Edgar’s Cafe, at 255 West 84th Street, paid homage to Edgar Allan Poe, who lived in a farmhouse on West 84th Street in the 1840’s. Poe wrote The Raven in that house in 1844.
The Mediterranean restaurant had a large portrait of the famous author in the dining room. It was open until 1 a.m. on weeknights and 2 a.m. on weekends, and locals loved to go there for late-night coffees and dessert. The cafe, which had been around for about 20 years, closed last April, reportedly because the owners couldn’t afford the lease. (There’s another Edgar’s location on 92nd and Amsterdam.)
Locals have been waiting for months to find out what would replace it, many hoping that it would reopen as a cafe.
Now we know, courtesy of a tip from Howard Freeman, who saw a work order on the window. It’s going to be a hair salon.
Quoth The Raven, “Nevermore.”
For more recent Upper West Side openings and closings, click here.
Photo by Avi.