RESTAURANTS ON AMSTERDAM (EXCEPT FOR ONE) ARE UP AND RUNNING AFTER GAS LEAK CLOSURES

Three restaurants on Amsterdam Avenue between 79th and 80th Streets that were fully or partially closed for months because of a gas leak in the building have finally reopened, while one remains closed.

Italian restaurant Pretto on the corner of 80th was only fully closed for 8 days after the late January leak, and then went on a modified menu until a few weeks ago, an employee told us. Indian restaurant Saravanaa Bhavan reopened about a month ago, an employee said.

Indian restaurant Swagat was closed for months, but reopened a few weeks ago, according to owner Lala Sharma. The restaurant is still trying to get customers back, in part because Google continues to show them as closed:

Sharma said he hasn’t been able to get Google’s error remedied.

But T&R Pizza remains closed with a sign on the door. No one has been picking up the phone when we call.

FOOD, NEWS, OPEN/CLOSED | 7 comments | permalink

Your email address will not be published.

1. AC says:

Last I heard (from the cleaners next door) T&R has decided to upgrade their kitchen and renovate their premises. They are hoping to be open and running by mid-summer and in time for the school season.

2. UWS Dept. of Comment says:

it doesn’t bode well for a restaurant to say they have “a gas problem”

man, take an ant acid and reopen the place!!

3. Sid says:

I love Swagat! They were open in February, so how many months were they actually closed?

4. Leda says:

Don’t know whether it actually works, but there’s a place on Google to report if a restaurant listed as closed is actually open.
      There’s a down arrow next to the words “permanently closed”. Click it, and then click “report”.
      I like Swagat, and hope they get the error corrected on the web.

5. Spence Halperin says:

T&R has been there for many, many years. Before the gas leak it appeared that they were experiencing real competition from Saba Pizza which opened on the same block relatively recently. I wonder if they have decided to move on.

6. Carlos says:

I love Swagat. I mainly order for delivery but the few times I have eaten there the staff has seemed very nice. Everyone should rally to help this neighborhood restaurant – trust me, you won’t regret it!

I am also a fan of the pizza place and hope they rebound as well.