve heard some disappointment that it will instead be used for luxury housing. “Why didn’t the DOE – Facilities Planning – not bid on the school building when District 3 is so desperate for school space?” wrote Batya Lewton.